Author Topic: Makes me wanna go hmmmmmmmm?????  (Read 6249 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Makes me wanna go hmmmmmmmm?????
« on: March 13, 2008, 05:42:47 am »
or smack my doctor upside the head but since I am not a violent person
I will just cross my eyes and moan and vent here

Ringing in deaf ear seems to be getting louder and have had an ear ache ... I went in
to be checked for an ear infection and there was none ... more steroids were prescribed
then we moved on to talking about the BAHA fight...

I mentioned talking to people here and similar problems with getting it paid for ...

I was told that maybe I was causing myself more problems by reading too much here...
asked if anyone else had mentioned more ringing in their ears... >:(  ... told me sometimes
people in a rough spot take on the symptoms of others with similar problems to justify not
feeling their best

So we are all just making each other sick and can close  this board down and go home  :o ... we don't have
ringing in the ears ,dry mouths or metal taste , droopy eyes , drooping mouths or memory problems...
we are not dizzy and no not have headaches other than those cause by worrying too much about
all the things we don't have... there is no such thing as WONKY HEAD  :o

OK... all better...  he may be able to go and and get these things out but is almost worthless
as far as treating after effects of surgery ... he honestly does not understand how I feel... he is
nice and I like him but still want to give him a smack like on the V8 juice commercials

and if he felt like coming here and sharing was a bad thing
why does he have the info to get here in his pre-op stuff he gave me ???

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Makes me wanna go hmmmmmmmm?????
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 06:13:43 am »
Soundy -

very interesting perspective from a medical professional.  Obviously, I totally disagree with this opinion.

How insensitive!  I wonder if the ANA has some kind of "bad response award".  We could nominate him and have it presented at the 2009 symposium.

Good for you for restraining yourself and not telling him what you thought of his medical advice; I couldn't have been so nice.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:10:16 am »
I can't say what I'd like to say to this one!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:36:21 am »
Nancyann
I'll say it --WHAT AN INSENSITIVE MORON!

Surely as a medical professional he's heard these issues before.  I mean obviously none of my symptoms and issues were present before I joined this group. Duh.  Then why did I seek out this group?  Soundy, maybe we should all start a letter-writing campaign to him describing our "imaginary" ailments.
Still wobbling through life with a big eye, halfsmile,and salty-tin tasting mouth (in spite of what he thinks)
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:51:31 am »
David -

the letter writing campaign is a great idea.  I'm in; just tell me when we start.

I read this a few hours ago and I still can't believe it.  What a jerk!!!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:30:39 am »
ya know, when I saw Soundy's post this am... I had to take a step back and really try to be unbiased in viewpoint. I showed it to my bloke to get his thoughts on it.....Bloke says to me that sometimes when we go to the dr's, they may say something and "selective hearing" may interpret what is said as to be one thing... when the dr may have meant something different. Now, I sit back and say... ok, maybe this dr doesn't know how to actually treat what has been presented and instead of saying "I don't have definate answers to try to resolve your issues but we could try this or that and see how it goes", the dr may "cop an attitude" instead. 

Now, having time to get to know Soundy and know the kind of person Soundy is  :-*... and not one for complaining, I know this was a scenario that Soundy needed proper attention...... so, very unlike Soundy to complain......

I was recently prescribed meds by my dr to help headaches. Many here have recently posted their terrible times with this particular med. Now, I haven't started the med yet due to other issues... but, for me to go back to my dr and say "ya know what? I read many on the forums that have used this med and they are having a brutal time with it"... my dr may say the same as Soundy's dr.... and she may note to me that "individual results may vary, so stop listening to the folks on the boards and see how it does for YOUR particular situation".

I'm torn on this one.....

but, I say we keep the forums... dang it! :) 

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Catflower

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:15:07 am »
Doctor's don't seem to be too happy dealing with people who are knowledgeable about their illnesses or disabilities.  My experience has been that they really don't like to be questioned.  There are exceptions of course.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 10:20:19 am »
Well, apparently that one doctor who has probably never had his head radiated, cut open or dug around in knows more about the after effects than the 2936 of us here who have!  I guess it's just all "in our heads", huh?

I'd go with the V8 smack to the head for this guy.

I understand that doctors are probably bombarded these days by "I read it on the internet" from patients, but when all of the things that your are exeriencing are known to be caused by AN's and their treatment, I'd hardly think you were making it up as you go along.  If he doesn't feel that he can treat you properly or adequately, then he should be referring you to someone who can.

While you're at it - give him another smack in the head from me.  

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 10:36:30 am »
Some time ago when I mentioned my internet usage, my doctors only comment was that you can't believe all you read on the internet.                 I have been now involved with AN's since 2001 and I am slowly seeing my dr acting more believable of the after effects of all this even though he has been doing AN's for much longer.   
No ANA newsletter yet in Iowa also.   There have been times that I seem to have got mine earleir than others.      It will get here.
I just talked to a friend who is having AN symptoms.   She has her hearing test showing hearing loss that is not age related according to the ENT.     This is her 2nd ENT as the first said it couldn't be AN.   She was given 4 days worth of steriods for possible fluid in the ear.   She goes back in April and I told her demand the MRI with contrast.              She says she is not as scared as she might be with seeing how I have done. 
    Soundy's dr needs a big attitude adjustment!     That is horrible!     
                                                   Cheryl R     
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 12:05:25 pm »

I understand that doctors are probably bombarded these days by "I read it on the internet" from patients, but when all of the things that your are exeriencing are known to be caused by AN's and their treatment, I'd hardly think you were making it up as you go along.  If he doesn't feel that he can treat you properly or adequately, then he should be referring you to someone who can.

Lori

Very well said, Lori.  Much better than my "jerk" explanation - although I still stand by it  ;D

I'm waiting to see Jim Scott's thoughts on this.  He always says things that I wish I had said, and he says them so eloquently too  :)

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 12:10:42 pm »

I just talked to a friend who is having AN symptoms.   She has her hearing test showing hearing loss that is not age related according to the ENT.     This is her 2nd ENT as the first said it couldn't be AN.   She was given 4 days worth of steriods for possible fluid in the ear.   She goes back in April and I told her demand the MRI with contrast.

Cheryl R     

Cheryl -

please make sure you followup with your friend in April.  It seems like I've read so many stories on this forum recently from people who were misdiagnosed or who weren't diagnosed for years.  I think a lot of doctors, ENTs included, just aren't aware of ANs and what to look for.  In your friend's case, it might turn out to not be one, but then again, it just might.  Better to err on the side of caution, IMO.

Jan

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »
Jan

I'm with your "Jerk" and my "Moron" explanations.

A true wonky-head,
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

lori67

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 12:19:53 pm »
Oh don't get me wrong - I think "jerk" is perfectly appropriate in this case!  And many others....  hence the two head slaps!!   :o
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 12:46:19 pm »
Hi Soundy

Someone in my family had at one time suggested that maybe my AN symptoms were all in my head.
Well, I know they are and I have the MRIs to prove it.

It really hurts when someone I trust, such as a family member makes a comment like that. But it makes me angry to know that a Dr. could be so insensitive.

I'm sure Drs. do get tired of being challenged by patients who get info from anywhere and everywhere on the internet. But thanks to the internet, I have this AN discussion forum as a resource.

I'm so sorry that your Dr. could be so insensitive. Could it be time to seek help elsewhere since this Dr. doesn't have the answers and will not admit it?

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 01:23:58 pm »

I'm waiting to see Jim Scott's thoughts on this.  He always says things that I wish I had said, and he says them so eloquently too  :)

Jan

I second that one!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"