Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 418769 times)

moe

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1665 on: December 27, 2010, 09:46:42 am »
I got the Kindle so I'm ready to start reading more in my large font (that darn eye thing!), and can't wait to "catch" up on some books and reading.
Looked at the Nook which looked nice, but decided to go with the cheaper Kindle. I just got myself a Sprint 4G phone, so didn't want to appear tooo greedy!
Happy reading everyone!
Moe
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kaybo

« Reply #1666 on: December 27, 2010, 10:03:24 am »
"Santa" brought Addi a Kindle with the understanding that we would share it (wonder how long that will last?)...even though she is a bit young for such expensive things (IMO), she is a voracious reader - something I want to foster!! We will continue to check out books from the library, but books we would buy anyway (new releases), we will try to get on there. She is like me in that when she is in a series & finishes one book, she wants the next one IMMEDIATELY! I understand this but since we aren't 5 minutes from b&n now, I can't just run out & get it. Hopefully this will help. My decision was based on the fact that I know NOTHING about any of the "e-readers" & my SIL is a Kindle fanatic & can guide us! Also, that she shares her collection with us - on Christmas morning, Addi's Kindle had 45 books that she'd put on it!!
;D

PS The series Addi is in now that I carefully timed so that I only bought enough books to get her up til Christmas...not on Kindle!!  :P
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #1667 on: December 27, 2010, 10:16:20 am »
K,
You are sooooo lucky to have an avid reader child, and I am envious! I have always had to prod my kids to read, even after library days and reading every night and all that.
They are older now, and the middle one likes to read, so they do change.

Anyway, looks like you are going to have a difficult time "sharing" the Kindle!!!!!!!! Good luck with that. When's your birthday????!
Moe
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kaybo

« Reply #1668 on: December 27, 2010, 10:31:55 am »
I have 3!!! While I LOVE that, they are going to read us out of house & home! The youngest hasn't found her "series" or genre yet so at least she's content to read what lying around left over!  Funny thing, Addi didn't start really reading until a couple of years ago. She is dyslexic & couldn't ever get thru a book.  She finally found something that kept her interest & so she found the joy of losing yourself in a book! No stopping her since!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1669 on: December 27, 2010, 03:25:15 pm »
Ms Kaybo, your girls are my kind of girls!  Both my son and daughter gave each other books for Christmas, and when we get together, one of the first things we talk about is what we are reading.  It took Drew until 4th grade to discover his genre (fantasy) but there is no holding either one of them back now! 
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1670 on: December 27, 2010, 08:28:21 pm »
Yaaaaaayyyyy for all of the young book worms!!  In this day and age of technological wonder, so many kids are balking at reading.  It is a joy to hear that we still have many readers coming along!  I think every one of the members of our extended family had put books on their wish lists so everyone received at least one book.  Our son gave his wife a Kindle for Christmas.  The new ones are much smaller and thinner so easy to prop up on the treadmill, or wherever.

It is really a good thing when we can incorporate the good things from the past ..... book reading ..... with the technology of the present.  Wonder what our grandchildren will be using in 25 years?!?

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1671 on: December 29, 2010, 03:17:49 pm »
25 years from now ??? chip implanted in head ... sensor in eye ... you scan a list of titles ...blink on it twice and it is stored in your chip ... to access you twist your ear , click heels together to pull up list ... scan down the list and blink on the title you wish to read ... close you eyes and think your way through it  ;D ... or not

was playing with a friends Nook Color ... could be persuaded to like it ... it would be nice to carry when not at home ... doctor offices , school , etc .... and I could flip pages of real books at home ... I feel like a traitor to paper books  :'(

my girls read more and better before changes in AR program at school told them what to read ... their teaches have a list of have to read books and then a list of suggested reading based on who knows what that the kids are suppose to pick books from ... some books although supported by AR and we have tests on them in the school computers , will not be accepted ... so if Hannah wants to read a certain book she can't do it until grading period points for grading period are met ... and if close to end of a period she may not have time to finish a book before having to start on points to meet requirements  for next grading period … this has sucked the joy of reading out of her and many others ...

you know who it hasn't hurt ??? the kids who read because they have to ... they just read what they are told to read ... the ones that used to like reading and had begun to develop a preferred genre and are now being told what they have to read are the ones having issues with the whole thing ...sad really … I figure when she goes to high school and no longer has AR to deal with she will either start reading more or stop other that what is required …
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1672 on: December 29, 2010, 05:59:02 pm »

I know what you mean, Soundy.  My daughter dives into books and hardly comes up for air.  When she was in third grade, I found a little mystery story I knew she would like, but when I gave it to her, she burst into tears.  It seems she "had" to read a certain number of books from different genres which meant she didn't have time to read the ones she really wanted to read.  Then when she was in fourth grade, she was in advanced classes and was expected to do a book report on every book she read, and she was supposed to read one book right after another. There were 28 in all, I think, by the end of the year. It is a wonder she is still in love with the printed word!  I had just gone back to teaching full time at that time, so I took notes on what public school was doing to actually discourage free reading and designed my reading program to lure kids into books instead of making them a chore to be dreaded.

