Author Topic: Good News!  (Read 2226 times)

OMG16

Good News!
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:27:40 am »
I wanted to share with everyone that we got my son a Wii last Sunday as many of you and his driving eval Ot recommended.  You all will be so excited that my Son is getting some fine motor skills in his thumb and index finger.  I just knew he could do it if he was forced to without thinking about it.  His brain is rewiring itself as we speak.  I am so proud of him and his determination.  The sky is the limit for him.  That reminds me he was talking about trying to skydive lately and I don't think this would be a good idea.  There is only so much a Mother can take!  Not to mention he was named after my Husband who was named after his Fathers cousin who actually died while skydiving.  So that will only happen over my dead body.  I don't think I am being unreasonable.  What do all of you think?  I did let him go up in a small plane with his best friend who has just become a licensed pilot.  The smile on his face was worth all the worry.

I think I have come up with a way to train his brain for the areas that are not responding fast enough for driving.  I will let you all know how that goes when we get in to the driver simulation training.  Keep up all of your prayers they are being heard and answered!  :D 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Good News!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 05:07:15 am »
It sounds like your son is well on his way to a very normal life!  Hurray for you all!  As for skydiving.....................I did that for many years.  Until my daughters were old enough for someone to tell them that it is dangerous.  I love every minute of every jump I took.  I started at ten with a homemade parachute, my favorite cousins expert guidance and a very high barn and lots of hay.  I made my first jump when I was eighteen, my cousin there for support and I would recommend it to anyone.  I wish I dared do it now!  With proper instruction, anybody can sky dive.  Think about it!  He'll remember it forever.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:39:38 am »
16 -

that's wonderful news about your son!  Whoever gave you this great idea is to be commended.

As for the skydiving, I don't know.  I've always wanted to try it, but I'm not brave enough.  I have a brother (family daredevil) who does all that stuff, and I really admire him.  Plus what Brenda says is very tempting.  Guess I'm on the fence about this one  ???

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 10:45:47 am »
16 -

I see no reason to jump out of perfectly good plane, but that's just me.  I prefer to keep my feet on the ground - perhaps in sand or crystal clear warm water...

As for the Wii - that's great.  We just got one too and it really does force you to work on your coordination and balance.  I nearly hit my husband in the face with the controller the other day - he came up on my deaf side while I was "bowling"!  He should have known better!!  Anyway, I think it will do wonders for your son.  Maybe you can get him a skydiving video game instead of him trying the real thing.

At least now you know he's getting back to being a "normal" teenager - he's giving his poor Mom gray hair!!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 02:33:28 pm »
OMG16:

Thanks for sharing the good news about your son regaining his fine motor skills with the use of the Wiiâ„¢.  What a great use of technology and something designed for entertainment.  You have every right to be proud of him.

As for skydiving - of course most folks will see it as something unnecessary and inherently dangerous.  I've had that experience.  My best friend is a pilot and we often go for trips in a rented light aircraft (a Cessna 152), which I throughly enjoy.  Once I mentioned to him that I always wanted to skydive and he replied, rather dismissively, I thought, that he saw no good reason to jump out of an aircraft that was not in imminent danger of crashing.  I dropped the subject so as not to have an argument.  Early in our marriage I told my wife that I had always wanted to skydive .  She said she would divorce me if I did but not before having me take out a very hefty life insurance policy.  I knew she was joking but I also realized (from her tone of voice) that the idea of me skydiving actually frightened her, so I dropped it, as I had little time and less money to pursue the idea.  I haven't thought about it in years and will probably never skydive, which is a minor regret, at best.  However, your son may one day skydive with or without your knowledge or permission, so you should be prepared for that.  I wouldn't make an issue of it right now as he is still recovering.   Don't base your objections on his abilities, as that will just push him to prove he's able to do it.  Trust me, its a 'guy thing'.  Base your objections on your concern for him and the fact that the sport is inherently risky so you want him to wait awhile before seriously considering skydiving.  He may decide not to bother but he just may try it anyway, for a variety of reasons.  Don't allow his determination to prove to you that he can, be one of them. 

Jim
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 04:33:11 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 08:37:12 pm »
I always wanted to skydive - I even went so far as going out to the "school" one Saturday in college.  The plan was for my friend to try it one week and if he didn't splat, then I would do it the next.  It wasn't open or out of business or something so I guess was a sign!  Anyway, I never got around to it again (but still said I was going to) and then I had surgery.  The Dr. told me that the 2 absolutes that I could never do were sky or scuba dive b/c of the intense pressure changes and my ear??  Has anyone else heard this?  They also told me to be super careful swimming (I guess you can get very easily confused & go down when you think you are going up for air - but I have had NO trouble w/ this) and riding a bike.  My family has always held me to the bike thing, but I think if I were very careful about where I was it would be OK - 4CM has inspired me!!

Glad again that the Wii worked out -- I knew it would be good!!!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

chelsmom

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 11:43:13 pm »
Hi 16,

Well great news about the wii and the mindless PT/OT it provides.  My daughter Chelsea was also told not to sky dive or scuba dive.  She has a shunt and I'm not sure if this is the only reason why she is suppose to stay clear of these activities but it is one reason.  Her doctors were even concerned about her going up to the local mountains ( 7000 ft. elevation) for the first year.  They also told her not to go on any wild roller coaster rides.  I know she tries to be careful but just yesterday she went on the "Tower of Terror" at Disneyland and so far no problems.  I keep telling her that it is not smart to test the waters since she has had 4 shunt surgeries and if she causes the current one to have problems by ignoring their advise then it's back to the hospital and not only another surgery but worse - shaving her hair.  That seems to get her attention.

I would ask the neurosurgeon what he/she thinks.   Good luck strapping him down now. 

Take care,
Michelle

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:25:48 am »
Well, I may never skydive, but I sure as spit am gonna go scuba diving again in the foreseable future! I just luuuurrrves 'em lil fishies!! Talk about being in the moment!!!!

OMG kisses to the kid on the progress.  All the little steps add up, ya know.  Hang in there, Ma.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW