Author Topic: Has anybody had treatment from Dr. Kartush at Michigan Ear Institute?  (Read 3503 times)

Ron

We're scheduled for January translab and want to know if anybody has worked with Kartush?

Rena

Re: Has anybody had treatment from Dr. Kartush at Michigan Ear Institute?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 04:16:32 pm »
Ron - I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Kartush on December 1st.  He's perfoming the retro-sigmoid approach because I still have good hearing.  I'm very confident in him as he comes highly recommended.  I'm having my pre-op appointment with him on the 22nd.  Best of luck to you...I will keep you updated on my treatment.  Rena
Rena
1.2cm Rt Side Meningioma
Removed December 1, 2005
Dr. Kartush & Dr. Pieper

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 03:37:31 pm »
Ron,

My contact with Dr. Kartush has been limited, but I do go to the Michigan Ear Institute and see Dr. LaRouere, he actually performed my first surgery with Dr. Pieper. Are you having your surgery at Providence? I'm close to scheduling a stage 2 surgery. I've been very impressed with the folks at MEI ... I would recommend them, and Kartush is the leader over there so I think you're in good hands.

gail s

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 07:58:27 pm »
Ron,
I had translab surgery performed by Dr. Kartush and Dr. Pieper in two stages. I had a large acoustic neuroma, 3.5 cm.  First surgery in November 2001 and second in April 2002.  Both surgeries went well and aside from hearing loss in one ear, life is back to normal. Good luck, please post after your surgery and let us know how you're doing.
Gail S

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 03:53:28 pm »
Gail,

Could you tell me a little bit about your second surgery with Dr. Pieper? I'm getting ready to schedule my second one and I have no idea what to expect. Easier the second time around? What are your thoughts on Pieper?

gail s

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 06:56:09 am »
Ron,
Actually both doctors perform the operation. I believe Dr. Kartush opens the area and Dr. Pieper removes the tumor. The second operation took the same amount of time for me, but recovery was quicker having already dealt with the balance and hearing issues. I did have a bad headache following the second surgery that I did not experience with the 1st surgery, but still all went well. I never really spoke much with Dr. Pieper. He was introduced to me by Dr. Kartush and I seem to remember him stopping by my room to check on me. Aside from that I don't recall talking to him. My memory of the details has faded over time, which is good!
I am off to Vegas for the week, so if you post any other questions I will try to respond when I return. Will be thinking of you.
Gail

Rena

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 01:42:51 pm »
Hey everyone.  I just had my surgery December 1st with Dr. Kartush & Dr. Pieper.  It went very well!  I ended up having a menengioma instead of a neuroma so removal was easier.  I did not lose my hearing and my facial nerve is intact.  The whole experience was much better than I had thought it would be.  Both Doctors are wonderful and so was the staff at Providence Hospital.  I had wonderful care from the nurses and tech's.  If anyone has any questions about the doctors or Providence Hospital and staff, please ask!
Rena
1.2cm Rt Side Meningioma
Removed December 1, 2005
Dr. Kartush & Dr. Pieper

mjurski

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 02:10:39 pm »
Ron,
Although I can not comment on Dr. Kartush's bedside manners or surgical expertise, I can say he has won many awards for his work, and he is highly touuted at the MEI as the head physician. What I can say is his dimeaner is wonderful and he is very knowledgable. I had all my dealings with Dr. LaRouere who teamed up with Dr. Pieper to remove my Glomus Jugular tumor. It seems much more different then your issue, as my surgery was a one time deal to remove the golfball like tumor from my middle ear, which required the loss of the jugular, mastoid bone, two of three hearing bones, and splice of the facial nerve. Needless to say, I lost a good % of hearing, but far less then anticipated, I had a huge scar on my head and neck, which is barly visible just 7 months down the road. My facial functions are back to roughly 40 %, and the tumor was completly removed without harm. Providence hospital is super. I can not say enough about that group. I had an angio embolization prior to surgery and that went flawlessly, and they were able to cut off 90% of the blood supply to my tumor. One piece of advice, even if you don't have to.....GO tinkle before you start.....I made the mistake of saying....nah...then had to pee-pee laying downy....no fun. Anywho.....you are in GREAT hands Ron, I believe that with my heart and soul. Best of luck to you   and remember....its not your job to worry about their surgery or ability, you are not helping them at the time....you need to concentrate on HEALING. Thats it.....heal.....which means being positive, push yourself, believe in yourself, and believe in your team.......Faith goes a long way. God Bless