Author Topic: extra sounds when I hear someone talk?  (Read 2281 times)

eugd

extra sounds when I hear someone talk?
« on: March 16, 2008, 04:57:09 pm »
Silly question but, does anyone else have a "ting" sound after someone speaks a word.  eg. hello"ting" how "ting" are "ting"  you "ting".. it is separate from the usual tinnitus ringing.  once and a while it happens when I am in a quiet room.  anyone Else have this happening?  also, anyone have there tinnitus go reduce over the years?

thanks for the input....Eugene
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

Boppie

Re: extra sounds when I hear someone talk?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 06:02:58 pm »
Since translab I have a sound induced 'hisssss' or 'ting' as you say, after every sound, utterance, or after my own breathing and teeth clicks (smaller sounds).  I attribute it to the sound vibrating against my deaf ear drum and sending some sort of resonance to the brain stem.  This is my tinnitus.  It has not changes one bit since surgery.  In the background I have the standard hmmmmmmm tinnitus going on concurrently.  I am accustomed to it and no longer pay attention to it.  On occasion I have to take a break and get into a quiet place to escape from the noise in my head. 

I don't notice tinnitus as much when I am wearing my TransEar.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:04:52 pm by Boppie »

kippy6

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:57:21 am »
I heard these "extra" sounds after every sound as well. The extra sounds I would hear were beeps, like electronic beeps. I would notice it the most at night as I was trying to fall asleep. I thought it was very strange. However, this happened before my surgery. It was very annoying. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I'd call your doctor to see what can be done.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

OTO

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 08:52:31 pm »
There was a story about a similar condition on one of the news shows this past week, either 20/20 or 60 minutes.   A symphony french horn player in England, had a condition were there is a small hole in the one of the bone structures in the inner ear.    Because of the hole, the fluid within the structure leaks out, and the sound vibrations are transmitted into the brain.   He had head noise such as hearing his own breathing, the comb running thru his hair, his own footsteps. etc.   The head noise was so bad that he had to give up his playing for the symphony.  He had at least two or three operations based on mis-diagnosis.  Finally he found the right diagnosis at John Hopkins and had the proper surgery.   He had this for 20 years.....

eugd

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 08:54:56 pm »
thanks for the info.............
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:08:23 am »
My tinnitus was terrible while still in the hospital. It slowly improved, and now over a year post op, I only get the "ocean" at a low volume. However, if I am in a noisy place, it is extremely bad for hours later. Best wishes,
Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!