Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 418881 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #825 on: March 27, 2009, 06:32:57 pm »
Yes, there is a sequel to the knitting book, but I can't remember the name of it.  I loved the first one, but can't imagine enough good reading with Georgia!  (and my husband wouldn't have picked it up to read on a bet, so Steve's words of wisdom on book selection are probably very good!).

Jodi Piccoult is my favorite author!!!  Couldn't find the book of hers that was mentioned previously but there's a bunch to choose from.   Although, I"m not sure if Jodi has a large male audience for her novels.....   I've not read any others that were mentioned, so I'm good withever we decide.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #826 on: March 27, 2009, 06:55:39 pm »
I've been re-reading a 600+ page book on fossils of invertebrates

Steve,
What's the book on fossils?  My daughter's a paleontologist, and her birthday's coming up.
Thanks.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

sgerrard

« Reply #827 on: March 27, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »
Nancy,

I had to go find that post to be sure I really said that. I did actually say "fossils of invertebrates and other fun botany and zoology stuff," which is a little closer to the mark.

The book I mentioned is The Ancestor's Tale, by Richard Dawkins. If you don't know of him, he is a famous/infamous professor at Oxford who is aghast at the idea of teaching Creationism in science classes - and a sharp critic of religion in general. Hence my being coy about the title of the book in the earlier post.

Fortunately the book contains only a few of his barbs, and is mostly an enjoyable scholarly tale of the history of living things, told in reverse order as he traces back through 40 evolutionary branches from humans to bacteria. There are lots of interesting tidbits of biology, and probably at least a few new things for every reader - Trichoplax adhaerens, the only known species of the phylum Placozoa, for instance. I could go on. I liked it, anyway.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #828 on: March 27, 2009, 09:48:47 pm »
Hey Kay,

They are two books, both excellent.  And by the way, I will be in OK visiting my daughter during Easter.  Are you coming to Houston then?  We just keep missing each other. Boo hoo!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

« Reply #829 on: March 27, 2009, 09:55:23 pm »
Priscilla~
Say the best of the two and let's get started on one to get this going again.  Is that OK with everyone??

Yes, we are flying in on Thrusday night & out on Monday.  The kids were SUPPOSED (until today) have a "built-in" snow day that Monday (we were just going to take them out that Friday since Dave has that day off).  We already have our tickets so now they will just miss 2 days.  I was raised in a family where we NEVER missed school and then couldn't understand it when I taught.  However, NOW I think that time spent with Grandparents that aren't always going to be here is an OK reason to miss (w/in reason)!  Plus, our family from SA will be there and we will all be together!  Sorry to miss you again!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

NancyMc

« Reply #830 on: March 28, 2009, 06:30:50 am »
I just started The Story of Edgar Sawtelle at the recommendation of my sister-in-law.
Nancy

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #831 on: March 28, 2009, 08:54:22 am »
Kay,

Hm-m-m-m....which one did I like the best?  Sarah's Key is a pretty quick read because you get caught up in the story quickly.  People of the Book is based on a true story and has a lot of history in it, but the main characters are strong, too.  Maybe Sarah's Key?

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #832 on: March 28, 2009, 11:25:41 am »
I read "Sarah's Key" not too long ago and highly recommend it.  It was sad, but well written and very interesting; easy to read too.

I've also heard that "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" is very good.

I'm supposing to be reading "The Lace Reader" which was sent to me by a friend with a very good recommendation.

As for Oprah's book recommendations, I generally like them - especially the ones by Anita Sheve (or that Shreve?) and Wally Lamb. 
I have to say though that although I was anxiously waiting for Wally Lamb's latest book "The Hour I First Believed" I thought it totally sucked.  As soon as I finished it - which I found to be a chore - I resold it in an attempt to recoup some of the $30 I paid for it.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #833 on: March 28, 2009, 02:07:57 pm »
The sequel to Friday Night Knitting Club is called Knit Two. It is set 5 years after the first book, and follows all the other characters in their lives. "Warm and fuzzy" is the general description. There is talk that there will be a movie based on Friday Night Knitting Club. :)

I think Sarah's Key sounds like a good choice for discussion, though some have already read it. I just ordered a copy.

Other titles mentioned so far:
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
People of the Book
Time Traveler's Wife
1000 White Women

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #834 on: March 28, 2009, 04:48:37 pm »
Thank you Steve for making a list for us!  Have you read Knit Two??  Warm & fuzzy - such a great description for a knitting book!

I am off to find Sarah's Key - when do we want to have it read by??  Let's start the engines on this Book Club again!! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

NancyMc

« Reply #835 on: March 29, 2009, 08:44:16 am »
Wait, wait!  Do they allow books in the OR and ICU?

Jan - Shreve, I do believe.

Nancy

lori67

« Reply #836 on: March 30, 2009, 09:51:54 am »
Nancy -

ICU - probably, but you won't feel like reading.  OR - no - unless you can read in your sleep.  And I don't think you want your doctor reading while he's supposed to be working!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #837 on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:17 pm »
I was allowed books in the ICU, but didn't have any inclination to read them.  In addition to double-vision, I just didn't feel like it.

As far as in the OR - I'm with Lori  ;)  :D  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

« Reply #838 on: March 31, 2009, 07:03:41 am »
Yeah, I was just kidding.
Nancy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #839 on: April 01, 2009, 10:44:59 pm »
Yeah, we know  ;D