Author Topic: I'm a SUPERSTAR...sure don't feel like one!  (Read 2359 times)

Shawna

I'm a SUPERSTAR...sure don't feel like one!
« on: November 15, 2005, 07:12:52 pm »
Hi everyone,

Remember me... toddler mom from Reno, small tumor, going to Stanford??   Well, I'm here to say, "I made it!"  Five days post op and I'm feeling, OK.   Can't say that I enjoyed the whole experience but I think my outcome is pretty fantastic.  My doc believes they removed the entire tumor, I have minor facial weakness, it's the dizziness and nauseousness giving me the most trouble.  Of course that's what they say for those of us with smaller tumors.  Pain isn't so bad, dizziness IS.   My first day out of ICU sucked, that's when they withdrew my IV anti-nausea medication--cruel people, but all in all the head resident that checked in on me daily said I was doing better than expected and that I was a superstar...  so let me put my catholic girls' school uniform on and say it loud and proud "SUPERSTAR!!"

The drive home to Reno was almost as much fun as surgery... 5hours and 45 min of bay area/sacramento traffic...  We really thought brain surgery should qualify me for the carpool lane. 

I don't have enough dizzi-free time to check in on Josh in Vegas and others who are in my boat -hope everyone is well, and I'll check back in with you all when my head's not ready to fall off.  Good luck to those heading towards surgery - it's great being on the other side:) 

I get to see my son in a few minutes - hope he doesn't whap me in the head with something!

Love to all - Shawna
1.0 cm AN - left
Surg: 11/10/2005
Dr. Blevins @ Stanford Univ.

David707

Re: I'm a SUPERSTAR...sure don't feel like one!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 08:03:30 pm »
Shawna,

What a wonderful news !  So glad for you. 

Of course, we remember you.  While we cheered for one after another success (i.e., Jack, Linda, Josh ... ), we have been thinking about you as well.  Thanks for sharing the good news with us.  Wish you a speedy recovery.

David(707)
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

nannettesea

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 08:19:45 pm »
Great news, hang tough, remember how brave you are to have gone through brain surgery!
Best to you,
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 09:04:26 pm »
Shawna,
I praise the Lord for your sucessful outcome and pray for a speedy recovery.
Keep us posted,
Lynn

matti

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 10:32:18 pm »
Hi Shawna/superstar - Glad to hear that all went well and now the hardest part is behind you. Take care not to overdo it, rest alot and let everyone pamper you, because you deserve it!!!!!

I also had surgery at Stanford and while I did not have the long drive home you did, it is something I will NEVER forget (and I'm sure my husband won't either).

Thanks for the great news and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50