Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 418865 times)

sgerrard

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #795 on: January 05, 2009, 11:42:45 pm »
I've been re-reading a 600+ page book on fossils of invertebrates and other fun botany and zoology stuff. I'm pretty sure it would put most people fast asleep - it puts me out some evenings. (insert sleepy face here).

As the snow thaws, maybe we can revive the book club. Let's find another Thirteenth Tale.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #796 on: January 06, 2009, 08:25:23 am »
I will have to ask Kathy (my SIL who recommended that) if she knows of another "great"...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #797 on: January 06, 2009, 01:06:12 pm »
Kay, I'm reading Promise Me right now.  I read Tell No One and Hold Tight right before Twighlight.  They have all been very entertaining.  He has, thankfully, written enough books to keep me busy until I can get the next Twighlight book.  Wasn't Outlander great?  I just loved all the details Diana Gabaldon gave about that period...and, of course, I loved Jamie and Claire!  I read all six books back to back - my husband was not too happy with me during that time :D

Steve, does that book at least have some pictures? 

Happy Reading All!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JudyT

« Reply #798 on: January 06, 2009, 07:25:20 pm »
What a great idea! I love to read.....bought a Kindle last year for my birthday present to me.....the ability to increase the font is wonderful......A New Earth and Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle are wonderful.......just suggestions.
Judy

joebloggs

« Reply #799 on: January 12, 2009, 09:12:52 pm »
Hi Kay,

Don't know if anyone has suggested it - I've got pretty slow internet here at the moment and didn't really fancy going through the page and pages of replies for this thread! - The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger is a really good book.  Everyone I know who's read it has loved it.  I think they've just finished making a movie of it and it will be released this year, so you should try and read it before the movie comes out!

Also, The Bride Stripped Bare is a good book...bit naughty though - not one for the kids!  It was originally released as by Anonymous, but then the author's identity got out and now they market it as by her, Nikki Gemmell.  I think originally she wanted to write it anonymously so that she could try and write it with quite 'out there' honesty.  I think if I'd written it, I wouldn't want anyone to know I had!  Anyway, it's a good book, different, and think you can get it in the US through Amazon for super cheap second hand as it's a couple of years old now.

Hope that helps!

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

cindyj

« Reply #800 on: January 18, 2009, 07:39:46 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, JB -  I got The Time Traveler's Wife today and started it - think it's going to be very interesting!  I read about four Harlan Coben books in a row and needed a different type of book before getting back to the rest of his....yes, they've all been very good!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

joebloggs

« Reply #801 on: January 19, 2009, 02:50:56 am »
Good luck Cindy, hope you enjoy it!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

cindyj

« Reply #802 on: January 27, 2009, 08:48:25 am »
Finished The Time Traveler's Wife - great book, JB!  Thanks for recommending it.  This is one that the Book Club should read - you have to buy into the time travel theory, but it's so different and so well told.  Think you all would like it.

Cindy
feeling great!

Tisha

« Reply #803 on: January 27, 2009, 09:33:16 am »
Cindy,

Sounds like you and I have the same opinions about books.  I LOVE OUtlander and have started my reread in anticipation of the new one coming out this fall.  It will probably take me about 7 months to finish all 6 of them because I'm not in a hurry.  I also love TTW and am looking forward to the movie.  Have you read The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons?  It's a trilogy and my second favorite next to Outlander.  I also enjoyed the trilogy These is My Words by Nancy something or other (can't recall her last name).  Just some recommendations.  I'm totally enjoying the world of J&C again!

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

joebloggs

« Reply #804 on: January 27, 2009, 04:46:02 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it Cindy!!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #805 on: January 28, 2009, 11:47:55 am »
Since I am still at home and very bored, I have read everything I can get my hands on.  I just finished People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks and loved it!  My book club assigned Sarah's Key, by Tatiana de Rosnay, and that was very sweet and poignant. Made me a little teary at times.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #806 on: January 28, 2009, 11:15:14 pm »
Priscilla -

I purchased Sarah's Key a few months ago because I heard it was fabulous.  I haven't had time to read it, but based on your comments, I'm going to make it my next book.

I'm currently reading The Beach House by Jane Green.  I'm only on chapter 8, but so far it's a nice, light read.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #807 on: February 03, 2009, 07:10:59 pm »
I finished Beach House a few days ago and just started Sarah's Key last night.  It's a fascinating book - very hard to put down.  I highly recommend it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JulieE

« Reply #808 on: February 04, 2009, 08:40:03 am »
I hate to come and be demanding - but do we have a concensus on a new book?  :)  I know we have Valentines coming up, but seems we could set a date for the end of Feb/early March to start a new review!  I know everyone has been busy ;)
Jules

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #809 on: March 19, 2009, 10:30:10 pm »
Just wanted to give this thread a gentle little *bump* in case someone suggests a book that I might find on tape/CD or be able to finish before surgery!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"