Author Topic: Phyl's Column in ANA Newsletter  (Read 22842 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Phyl's Column in ANA Newsletter
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2008, 01:46:57 pm »
When I emailed the Oprah Show, I asked about having Mark Ruffalo on as a special guest, so that people can see that no one is immune, plus maybe he could get a special invitation to the Symposium?  Phyl??

Brenda

Geesh! My newsletter article brought all this on? my oh my! ;)

ok, did some checking... it seems that many celebs that have endured AN journeys are not interested in doing public works about their journeys.  M. Ruffalo and many other celebs (there actually exists a "celeb" AN file) have been approached to participate and contribute for other AN patients and due to their own private, particular reasons (primarly, since they are in the public eye and since many are "disabled" in one form or another by their AN's journeys), they prefer to remain low key when it comes to their AN life or, as many here do... just move along in life ......

It was shared with me (by the powers that be) that  any attempt to having him participate as a potential speaker or guest, etc, to discuss his AN journey  needs to be done directly through his agent. M. Ruffalo, directly, has had communications with the powers that be of the ANA.... but, he now prefers to keep the public's focus on his accomplishments in the entertainment community and less focus on his AN journey.

that is the long and short of it as of today......
Phyl

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:17:30 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LADavid

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2008, 03:34:37 pm »
Phyl

Thanks for the information on Mark.  I was trying to track him down.  I've worked with him before briefly on Zodiac and I thought he might be open to talking about it and giving others encouragement.  I wonder why he's so resistant.  If I run into him again, I'll ask -- carefully.

Other celebs seem to be supportive in hearing issues.  William Shatner is very involved in Tinnitus work.

I guess it's a personal thing.  Maybe I'll have to become famous and I can talk about it.  When ever I get back to work :-\

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2008, 03:43:04 pm »
Phyl,
I knew that if anyone could find out what the deal was with Mr Ruffalo, it would be you.  You are faster than Wonder Woman!!!!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2008, 07:02:30 pm »
Thanks for checking, Phyl.

I don't want to be negative here, but I'm personally disappointed in Mr. Ruffalo's reluctance to be seen as an "AN spokemodel" so to speak.  It's obviously his right to choose not to do this and I'm sure he has his reasons, but I'm disappointed nonetheless  :( 

IMO, it would be a great opportunity to bring ANs to the attention of the general public and I personally think it would only add something positive to his image - not that his imagine is currently negative.  I guess I just can't imagine this being a negative for him; but then again, I'm not in the entertainment business.

I was going to say that we should lobby his agent, but we'd probably have an easier time convincing Oprah to do a show about ANs.  She's probably more the type of personality to do something like this.

And, David, I'm all for you becoming famous and choosing to represent us,

Jan 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2008, 07:13:31 pm »
Jan

Me too.  And if I become famous I promise to make ANdom my cause.  It may take a while though -- because it seems that once I am through recovery well enough to go back to work, we're facing another strike.  Ugh.  So maybe that fame will have to come through commercials instead.  More money in that anyway.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2008, 07:27:07 pm »
Just read backwards and realized that I missed a few posts before Phyl's.

K -

slumber party at my house would be great but I'd never have room for all of you guys!  Besides, my house is always messy and I'm truly looking forward to spending a few days at The Drake without my kids.  Nothing personal - I love my kids - but sometimes a mom just has to get away ;)

Cheryl R -

thanks for the example of the symposium agenda; good to know how things work since this will be my first time.  I love your suggestion of staying an extra day or two, gives us more time to watch baseball, see Oprah, drink, wear our knit hats or bandannas, etc.

Soundy -

I say, if your husband is willing to make the trip take advantage of it!  Hopefully the registration information will be out soon and once you register and book your room it will be harder for him to say it's too far to go  ;)   It's probably not a short trip to Chicago, but once you are here you can pretty much keep the car in park.  The Drake is located very close to just about everything and if you care to venture farther, there is always public transportation.  I'll probably go the public transportation route myself, since I hated city driving even before my AN and Chicago to me is somewhat like a foreign country.  I grew up in the suburbs and haven't spent as much time in Chicago as most would imagine.  I didn't even take the "L" until 3 years ago when I had to attend divorce court in the Daley Plaza.  Even then, I sometimes got lost just going around the block - navigating it with a wonkyhead is sure to be an exciting adventure LOL

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2008, 07:37:15 pm »
Jan

Me too.  And if I become famous I promise to make ANdom my cause. 

