Author Topic: Has anyone retained their hearing after Cyberknife or Gamma Knife treatment?  (Read 7144 times)

Kate B

• AN World
My question is to find out how many on this site actually retained usable or serviceable hearing after radiation treatment according to Gardner-Robertson? (see definitions below).  If not, when did you lose your hearing?

Hearing preservation has three defined states:
maintenance of hearing within the same hearing class,
preservation of hearing at a "useful" or "serviceable" level (Gardner-Robertson score of 1 or 2), and
maintenance of some measureable hearing function.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:07:29 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Hi Kate,

For me, based on base-line hearing tests done at time of initial AN diagnosis.... to 22 mos post-CK, I have retained 100% of my hearing for what it was at time of CK.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jb

• My MRI sequence:
I've lost 15-20 dB in high-frequency hearing at 7 months post-CK, but my mid and low frequencies are the same.  I don't remember the G-R scale off-hand, but I can hear to talk on the phone, which I find "useful."  I'm hopeful that my hearing will remain stable or improve as residual swelling diminishes.

2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

Dana

• Hi!
At 7 months after GK, they redid hearing tests and they were exactly same as the month before GK = no loss.
BTW, the follow-up MRI at 6 months (I'd postponed it) were very slightly swelling (hopefully temporary) of the AN and some greying in center indicating, hopefully, necrosis.
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

sgerrard

BTW, the follow-up MRI at 6 months (I'd postponed it) were very slightly swelling (hopefully temporary) of the AN and some greying in center indicating, hopefully, necrosis.
Dana

Dana, is that a new MRI result? It sounds good to me, the swelling is typical and I'm sure will turn out to be temporary, and the darkening of the tumor is a good sign that its days are numbered. Congratulations!

Six months post-CK, my hearing is essentially unchanged, with maybe a 5 DB drop in the low frequencies, but that could be the testing - it was not the same audiologist.

I would like to add that with radiation treatment, the death of the tumor is a slow process. Additional hearing loss in the months following treatment is often just the  AN itself, doing its final dirty deeds before dying, and would have happened anyway if there had been no treatment. This sort of thing also applies to some cases with surgery, where it is not the surgery itself, but the AN, that causes a facial nerve issue or the like. When in doubt, blame the AN, not the treatment.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Sadly, for me, my hearing went down the drain really fast and I am "severely" deaf on the left. However, that was before GK, and since GK, I don't think it's changed much.  Of course, it's not going to make much difference if it gets worse.  ;) I really was hoping it would get better, but I guess that's deemed medically impossible after the nerve has been damaged this much.  Bummer!!  :(   Ah, well, that makes us appreciate the fact that nature was kind to give us two ears!  I cheer anyone on that is lucky enough to retain their hearing after an AN has moved in. 

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Betsy

Hi Kate,

So far (almost 8 months post-radiation), my hearing is exactly the same as it was when I was diagnosed.  I need to appreciate that fact more.  With my balance challenges, I tend to forget about what isn't bothering me!

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

lrm84

Hi Katie,

My husband had 40% hearing loss in his right ear when he had Gamma Knife 18 months ago. I am happy to report that his tumor is slowing shrinking and his hearing  has remained the same.He does have tinnitus in that ear which he had before gamma knife.  Dr Lunsford at the University of Pittsburgh did his procedure. I cannot say enough good things about Dr Lunsford and his worderful staff.
We are now looking into a new treatment for the tinnitus.. www.neuromonics.com

Good Luck,
Lisa

Mickey

Hi Lisa! Im presently on watch and wait. If it wasn`t for the tinnitus I wouldn`nt know their was anything wrong. Anyhow, I am presently on Neuromonics for a little over 2 months now. Just went into stage 2 which will take 4 more months. So far so good but I`m not really going to say much untill it is completed. I belong to ananj and probably will be schedueled to say something on it in Oct. this year. I just want to be sure before I can give it my blessings. Mickey

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
How expensive is this Neuromonics?  I looked at the link.  Interesting.  It would be wonderful if this worked like it says it does.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
I have retained my hearing at almost the same state as before my diagnosis...   

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
Just had my second hearing test- Although I was up 5dc's on both the left and right ear, a 5 dc change is within the margin of error- so basically, I have no change.

It is important that you get the same group or tester doing your hearing test.  I have a set of hearing tests from Sacramento ENT which uses different equipment than Stanford ENT..

Hope this helps, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Dana

• Hi!
late answer to your question, Steve... yes, that's my recent MRI, done in early March, first one after GK in July.  Ya-hooo, yeahhhh!!  Fingers crossed!

Thanks for asking...
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

michael

I have not had follow up hearing test but I believe that my hearing is basically the same as pre GK. I continue to have the tinnitus but that was the same before also. Still talking on the phone etc with my affected ear. Only time I have problems is if someone is whispering to me, I have to turn my "good ear" towards them.
Best wishes!!
Michael
11 MM AN - Gamma Knife 4/2004 - Wake Forest/Baptist Hospital - North Carolina, Dr. Ed Shaw

Elizabeth Roberts

I'm four years out from having a 1 cm. AN treated with LINAC (linear accelerator) at UF-Gainesvillle. I've retained all of my hearing and my 4th yearly MRI a month ago shows the tumor has stopped growing.

Good luck to you,
Elizabeth
1 cm. right-sided AN
Onset symptom - constant dizziness
Treatment: 2004, UF-Gainesville, LINAC, no side effects
2009 MRI shows tumor is shrinking