Priscilla
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Soundy

« Reply #1673 on: January 10, 2011, 09:04:04 am »

I posted the below response before seeing "don't post warning " ... don't remember who had posted about the girls and their problems with reading becoming a chore to be dreaded ... that is where the quote came from ... Hannah read a required book without prodding over the weekend and has started another ... I went to the school library and picked some books  out and made her check them out ... and she has liked them ...old books I read at her age and younger ... some of the newer books with all the magic , vampires , sci-fi and  fantasy ( more fanatical that what was around when I was a kid ) are just not her cup of tea ...now that she has several books behind her that she liked and has  the points  she needs , she has read the require Lois Lowry book " Gathering Blue" ... one I have not read ... she finished it without griping

below is earlier post
" chore to be dreaded " ...I am  going to steal that phrase ...

what is even worse to her is that she has already read some of the required books ... The Giver for example ... she read it in 5th grade ...it is already on her record as read and the system kicks you out if you try to test on a book for second time ... so she has to read it with class and do a report on it and additional assignments ... but she can't test on it again .... so aside from assignments and report she will lose points since she can't read multiple books at same time ... I can read several and follow all ... she can't ... so there goes a couple reading weeks for her ... she already did the book report so when it comes up (it is one they are reading out loud in class ) she will just have to do question sheets as they come up... she has managed to read two books on Christmas break and if she passes the AR tests will get 18 points ... she has to have 20 for grading period so has 5 weeks to get those last 2 ... she is ahead for a change

I just ( between 4 and 7 this morning )  read the book Oogy about a pit bull pup that was used as a bait dog ... it was not the best written book I have ever read  but the story was touching and touched parts of me ...

as the owner of all rescued dogs and cat , and owner of one cat who had his tail chopped off because someone dumped him at my son's ex in-laws and my sons former BIL who didn't like cats thought chopping off his tail would make him leave , and did so ... Oscar didn't leave but kept hanging around begging food ... I went over to pick up my son and his then wife ...when I saw Oscar , now mutilated where a few days before he was whole , I opened the door to my truck and asked if he wanted to come home with me ... he hopped in my truck and rode home sitting at my shoulder watching the world go by ... he is the most loving cat I have ever had ... and I honestly didn't pick him up ... I invited him to come with me and he understood and came away with me  ...

I wonder if he was always a sweet loving cat or being rescued after being hurt if he was grateful ... now nearly 10 years later I wonder what would have happened to him had I not opened that door ... I wonder this at 2AM when he has to go out … he refuse a litter box which is fine except when he gets me up at 2 to go out … if no one is home and he is inside ,  he goes in the shower and we have a bottle of Lysol cleaner to spray it and then rinse … this is only about 3 times a month and I know not the thing many would tolerate but it works and I wish I could tell Oscar it is OK to pee in the shower at night … but he insists that if someone is home he is to go outside … when it is raining , snowing or just cold it is no big deal … he is in and out in 5 minutes … if the weather is good he likes to let you drift off to sleep and then wake you back up 30 minutes later to come back in

I told you mind is in drift mode … anyway … Dog lovers , Oogy is one for you …
Translab July 2 ,2007

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #1674 on: January 11, 2011, 12:31:08 pm »
I have had my Nook for almost a year and love it. It goes everywhere with me. The best thing are the free books on Fridays. I haven't bought a book since June. I bought the nook because my wife kept after me about all the books that were piled up after I read them. So I bought the nook and donated them to a Vets center that works with brain damaged vets. I just started reading again since my AN surgery back in August. I just didn't have the desire to read. Now it is back.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1675 on: January 16, 2011, 01:16:35 am »
I am reading a nice little book now.  Dewey the library cat.  True story, and interesting.  If you like cats, libraries, or animal stories, you will enjoy this book. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

cindyj

« Reply #1676 on: January 19, 2011, 08:41:20 am »
I am reading The Passage by Justin Cronin right now...any one here read it?  I will wait til I'm finished to give my overall opinion, but I'm very curious what you think, if you've read it.  It's very well written and it's nice and long with great details, but my final vote for or against is going to depend on how it all wraps up in the end...could be a great book or a disappointment?  It is a page turner, though, for sure!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1677 on: January 19, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »

Cindy, I started that book but didn't get far enough in to get engaged with any of the characters.  In fact, there wasn't a single one I liked.  My daughter wanted to read it so I gave it to her.  When she brought it back at Christmas, she told me I hadn't read far enough because I hadn't met the "good guys' yet.  So, I will try again when I finish my current  Houston book group book, Unbroken, by the woman who wrote Seabiscuit.

Priscilla

cindyj

« Reply #1678 on: January 20, 2011, 08:19:36 am »
Hey, Priscilla...yes, there are definitely some good guys in the book...we get to know the characters quite well as the author is constantly changing the speaker in the book.  I am really wondering how in the world it's going to end - it has some bazarre concepts which I can't imagine how will be played out.  Will come back w/ a report once I've finished it...let us know what you think after you've read it!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Soundy

« Reply #1679 on: January 21, 2011, 04:24:02 pm »
Currently reading Bad Dogs Have More Fun ... a collection of articles John Grogan wrote for the news paper ... not all about
animals ... section on family  , life in general and animals

need a good long book to get into ... been reading too many quick teen targeted books
Translab July 2 ,2007