Author Topic: Surgery, BAHA, and calendar  (Read 4690 times)

Tamara

Surgery, BAHA, and calendar
« on: April 11, 2008, 04:44:13 pm »
I am scheduled for translab on June 12.  I have asked to have the BAHA "installed" at the same time, and, unless my insurance company feels differently, it's a go.

I read a request in response to someone's else's surgery that they post it on the "calendar" that's supposed to be part of a post.  I was unable to locate it.  If someone gives me detailed info on how to post to the calendar, I'd like to do so.  I'd be most appreciative of any prayers (if you're the praying sort) or well-wish vibes (if you're not).

With both procedures going on, I think I'll have to have quite a bit packed in my hospital bag.  Do you think I'll get a BAHA hat or will my head just be wrapped from the translab? 

Any advice from anyone who had both done at the same time??

Thanks!
Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery, BAHA, and calendar
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:33:54 pm »
Tamara -

the link to the calendar post is http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3185.0  Once you go to the post, see page 4.

It's fairly easy to add a calendar entry.  I figured it out all by myself once I accessed the calendar, and I am in no way computer literate  :D

I had my BAHA surgery nine months after my retrosigmoid surgery, but I would imagine if you do the BAHA and the translab together you'll get the big, white, mastoid bandage that wraps around your head.

I haven't always been the praying type, but when I had my AN surgery lots of people prayed for me and I truly believe it helped.  I will definitely pray for you.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:52:24 pm »
Here's a well-wish vibe for you, then.  ;)

I can't keep track of that calendar link either, so I have put it in my signature below; that way it will follow me around like a lost puppy.

Once you get to the calendar, just click on the day of interest, you should be able to work it out from there.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 07:36:32 am »
HI Tamara-

Glad you have a date - I know what a relief that was for me!

I'm having translab on 4/30 - if you want to talk to me before you have your surgery, I'll be happy to share any/all experiences with you.  Just PM me anytime (well, not on the 30th of course - LOL!)

Meanwhile, I'll send prayers, positive Karma and "Good Ju-Ju" your way.

Debbi (B minus 18 and counting down...)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 08:54:31 am »
Tamara -

I saw your "event" on the calendar this morning.

Glad you were able to add it.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 09:06:38 am »
http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

calendar link, all... housed in "AN Community".  Hope this helps. Everyone has access to it to add AN related events (and your bdays!)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Catflower

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 03:00:49 pm »
Lots of positive vibes and good karma headed your way.  I agree with Jan that you'll probably have the big white mastoid bandage.  If you are like me you won't give a hoot for a couple of days.

Linda in WV

Tamara

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 06:36:38 am »
Thanks everyone for the great Karma!  Debbie - I'll definitely be following your progress, and sending prayers and wishes your way on the 30th, at least until 7 pm, when I'm going to see "Spamalot"  ;)

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 07:47:52 am »
Tamara-

Then you must promise to laugh some extra laughs for me on the 30th!  I am not sure how much laughing I'll be doing by 7 pm that day, but it will cheer me up to know that you're laughing!

Debbi (headed to NYC for pre-admittance stuff tomorrow...)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 07:57:41 am »
Deb -

good luck with the pre-admittance stuff  :)

Jan

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:40 am »
Congrats Tamara, Debbi and all you other newbies that have either set your date for treatment or have just gone thru treatment!  I'm feeling...don't know the word(s)...envious ? - that can't be right, but I can't seem to make a decision about this thing, and so many of the rest of you have.  I know it took some of you a long time to make your treatment decisions, but I feel like I have all the info and input I'm going to get and I still can't decide.  I have met w/ all but one of the Atlanta docs that I'm going to meet w/ and I've talked w/ two of the House docs...anyway, I'll just continue to watch and read things here til I can decide.  I'm not fretting about it, just don't know what is going to push me one way or the other.

Wishing all of you who are just out of surgery speedy recoveries!! :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Melissa778

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 07:57:10 am »
Best of luck to you today on your Pre-Admit Debbi. :) 

I'm confused as far as doing both at the same time.....my doc didn't recommend doing the translab and BAHA at the same time?  Anyone know why that may not be a possibility?  Is it the norm to have them done at the same time or seperately?

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Tamara

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 08:16:45 am »
Melissa -
  I am not sure my doc would have "recommended" having them done together.  I asked him to have it done this way - I've read some older posts that indicated that perhaps there is an easier time getting insurance coverage.  From my way of thinking, this works for me - I get to hear again sooner, and there is only the one surgery.  My doc says it's fine with him - it should just take an extra 45 minutes or so.  And you'd think my insurance company would like it - only the one operating room, anesthesiologist, etc.  Kind of win-win in my book.  In truth, I do have yet to hear back from my insurance co, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Cindy -
  Hope you are able to sort things through.  From my humble point of view, surgery was the better of 2 less than perfect choices.  Still, I have to be happy that we actually HAVE choices!

Debbi -
  Happy per-admit day!

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 07:41:06 pm »
Thanks, Tamara.

The House doctors offered/suggested the BAHA be done at the same time as the Translab if that is the surgery I choose...I would probably have it done at the same time to avoid another trip to California.   And, I agree, you'd think insurance would appreciate the one time surgery, but guess you never know w/ insurance.

Cindy - still trying to decide what to do
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 09:34:03 pm »
I'll send good vibes and prayers - how's that?  I think that covers all the bases!

And I will make sure to laugh the whole day on surgery days!  People might wonder if I've finally gone off the deep end, but that's okay.  It's for a good cause!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.