Author Topic: Blood tests prior to post treatment MRI ?  (Read 8214 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Blood tests prior to post treatment MRI ?
« on: April 10, 2008, 05:46:30 pm »
I have scheduled my first annual MRI for Monday - about 6 weeks early, but I'm anxious to get it over with.

When I called the hospital they told me that due to the gadolinium that they would be using for the contrast, I have to have blood work prior to the MRI and that I'd need a doctor's order for this.  Well, I have the Rx the doctor gave me for the MRI, but no blood order.  I talked to one of his staff members, who told me that the hospital is now "sometimes" requesting blood work prior to MRIs and that "sometimes" it's based on the age of the patient  ???

When I had my first MRI, the one that found my AN, I had gadolinium but needed no blood tests.  This is at a different hospital, so maybe it's just their policy, but I'm not sure.  Apparently the blood tests I need are a BUN and a cre-at-tin (phonetic spelling since I have no clue how to spell it - nor do I even know what it is for). 

I'm a little ticked off by this because I decided to have the MRI at the hospital where I had my surgery, which isn't the closest hospital to my house; and in addition, I scheduled the MRI for 2 p.m. but now I have to be there at 11:15 to pre-register and have my blood drawn by noon so they have the results in time for the MRI.  So what I was hoping would be an afternoon off of work, is now turning into a whole day off of work  ::)

Did anyone else have to have blood work prior to their post treatment MRI? Or is it just me because I'm so lucky and apparently "old"  ???

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Blood tests prior to post treatment MRI ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 05:51:32 pm »
I had blood work pre surgery ... and count less MRI's now... I dont remember any "extra" blood work ... but I've been "poked" so many times now  ;D

and hey .. thats another "test" they can bill you for !  >:(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 06:05:32 pm »
Jan~
I have had a LOT of tests and MRI's, but no blood work before a MRI...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:30:01 pm »
Hey Jan,

Actually, I did.... this past January, had my head MRI... MRI center explained that now they even check due to constrast being used.... I believe Bun/Creatine test... typically, they do them for CT Scans, but my MRI center did for me (same labs) for the reason of use of contrast.

Not sure in your case, but that is what was explained to me.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

OTO

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:50:02 pm »
leapytwins...

there was a thread on this some where on the forum.  In the early 2000's the FDA put out a warning about gadolimum (contrasting agent used in MRIs).   Apparently, gadolium can cause a kidney or liver problem.   So for certain patients they are recommending blood work up or an inquiry about kidney function or liver function?    You might want to go to WebMD.com and search on gadolium...  I'm thinking the since AN patients have a lot more MRI's than the general public, the Imaging center might be conservative and require a doctor's order....   

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 08:03:33 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.

K, maybe you just weren't "old enough" to have to have the test.

Phyl, glad to hear I'm not the only one who has to have them.

And yes, Joef it is another procedure I can be billed for  :o  I don't mind the needle stick - I've had lots in my lifetime and I'm sure to have lots more!

You know OTO, now that you mention it, I do recall something about gadolinium possibly causing kidney or liver problems.  I'll have to do a search and find that other thread.

Jan 

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 08:53:26 pm »
I had the blood work done for the first time with a MRI with my last one in Jan.    I don't  really think it is age but just they are seeing some potential problems with the kidney function due to the contrast so screening more pre MRI.                  Yes, it can make more of a hassle.            I have seen it such that a person with too high of levels was not allowed to have contrast with a CT scan so it could happen with a MRI also.
                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 10:00:07 pm »
I have seen it such that a person with too high of levels was not allowed to have contrast with a CT scan so it could happen with a MRI also.

Well, I hope that I'm not one of those people.  I would not be a happy camper if they told me they couldn't do my MRI  :(

Guess I'll just have to see what Monday brings.

Jan

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 05:05:03 am »
Jan,
 I read something in my health news thing that the health insurance company sends monthly that they are requiring the blood work because of the contrast.  I know I'm having another one in two weeks and have to have the blood work done, then I am getting the results from my PET.  I had that the other day, but chose to wait for the results so I only have to go to the doctor once for all the results.
I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for great results on your MRI.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Tamara

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 05:35:41 am »
BUN (blood urea nitrogen), and creatinine are both tests for liver function.  They're just covering their butts - I wouldn't be concerned.

Tamara, M.T. (medical technologist)
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 07:14:14 am »
Tamara -

thanks for the medical info on the tests - now I'm not as clueless  ;D

Brendalu -

thanks for the info from the health news thing.  I'm going to mention to my doctor that he should write a Rx for the blood work at the same time he writes the Rx for the MRI so patients don't have to contact his office for a request. 

thanks, also, for the well wishes.  I'm pretty confident that my results will be good, I just want to get the MRI over with since I have lots to do in the coming months - vacation, sell my house, etc.

Jan

Catflower

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 02:06:59 pm »
I also had to have blood work prior to my final MRI before my AN surgery.  It is due to the contrast causing possible kidney and or liver damage.  Lawyers are advertising like mad in my area (West Virginia) to contact them if you have ever had a contrast study done.  I think they're the ones seeking the $$$$$$$$ now the providers and insurance companies have to protect themselves as well as protect our health.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 02:21:21 pm »
Hi Jan-

As all others have said - it's a liver/kidney function thing. And, in some place (like NJ) if you are over 50 it is required for images with contrast.  And, yes, that means what you think it does about my age...  ;)

Debbi (and now we know why I color...)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 03:13:06 pm »
Well if it's an age thing, I'll have to correct the doctor's records - as I'm only 46.

If it's a lawyer thing - that figures  ;D  Although I do know some good, honest lawyers - really  ;D

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 10:45:28 pm »
I'll add my $0.02 worth...  When I had my MRI last week (the one that revealed the AN), the MRI tech explained to me about the gadolinium being "all over the news" because some patients with existing liver problems not being able to filter all of it out of their system.  They had looked at recent blood work of mine before deciding on the dosage.  In fact, they lowered the "regular" dosage of it for me because one of my "numbers" was slightly elevated.  It still made me nauseous for a couple of mins after that part of the MRI started.  I almost squeezed the little bubble thing they give you to be able to "alert them if you need them".  About the time I was gonna squeeze it because I thought I was gonna lose it, it started to subside.

I asked the MRI tech about the nausea and they told me that some people with inner ear "problems" (she had to have seen it on the screen but wouldn't say anything to me about it!) sometimes experience that reaction to the stuff.

Anyhow, this is a long way of saying that everyone else is exactly right about the checking of liver functions so they can adequately size the dosage as to not cause any damage to the liver.

Best wishes on the annual MRI!  :D

Pooter...
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager