Author Topic: I need some advice about interviews....  (Read 4019 times)

cinnamon

I need some advice about interviews....
« on: April 03, 2008, 06:37:58 pm »
Okay everyone,

I am going on my first job interview next week since being a postie and could really use some help. I can't believe I am in this situation but I am. I haven't had a raise in three years and well it is time to move on. I am really nervous about the damage that has been done to me after the surgery meaning hearing loss and the facial paralysis. I have been seeing a facial therapist for a year now and although we have great improvement my smile is still crooked. Anyways, I could use some advice. Maybe a confidence booster. I am going to try to give it my best smile, but do I inform the interviewer that I my hearing is compromised in my left ear or do I even mention that I have facial paralysis knowing I will be working in front of patients? Sure, I have been functioning fine at my other job but they don't know that. I feel like I am really getting nervous and I know it is none of their business but for instance when I always answer the phone with my right ear and can't tell which direction someone is talking they probably will realize there is something wrong. Please, I could use some advice. My current job is really not an option at this point. I must move on and so far I know I have a great chance getting this job but I am worried once they see me in person they may change their mind. Any advice would be really helpful on what to reveal and not reveal. Thanks everyone in advance for your thoughts. I am really feeling insecure right now.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

Kate B

• AN World
Re: I need some advice about interviews....
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:16:27 pm »
Lisa,

Job interviews are hard to call.  I personally believe honesty is the best policy at the appropriate time.
In other words, determine if it will be a factor in performing your job.  If not, I would leave it alone--especially on the first interview-- unless there is a comfortable opportunity to work it into the conversation.

Quite honestly, the less details, the better.  As long as it doesn't interefere with your ability to do the job, you have the right to privacy.That is my two cents about sharing your medical info.

Just let your capability shine through.  Ultimately your references will also assist you.  Put your best foot forward and go for it!  Good luck. I look forward to hearing how your interview goes. 

It will be interesting to read others posts and their advice.

Kate
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 08:30:15 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:21:34 pm »
Wow...good luck...job interviews are tough.  I was always VERY upfront and honest, but reassured the interviewer that these things did not interfere with my work.

I will be thinking of you!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jan D

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:18:42 pm »
My facial paralysis and SSD never seemed to have any bearing on interviews or promotions, because I didn't let it.

I was always very upfront about my facial paralysis, giving a very SHORT explanation and emphasized that this would have no bearing on my job performance.   It was a bit awkward, but I sensed relief from the interviewers.  They cannot ask, so I think they were relieved that I was the one to say something first.

Apparently it worked because I had numerous promotions in my 33+ plus years of working, all post AN surgery.

The first interview will be the hardest, but it will get easier.

Best wishes,
Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:46 pm »
Lisa:

Job interviews are always tricky.  We don't want to be dishonest but we don't wish to 'talk ourself out of the job' by unnecessarily bringing up our SSD or facial paralysis.  I concur with the previous posts; that you emphasize your abilities, not your disabilities.  If you're asked a direct question regarding your unilateral hearing loss, answer it affirmatively but with the caveat that it isn't really an obstacle to your job performance.  The same for discussing your facial paralysis.  If pressed, you can honestly explain that your facial paralysis is being treated, is improving and that you expect that to continue.  Being evasive about either issue will seem as if you have something to hide and that will hurt your chances.  Of course, some aspects of a job interview are going to be subjective, despite the interviewers efforts to remain impartial.  You cannot control that aspect except to minimize it's impact with your personality and qualifications. 

I wish you well as you seek another position.  Think positive!  :)

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cinnamon

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 07:00:41 am »
Wow, very encouraging words. I just can't wait to get it over with. I really want this job. I did a phone interview on Wednesday and she was very impressed with me. I know I have a really good chance. I will let everyone know what happens but gosh I am so nervous. I am really thinking there is no need to mention the hearing loss because as long as I am not in crowded places I am not affected too much.  I certainly want them to be honest with me about the postion and I feel I must return that same honesty.

I like the idea of mentioning at the right moment about the paralysis and that I am being treated for it, this way they know I am working on improving my appearance.  So many people judge on looks and it is just so unfair. I have always worked in the front office at the dental office and I am the first person they see upon entering the office. No one has ever looked at me wrong or said anything but it is just a feeling of insecurity. Thanks again for the responses. I will dress my best and be confident in what I say but what my face does I cannot control. I have always been so animated- it has really changed since the almost 2 years for being post an. I have really come along way. It would have been nice if another year had passed though---wishful thinking right. The time is now. I will keep you posted.

Lisa
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 07:17:10 am »
Is your facial paralysis THAT noticable to people that don't know you? When I look in the mirror I see a very lopsided face however when I tell people I have fp they say they don't notice it. I recently went to a new doc who said I only can see a problem with your eye. 

I have been at my teaching job since September. I've told no one about my facial paralysis or my ssd. I was planning on it but I never seemed to find the right opportunity. It hasn't been a problem.

After almost 4 years I have had to relearn to be confident in my abilities. Good luck.........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:00:51 am »
Hi Lisa,

Recently, there were 2 really great discussions that happened here about disclosure of our issues, whether it be with family, co-workers or employers.... may be worth a peek at these 2 threads as well as the great advice given here! :)

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5257.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5637.0

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 08:39:15 am »
Hi Lisa,

You have received some great advice here, and it sounds like you are getting some confidence back. If they ask, tell them you have a medical condition that is being treated; no one wants "too much information", so keep it simple. I think you will find that it is much more noticeable to you than to anyone else. You are obviously serious about getting this job, and well qualified for it, so focus on that, and let your abilities and personality shine through. They are much more likely to base their decision on the important things.

Best of luck, I think you will do great!

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 11:33:23 am »
Lisa -

I was going to add my two cents worth, but after reading what the others wrote, you've already gotten some very good advice.  Good luck with the interview, you certainly sound enthusiastic about the job.  I hope you get it!

Let us know how it all turns out.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 06:30:03 pm »
Lisa,

How did the job interview go?

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

cinnamon

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 05:06:17 pm »
Well, I GOT THE JOB! THEY ARE SO HAPPY ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE AND MY PERSONALITY! This was the most difficult interview I ever had. I had to sit right across from the guy and talk about what I could bring to the company and so forth. I want you to know that you guys are the greatest because without you I could not have done it. I still have a few hurdles to get through. I didn't tell them I am deaf in my ear or even about my paralysis. I just could'nt talk about it. I am so glad it is over. My husband even told me I could do it and I did! All of you are my best support because you understand like no other. THANKS A MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!

I start work on Tuesday April 28th.

Thank you everyone ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 05:38:43 pm »
Lisa,

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm feeling a round of grog for everyone in celebration! :)

Good luck with the new job!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 05:49:13 pm »
Way to go Lisa!!!!!  I am so happy for you -- glad it worked out!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 06:27:21 pm »
I start work on Tuesday April 28th.

Lisa -

Congratulations!  This is fantastic!  I think this "event" should be listed on the AN calendar!!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways