Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 418962 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1035 on: August 26, 2009, 07:58:22 pm »
OK, I have the Potato Pie book but have not started it yet ..... hope to tomorrow.

I've been working on answering questions in a book called "To Our Children's Children."  There is so much I wish I knew about my grandparents and great grandparents ...... what life was like for them in the Dust Bowl years, the Great Depression, etc.  Since I have never written journals or diaries, I thought this guided book might allow me to tell a little bit about my parents' lives (as I remember it) and my life ..... to leave for our grandchildren.  Kind of helps the old brain in the process ..... recalling events, places I had not thought about in years ...... like a little fishing lake in northeast South Dakota that my dad would take us to fish.

...... ah, back to "...... Potato Pie ......."

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #1036 on: August 26, 2009, 08:06:15 pm »
I am picking it up from the library tomorrow...they called AFTER I got home last night to tell me had arrived at the library I had been at.  You have to get this...the SW branch of the library is literally less than a mile straight down the street from my house but the NW library is by where I take Kendie for gymnastics 3 days a week so I was at NW yesterday and requested (it was on the way back there anyway) - if it was coming to SW, I could've picked it up on the way home - it must have come RIGHT after I left (was probably there when I was, they just hadn't processed it yet!!)

Anyway, I will have it tomorrow afternoon!  :o)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1037 on: August 26, 2009, 09:32:17 pm »
My potato book is currently in transit - compliments of Amazon.com and my credit card of course  ;D

Can't wait to start reading.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1038 on: August 28, 2009, 03:20:15 pm »
What a great, engaging book!  I can hardly put it down.  Ever since the AN surgery, I have had trouble with vision fatigue when I read for too long ..... words start to jump around for me and I have to quit for awhile.  But, I'm sure frustrated having to put this book down.  Sara, thanks so much for suggesting it!

Happy reading, everyone!

Clarice

Kaybo

« Reply #1039 on: August 28, 2009, 03:38:35 pm »
Was supposed to get it yesterday, but Kendie is sick so didn't go to gymnastics over there - picked it up today after taking her to Dr.  Will start tonight or tomorrow...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1040 on: August 28, 2009, 06:42:50 pm »
Probably won't start til Monday.  Amazon is delivering to my work address.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #1041 on: August 28, 2009, 10:52:34 pm »
I started it the day I flew to Texas; found it at the airport. I like it! It's different - delightful. I haven't read it the last few days because we've been on base with all the AF ceremonies. Willl probably get back into it Monday.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #1042 on: August 29, 2009, 09:29:17 am »
started it last night - really like it so far!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #1043 on: August 29, 2009, 10:29:42 am »
I'm enjoying reading about your reading and have decided that there is no way I can be part of this  club!
I will be the cool onlooker, receiving vicarious pleasure on your posts and wishing I could participate.
Maybe in a couple of years ???
I'm currently reading "My Sister's Keeper" so I'm about 5 books behind :D
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kaybo

« Reply #1044 on: August 29, 2009, 10:32:14 am »
Maureen~
Why can't you join us?  We are VERY laid back and don't ever start discussing until we know that everyone has finished (or if they tell us to start w/o them - I have done that before)...it has really BROADENED my reading horizons!  I know Lori doesn't read with us but has also read a lot of the books that we read later!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #1045 on: August 29, 2009, 10:55:11 am »
Hi K,
Can't join because I can't keep up with y'all! I guess I CAN join, but can't really participate much.
Still struggling with juggling part time work, home, and the tinnitus is so bad, that I can't read at night before bed >:(
So OK I guess I will join and like Lori, will just read the books that you guys recommend at my slow pace.......
Happy reading :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #1046 on: August 29, 2009, 12:47:51 pm »
I enjoy the thread, too.  I'm a very fast reader with eclectic tastes but my reading interests usually don't encompass the chosen books (or anything close to them).  I'm more of a non-fiction guy and my reading tastes would likely bore the life out the club members.  So, I'll simply use the comments as ad hoc reviews of books that I'm not likely to read, unless the 'reviews' are so compelling as to motivate me to sample one of the chosen tomes for light reading, which I do indulge in, often in the science fiction genre, which can get somewhat arcane.   So, just know that the 'Book Club' thread has readers that may not participate - but do follow the thread.  It's all a part of the appealing diversity of views and tastes of the forums on this website. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #1047 on: August 30, 2009, 10:07:51 pm »
Jim,
Your last post about books could be in the potato book. Make sense? Probably not. I'm loving this book.

My hubby's now starting Time Travelers Wife.

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

sgerrard

« Reply #1048 on: August 30, 2009, 10:12:42 pm »
Keri, you write charming little notes. :)

I have started in on this one, and also am quite enjoying it. The letter writing is an interesting way to unravel the story that lies underneath.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1049 on: August 31, 2009, 06:19:16 am »
Jim .....

Although The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society book is fiction, it is based on facts from the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_the_Channel_Islands  I am enjoying the book not only for its unique letter-writing style, but for the historical description of what life was like during the occupation.  Quite different from other fictional novels I have read.

Clarice