Author Topic: SCUBA Diving After AN Surgery  (Read 8423 times)

BostonJake

SCUBA Diving After AN Surgery
« on: November 12, 2005, 07:29:02 am »
Does anyone here know anything about SCUBA diving an AN surgery.  I'm curious and was wondering if anyone out here had any experience in this area.  I really cant wait to get back to diving, but need my doc's approval first.  Any idea what I can expect?

Thanks,
Jake
3.2" AN Removed at Mass General Hospital, 10/18/05
Proton Therapy at MGH summer of 2006
No news really...

linda l

Re: SCUBA Diving After AN Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 11:39:13 am »
Hey Jake
Its your fellow Oct 18th surgery patient!  You must be feeling pretty good to be thinking diving already!  I was wondering how you were doing.  Did you lose your hearing?  I had a good outcome with no facial nerve damage, and the doc thought he saved my hearing nerve, but so far no hearing.  This has been really difficult for me; the numb feeling on that side causes me alot of anxiety.  I was wondering if you had any of those issues.  Balance is now pretty good, unless I turn my head fast.  Taking it a day at a time as I am sure you are.
Linda

dpericoni

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 05:00:40 pm »
Linda and Jake,

I am three weeks post surgery. I had a small tumor removed at House. I did lose my hearing. First, Jake, I was told that I couldn't dive again because of the fear of losing the hearing in the other ear. Linda, I am struggling with the hearing loss too. Have you heard how long it takes to get use to being deaf on one side?

Darlene
5mm by 8mm AN

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:42:42 pm »
So good to see you three posting and obviously doing well. I have never been a diver so I cant help with that question but the hearing loss and getting used to it...I just two days ago tried to answer my phone using my deaf ear ::) totally forgot that I could hear and was almost angry that someone called and wasnt answering me. :) Boy did I feel silly when I realized and switched ears and the person on the other end was saying "hello, hello....can you hear me now???" :D
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

linda l

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 01:43:12 pm »
Darlene ( and others struggling with this!)
I have not realy read anywhere on the forum how long it takes to get used to the deafness.  I would appreciate any input that you all can give.  One of the hardest parts is being around any noise; I have tried going to the grocery store and a restaurant, and my hearing side is so hypersensitive that it beomes ovewhelming. And  that leads to more anxiety...I can only hope it gets better.
Linda

dpericoni

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 01:45:40 pm »
Linda,

I am three weeks out tomorrow and I too struggle with this deafness. I had to leave the grocery store because all the noise was overwhelming. Sensory overload, I think. It's at least nice to know that I am not the only one with this problem.

Darlene

Rex

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 03:18:42 pm »
Hi Jake,

I am also a scuba diver and had a 3.1cm AN removed last August via translab.  Here's what my ENT (Dr. Jackler @Stanford) told me:

-After full recovery, there isn't anything physically that would prevent you from diving. (I was wondering if translab would effect my ability to equailize my AN ear), but...
-Strongly recommended that I do not dive because scuba can be hard on the ears and since now I only have one hearing ear...why take the risk
-If I still want to dive, he said to make sure I am in good health on the day I dive (no cold or allergy problems) and should restrain myself from any deep diving
-I have also heard from several people that the first time going underwater (even swimming) after AN surgery can be very disorienting.   

Since I have a 3 yr old, 18 mos. old,  and a 3rd on the way, diving (AN or no-AN) isn't in the cards any time soon so I have plenty of time to decide  :)

Rex

bluestar

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 03:33:40 am »
There was a thread on scuba diving some time ago.

I am not a diver but check it further.

Hope this helps.

Bluestar
bluestar

BostonJake

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 12:29:16 pm »
Hi Gang,
First off, great to hear from you all.  I too am struggling with being deaf in one ear.  It's driving  me somewhat nuts.  Any place with backround noise, weather it be construction, traffic, a loud cafe, the mall, or whatever causes a lot of anxiety with me.  I cant hear a conversation and have a hard time even pretending I know whats going on.  Even tv commercials are bothering me and I find myself turning the TV as low as it will go often.  Which is odd, consdiering I'm deaf in one ear.  I'm curious if anyone here works in a cublicle type office setting?  The phones where are work are difficult for me to figure out, I have no idea if my phone is ringing or not, so everytime I hear a phone ring I'm always looking at my phone to check.  oh well.

thanks for all the input,

Jake
3.2" AN Removed at Mass General Hospital, 10/18/05
Proton Therapy at MGH summer of 2006
No news really...

nannettesea

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 05:12:05 pm »
I was a diver, too, actually my symptoms came on suddenly after a dive/cruise but my doc said it was just a coincidence.  I don't believe that.

Sadly, I won't dive again because I'm not willing to jeopardize the other ear.

I'm three months post-op and plagued with constant dizziness, worse than before the surgery, and worried something else is wrong....

Personally, I would give up diving and find another love.  I LOVED diving, but to me, again, not worth the risk.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 06:47:52 pm »
I'm curious if anyone here works in a cublicle type office setting?  The phones where are work are difficult for me to figure out, I have no idea if my phone is ringing or not, so everytime I hear a phone ring I'm always looking at my phone to check.  oh well.

I'm the same way, but that what Voice Mail is for! .. and cell phones drive me nuts too .... I cant tell if its my phone or someone elses ..change your tone to something no one else has .. I just got BAHA, and its my first day Monday in the office with it ... its not perfect but I seems to help a little with nosiy places...

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

marie

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 09:49:17 am »

Re cell phones:   What I do is wear the phone on my waistband/belt and keep it on vibrate whenever I'm in a noisy or "problem" place.  Otherwise, I have it on a ringtone that my grandson put on it.   It plays a peice of classical/dancey music.  I've never heard it on anyone else's phone.
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

russ

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 11:27:05 pm »
 Hi Rex!

"I have also heard from several people that the first time going underwater (even swimming) after AN surgery can be very disorienting."

-Yes; There is a name for the phenomena but I can't remember it. I would give up the diving just because of this aspect. If the vestibular system is impaired, diving is about as close to weightlessness as one can get. Murky enough water and one might find themselves swimming down while thinking they are swimming up and become panicky. Much as walking in a dark room with a vestibular deficit.

Take care!   -Russ

okiesandy

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 06:03:05 pm »
Hi Group,

I am so glad to know that others have the phone problem.  I work in a small office and have to look at my phone everytime it rings to see if the light is on. I kind of solved the cell phone problem. I bought a little loop thing that goes around your neck, it is used for an i-pod. Hooks onto the cell phone and really works great in a noisy place. If it is really noisy I will put it on vibrate. Why I don'd know because I couldn't talk on it any way. Several of my hearing coworkers have bought them because they can't hear their phones in purses or pockets.

I am 7 months with single sided deafness. The first month I went out of a restarunt crying because I was so frustrated. A Mexican place with music blaring, dishes clanking, children screaming and I could not hear a thing. Couldn't hear the waiter. Couldn't hear my husband.

I started with other quieter places and have learned to seat my self where my ear in to the waiter. Also I have started complaining about the noise level in a couple of places and they have moved me to a quieter section. I also have not problem telling anyone that I can't hear what they are saying and please speak up and look at me when you speak.
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

katmumof3

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 04:26:58 pm »
Jake i've never been scuba diving myself, however my surgeon told me to never go deep sea diving. Because of the loss of balance, when you get to a dark area, it's impossible to tell which way is up or down.  If you go diving jake, please make sure you can see the surface!!!
2.5cm AN removed 26/4/06 retrosigmoid
awaiting follow up MRI