David -

speaking of making ANdom your cause, I had an opportunity to talk to Judy Vitucci, the Executive Director of the ANA today.  In the course of our conversation, I told her how you have been writing about your AN journey in one of the posts here and that I had encouraged you to look into having it included in a future issue of "Notes".  I told her that you seemed pretty open to this and she seems to be very interested.  She may be contacting you about this. 

I know it's not a paying job, but it is for a good cause  :)

And, when you do become famous, don't forget all us "little people".

Jan

LADavid

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2008, 08:56:30 pm »
Hey Jan
Thanks.  I do hope she contacts me.  I know it's non-paying in the monetary sense, but there are other things that are far more rewarding.  And by the way, we are all little people with brave hearts.
I Samuel 17
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

lori67

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2008, 11:54:24 am »
I say we get David to be the guest speaker at the symposium.  To heck with those "other" celebrities that don't want to help the cause.  Besides, we all know David - so that makes him famous to us, right? 

And David, when you are really, really, really famous - Jan and I can be your agents.  Doesn't that sound like a great idea?  Okay, maybe it's a great idea if you don't want to work again....

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2008, 01:54:01 pm »
Lori

Quite amuzing.  Although I have had a past of public speaking in my corporate days.  Always with a big audio/visual thing.  That was long ago.

As far as being famous -- LOL -- there are about 30,000 other "famous" people like me in Hollywood.  The closest I came to fame was when some elderly lady came up to me in a store and said "Say aren't you the carpet guy?"  I was a carpet salesman in a Home Base commercial for a couple of years.  And I did sign an autograph once -- the Caveman ad I did on the back of TV Guide.  That's about the extent of my fame.

And as far as being really famous -- I hate to disillusion you, but I'm putting in two more years to qualify for my pension and then I'm getting out of here.

Thanks again for the synkinesis advice.  I gotta deal with that before I even think about acting again.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2008, 03:25:08 pm »
You know, one of the things I like about Lori - in addition to all the great BAHA information and tips she shares with us - is the fact that she's very interested in helping me make money LOL 

And, David, public speaking!  All I can say is, you are truly a brave man!

Jan 

LADavid

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2008, 04:13:25 pm »
Jan
LOL.  To be honest with you, giving speeches at conventions is far easier than auditions and speaking on-camera.  I've had a teleprompter for most of the big meetings.  When you're acting, you're speaking, emoting, moving and hitting marks while making it look natural with a camera lens right in front of your face -- and a director, crew and other actors hanging out behind the camera.  I think I'm talking myself out of going back.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2008, 04:41:10 pm »
Jan... my husband would not come with me to Chicago if I made it ... if he isn't on home soil by midnight
he will turn into a pumpkin...  :)

he lived in one house til he was two and a new house was built and the old torn down and lived in the
new house til we married and moved to the house we built about 1000 feet from his parents home ...
he has spent six nights away from home in his whole life... one night each
when our daughters were born...and he was hospitalized at 5 years old with strept...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2008, 08:59:42 pm »
Jan... my husband would not come with me to Chicago if I made it ... if he isn't on home soil by midnight
he will turn into a pumpkin...  :)

Then by all means, come without him  ;D

lori67

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2008, 09:12:19 pm »
Jan, I'm just hoping you'll share it with me!!   :D

Besides, I'm terrible at math - I figure I'll need a business partner who can add.

Soundy, I have a brother-in-law who sounds like your husband.  I think he's grown roots where they live - which is a block away from where he grew up.  I guess some people just like the comforts of home.  I do to, but I have no problem with enjoying the comforts of a hotel - where there is someone else to make the bed and pick the dirty towels up off the bathroom floor for a change!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.