Author Topic: Facial twitching  (Read 3785 times)

Catflower

Facial twitching
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:17:58 am »
I'm almost 11 months post surgery and I still have twitching on the right side of my face.  It isn't there all the time.  Yesterday it was above my eye and below the corner of my mouth.  I could feel it above my eye, but my friend mentioned seeing my "chin" twitching.

Is this common and part of the healing of the facial nerve or should I schedule an appointment with the neuro-surgeon.  I'm so tired of going to the doctor.

LADavid

Re: Facial twitching
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:24:50 am »
Hey Catflower
I'm interested when you first had the twitching.  I've had some around my lower lip and occasionally the upper lip -- but there are days when I don't feel a thing.  It sort of comes and goes.  I keep thinking that something is on the right path to almost seem like it's a premature alarm.  From what I've heard the twitching is normal -- nerves waking up.  Maybe some of the veterns have more input.
The best
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Catflower

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:14:13 pm »
Hey Catflower
I'm interested when you first had the twitching.  I've had some around my lower lip and occasionally the upper lip -- but there are days when I don't feel a thing.  It sort of comes and goes.  I keep thinking that something is on the right path to almost seem like it's a premature alarm.  From what I've heard the twitching is normal -- nerves waking up.  Maybe some of the veterns have more input.
The best
David

I first started noticing the twitching about 7 months after my surgery.  I also have days when certain parts of the right side of my face hurt when I push on them; like over my right eyebrow, beside my nose, above my upper lip, etc.  I'm also interested in what the veterans on the board have to say.

Jill Marie

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:34:50 pm »
Veteran here---  Although I had a Facial Nerve Tumor which is a bit different from the AN I feel qualified to answer as I had my Tumor removed in 1992 and have permanent facial issues.  As most will tell you we're not doctors but I believe facial twitching is a good sign.  I first noticed movement 6 months after my surgery, twinges, tugs, etc., they continued off and on for at least a couple of years.  Don't recall exactly as it's been a very long time.   I'm deaf in my left ear but a few times a year hear a ringing or buzzing noise.  Just last year my lower eye lid & cheek twitched off & on for almost a week, I was hoping it meant my eye would finally start watering again.  It didn't, but on the other hand it didn't turn out to be a bad sign either and I'm thankful for that.  As they say, "Stuff Happens"  and we don't always know why!  Don't worry about the twitches, enjoy them!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

TP

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:53:29 pm »
My upper lip is twitching at the moment. I had my  AN removed June 2006 and the left side of my face has paralysis. I have twitching on my lip, eye and the most unusual is my chin. Dead center of my chin I can see movement on its own. Sometimes fun to watch while I putting my makeup on. I keep hoping some day I will have a normal smile again.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 01:34:49 pm »
Hi, I'm a little over a year post op, and my lip will twitch once in a while. Maybe once a week. My eyebrow also does a twitch now and then, but even less often. My doc told me it's normal.

Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Crystal

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 04:22:04 pm »
I am 14 months post op. At about 9 to 11 months I did have some wierd twitching on my smile line as well as under my eye. Almost a pulsing. Docs said it is normal and would go away -- it did.
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

Catflower

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 08:05:42 am »
Thanks for all of the input regarding the twitching.  I'll get out of panic mode now.  Everyone on this forum is so helpful. :)