Author Topic: Has anyone retained their hearing after Cyberknife or Gamma Knife treatment?  (Read 7145 times)

Tumbleweed

I would like to add that with radiation treatment, the death of the tumor is a slow process. Additional hearing loss in the months following treatment is often just the  AN itself, doing its final dirty deeds before dying, and would have happened anyway if there had been no treatment.
Steve

That's a really good point, Steve, and one which I hadn't considered.

It's heartening to hear so many success stories from people who have not had their hearing diminish since RS.

I agree with Annie that it is extremely important that the same audiologist and equipment perform your followup audiograms, if you want reliable results from which to draw conclusions about your state of hearing compared to that in the past. Level of expertise, techniques employed and the quality of the equipment used can all cause substantial variations in results.

Best wishes to all,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

janz

I have been reading this thread for a couple days and very interested too in what people have chosen to do after CK or GK.
It will be 2 years in August when I had GK. I had 65% speech discrimination and at my last appt, it was down to 20%. Although I have lost hearing I am happy to report that no growth has shown on the followup MRIs. My ENT suggested BiCross or BAHA. He said it will be up to me when the hearing (or lack of ) becomes bothersome. It certain situations I do miss hearing and try to position myself so my good ear is available. At times I think it bothers my family more than it bothers me. I have thought about this fall after my next folllow up appt to investigate the hearing devices.

Janet
2 cm AN diagnosed April 2006
Gamma Knife August 2006
Dr. Lunsford, University of Pittsburgh

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
It is encouraging to see that their has been retention of hearing for both GK and CK.  Knowing this is helping me be more comfortable in weighing my options.  I hope more people post here with postive outcomes--CK and GK.  Thanks.  nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs