Author Topic: Questions of deafness at center of new film from CNN.com  (Read 9961 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Questions of deafness at center of new film from CNN.com
« on: April 18, 2008, 02:44:56 pm »
figured I'd share this with you all after I read it... there is a wonderful quote that Marlee Maitlan notes in the article below, based on her character's conversation with her husband about their pursuit (or not) of cochlear implant for their son..... will "bold" it... but, if any of you watch this, would love your thoughts on it ....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/18/apontv.sweetnothing.ap/index.html

full article below....

Phyl

================================================

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Hunched at the bottom of a staircase on a bustling movie set, Jeff Daniels practices his second voice.

His hands speak loudly as he rehearses sign language for "Sweet Nothing in My Ear," a Hallmark Hall of Fame telefilm about a married couple torn apart when their young son loses his ability to hear.
"Every finger has to be in the right place," says Daniels, who co-stars with Marlee Matlin in the movie, which premieres Sunday (9 p.m. EDT) on CBS. Daniels, who had never signed before, simultaneously speaks and signs his dialogue throughout the film.
In a series of heated scenes, Daniels' fingers fly as his character, Dan Miller, who is hearing, and his wife, Laura (Matlin), who is deaf, clash over whether young Adam (Noah Valencia) should undergo cochlear implant surgery. Dan presses for the procedure, which involves placing an electronic device in the inner ear, while Laura adamantly rejects it.
The couple's conflict reflects the real-life controversy over cochlear implants, considered a rejection of deaf culture by some members of the deaf community. But for director Joseph Sargent, "Sweet Nothing" is as much about a fractured family as it is about cochlear implants.
"What's going to happen between these two people who love each other?" says Sargent, who directed "Love Is Never Silent," Hallmark's Emmy-winning 1985 TV movie about a deaf couple and their hearing daughter. "How are these people going to resolve hanging on to that beautiful little boy and to each other?"
Relaxing between scenes, Daniels, 53, praises the evenhandedness of the script, written by Stephen Sachs and based on his play of the same name. "On my character's end, why wouldn't you do the very best you could for your kid?" he says. "What if he could hear again?"
"But my wife's answer is, 'So what you're saying is, he's not normal, he needs to be fixed. So am I not normal? Do I need to be fixed?' There's a whole deaf culture that wants to be considered normal -- and they are," says Daniels, whose movie credits include "Terms of Endearment," "Good Night, and Good Luck" and "Dumb & Dumber."
A crew of sign language interpreters were on the set to assist Matlin and the company's other deaf actors, including Valencia, and Ed Waterstreet and Phyllis Frelich, who play Laura's parents.
An interpreter also assisted production consultant Linda Bove, who is deaf herself, communicate with the cast and crew. One of Bove's responsibilities was to make sure the actors' hands didn't drop out of sight of the camera while they signed during scenes. She also coached Daniels as he immersed himself in sign language for a few weeks before and during production.
At home in Michigan, Daniels reviewed online video clips of Bove signing his dialogue while an interpreter voiced them. Then he worked with Bove one-on-one for a few days in California before rehearsals started.
"When I read the script I said, 'I could blow this, I could just completely fail miserably,' " he says. "You've got these emotional scenes and yet it's like you're also juggling three peaches."
In one scene, Daniels talks as he carries a cardboard box into the Millers' house. During rehearsal, he carried the box into the house, then realized he needed both hands to sign his dialogue.
"Jeff's face went ashen white," Sargent says. Everything stopped while Daniels and Bove worked out a one-handed signing protocol. Such rethinking of staging and props was routine on the set, he says.
"Sweet Nothing" also challenged Matlin, who had never played a character who signed solely in American Sign Language, which has a different syntax than spoken or signed English.
Although Matlin, an Oscar winner for 1986's "Children of a Lesser God," routinely lip-reads, speaks and uses a hearing aid, she does none of these in "Sweet Nothing" because they don't suit her character, she says.
Rather, the 42-year-old actress signs silently in the film while an unseen actor voices her dialogue. Other deaf characters are "voiced" in similar fashion.
"I'm constantly making sure with Linda, 'Is this right, does this look good' because I want it to be authentic," Matlin says. "I'll have a very tough crowd watching me."
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Questions of deafness at center of new film from CNN.com
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:31:25 pm »
Phyl -

this is a very interesting dilemma.  If it were my personal situation, I don't know how I would feel or what choice I'd want for my child.

I didn't lose my hearing completely until my AN surgery last year, but one of my first discussions with my doc (as soon as I was coherent enough) pertained to what my choices were so I could hear again. 

Although I know that the BAHA won't be the same as having my hearing back, I can't imagine just living my life with SSD.  But I do realize that this in my personal choice and that it's not everyone else's.

I don't know if I'd feel differently if I were born deaf.  I'm sure that my world and how I interact with it would be completely different from what I know now, but if it was the only world I knew it probably wouldn't be so bad.

I guess I'm on the fence with this one.  I'm very interested to see what others think.

Jan   

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »
My sister is a sign language interpreter in Seattle, and has been for many years. The deaf culture is very strong, especially in that city, and they make an important point: deaf people are people first, and deaf second. It is entirely right for society to recognize and include the deaf in everything, just as we do for blonds, or lefties, or big and tall, etc.

I think it really comes down to how effective a cochlear implant is. If it has a reasonable chance of restoring reasonable hearing, that would be one thing. But if, as I suspect, it produces a poor semblance of hearing, then it is a different story. It then sends the message that anything is better than being deaf, and that is the message that the deaf community objects to so strongly. Teaching deaf children to speak poorly, for instance, is not better than teaching them to sign well. Being a poor listener is not as good as being a good signer. Many deaf people attain an impressive level of functionality in our society; the deaf culture really does work.

Here I am with my three week old hearing aid; am I being hypocritical? I don't think so, because the hearing aid restores my left ear to an excellent level of hearing. If that is what young Adam needed, I think Laura (and the community she represents) would be enthusiastic and supportive. What they object to is desperate measures in the face of deafness, instead of accepting it when it occurs, and joining the world of deaf culture.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 12:15:28 am »
I think Jan, knowingly or not, hit upon the exact point of the movie; the fact that deaf people and non-deaf people come at the subject of the implants from two different sides.  Those that have been deaf all of their lives know only a world without sound while hearing people, obviously, know the world with sound.  Both consider their world "normal" because it's all they've known.  With that said, it stands to reason that a hearing person would want to give their world to their child as would a deaf parent.  It sounds like an interesting movie because of that dynamic and how the couple ultimately decides to resolve that issue for the benefit of not only their child, but their relationship.

I love movies and tv shows that explore social dynamics and struggles.  Survivor and Big Brother (no snickering!) are two shows that have really nailed the group social dynamic space on tv.  In survivor, a group of total strangers are thrown onto a remote island with precious nothing to survive with and are competing for a large sum of money.  It's interesting, to me at least, to see the social dynamics that emerge and playout during the season.

If for no other reason, I'd like to see this movie to see the social dynamic of one deaf parent and one hearing parent.  The quote by Matlin is priceless.  It really strikes to the heart of the dynamic between the two "sides" about what is considered "normal".  What's more is that both sides are "right".  That makes for an epic battle of right vs wrong, good vs bad, etc..  Has anyone else been watching Dancing With The Stars this season?  Matlin is on the show (if she's already been voted off, don't spoil it for me because I'm still a few weeks behind!).  It's interesting that she's doing this show, dancing (quite well I might add) while not being able to hear the music.  It's also interesting to watch her dance because of the non-verbal queues that her partner works into their dance to keep her on the beat, going the right way, etc..  It's been really facinating!

Thanks for posting it, Phyl.  :D

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 06:33:00 am »
great conversation folks. Now, I know Hollywood is going to do their "thang" to it for dramatic purposes but the underlying message.... has certainly piqued my interest.  Since the BoSox are playing early in the day, I'm going to try to catch the movie to see their take on it....... I thought it was good subject matter and wanted to share with you all.... thanks for sharing your thoughts/feelings on it.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 08:14:24 am »
I'll definitely watch the movie or record it and watch it at a later date because it sounds well-done, with a thoughtful script and talented actors (I've always been a fan of Marlee Matlin).  However, I'm going to be the contrarian here and take the position that being the parent of a  hearing child that becomes deaf and not trying to do whatever is possible to help him regain at least some level of hearing is...for the already-deaf parent...somewhat selfish and certainly not in the best interests of the child. 

We are created as human beings with the intent of being able to hear.  Hearing is a vital function, even though human ingenuity has made deafness much less of an impediment to living a 'normal' life.  Marlee Matlin is an excellent example of that kind of human spirit that rises above physical obstacles.  She has enjoyed a robust acting career, is married (to a hearing husband) and has four children.  Her performances on 'Dancing With The Stars' are nothing short of remarkable, considering the fact that she cannot hear the music that she is dancing to.  I admire this woman and salute her accomplishments, all achieved without the benefit of usable hearing.   I realize there is a long-term and successful movement in the deaf community that contends deafness shouldn't be treated as a handicap or the deaf in any way treated as inferior and I concur with that position.  However, because we, as human beings, are hearing beings, the absence of the ability to hear is definitely a handicap in an otherwise hearing world, as most of us with SSD can readily testify.

Of course we shouldn't ostracize or otherwise deny the deaf their full rights and try to accommodate their situation in any way possible.  Fortunately, we have laws that make that mandatory, although, as we all know, we cannot always control the actions and words of ignorant, rude people.  However, the reality remains that deafness is not 'normal', no more than blindness is normal or the inability to walk, etc.  Pretending that a profoundly deaf person is not handicapped to some extent is shallow thinking.  I can understand why the 'deaf community' attempt to present deafness as 'normal' (for a deaf person) - but it isn't.   Blind people don't pretend that blindness is normal, even though some notable blind people have made great contributions to our society over the years.    Were my child to be stricken with blindness, if it were feasible, I would want him to receive a corneal transplant to regain his sight.  I know a lady who was born with spinal bifida and has never walked.  While her condition is 'normal' for her, as it's all she's ever known, I suspect that she would abandon her motorized wheelchair in an instant were she given the opportunity to walk.  This 'deaf community' that seems to fear admitting deafness is not perfectly normal and opposes a deaf person - especially a child - receiving a cochlear implant because it 'rejects his deafness' seems rather perverse.  If an adult who is deaf wishes to embrace their deafness, that is their right.  While I wouldn't make that same decision for myself, were I totally deaf, I would not try to stop or dissuade a deaf person from refusing a cochlear implant if that was their choice.  However, if it is a child in question and that child has had hearing and lost it for whatever reason, that is a different story.  Then, I would certainly take 'Dan Miller's" (Jeff Daniels) side and insist on a cochlear implant for the child, if possible.  I think Marlee Matlin's character (Laura Miller) is being somewhat selfish in this instance and condeming her child to a silent existence because she doesn't want to feel like an 'outsider' to her own child.  A fear which is likely unfounded.  Your mom is always your mom and we all love our mothers no matter what.   

Deafness is not like gender, race or even sexual identity.  It is an affliction.  To make it a PC-protected condition that is respected is one thing  and we can probably all agree on that.  But, in the situation presented in the TV movie 'Sweet Nothing In My Ear" , to deny a deaf child the opportunity to hear again because he is now considered (by his deaf mother) a part of the 'deaf community', as if he were gay, a racial minority or otherwise socially disenfranchised by virtue of his affliction, is simply perverse and I cannot agree with the premise.  The boy has gone deaf.  He didn't choose this and it can be helped with medical technology.  Why not do it?

I'll watch the movie to see how this hypothetical but probably real-life-for-some dilemma is resolved by the writer.  I will be disappointed if the child in question is denied the opportunity to hear, simply because his deaf mother feels threatened by that, which seems to be the underlying motivation for her opposition to the boy receiving a cochlear implant.  I admire Marlee Matlin as an actress and a very able person who has surmounted a serious physical obstacle in her life, but I won't be on her side while watching this movie and I sincerely hope that she wouldn't take this position in real life, especially if were her child in question.

Of course, this is just a personal opinion and not an issue I wish to debate to any great extent.  Life is too short.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:35:10 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 10:05:19 am »
Great perspectives everyone. I'm on the fence, but in this story I would lean towards restoring a child to whatever he was. If he was born deaf, and I was his deaf mother, I would leave it. If the little boy was older and accustomed to the world of the hearing, I would do all in my power to restore hearing. If the child was older still, I would let him make his own choice.

Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 10:41:01 am »
Thanks Brian for summing up what I was trying to say; you said it much better than I did  :)

It's interesting to read all these different opinions.

I forgot to say in my prior post that when I found out I was SSD, being only 45 years old, it never occurred to me that I should just stay that way.  I figured if there was something my doc could do to help me hear again, that there was no question of me pursuing it.  In my mind, it was a given.

I don't know if I'll catch the movie - don't watch TV very much or very often - so I may have to hear from you guys what decision the parents made.  Wonder if anyone asks the child his opinion ???  He is a child (I don't know what age) but IMO he should be able to weigh in on this - afterall, it's his life.

Jan 

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 04:46:14 pm »
Wonder if anyone asks the child his opinion ???  He is a child (I don't know what age) but IMO he should be able to weigh in on this - afterall, it's his life.

Hey Jan, does that remind you of a book we read recently?  ;)

Does anyone have an idea how good a cochlear implant might be in a situation like this? Would Adam regain good speech recognition, for instance?

Along with a decision to do the implant itself, there is an implied decision to pursue a hearing person's approach to things like speaking, listening, education, and social interaction. That is where Laura and the deaf community might argue that Adam would be better off as a deaf person. There are many deaf people who have tales of woe from childhoods spent struggling to try and act like a hearing person, getting punished for signing, and the like. If a person really can't hear normal conversation, or hear themselves speak, it makes sense to adopt the very effective system of sign language and the rest of the deaf culture. The deaf person will be happier that way.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 09:15:31 pm »

Hey Jan, does that remind you of a book we read recently?  ;)

Why, yes, Steve it does.  Funny you should mention that  :)

BTW, are you going to join us in our "elephant book" discussion.  I think we're starting around May 1st, since I haven't even cracked the book yet  ::)

Hope to see you there,

Jan

Jim Scott

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 10:18:44 pm »
O.K.  I just watched the Hallmark Hall of fame presentation of 'Sweet Nothing In My Ear'.  It was excellent, as I expected, and also, as I expected, Jeff Daniel's character pretty much said everything I would have said.  I felt as if I could have written the script...at least for his character.  I reject the premise that deafness is akin to being a racial minority and has it's own 'culture' so that anyone advocating a cochlear implant for a deaf child is somehow insulting deaf people and telling them they are 'inferior'.  In my opinion, that is nonsense.   A deaf person has been deprived of an important physical sense.  They are not 'inferior', but they are handicapped, whether they wish to admit it, or not.  As a person with SSD, I consider myself handicapped.  Mildly so in comparison to a totally deaf person but still, somewhat handicapped.  To simply admit I don't have fully functional hearing and this is somewhat limiting is not minimizing my value as a human being.

I was disappointed by the somewhat muddled ending (the issue of the child in question receiving a cochlear implant) so that we could have a tacked-on sentimental ending where the heretofore battling parents could get together as 'best friends' and would simply accept whatever a judge in a custody hearing decided (if mom gets custody - no implant.  If dad gets custody - implant).  I felt this was a too-cute way to avoid any judgments and allow each 'side' to be right in their own eyes.  However, I'm no film critic and I'm sure most people enjoyed the movie.  I did too.  I simply disagree with the attempt to make deafness a PC issue, which I feel is ridiculous.  Well, it was only a movie and hardly worth getting too agitated about.  As I often say: life is too short.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 10:24:12 pm »
I made it a point to watch the movie tonight, but I'm still trying to sort out my opinion of it.

A lot of good points were brought up on both sides of the argument.  And I think they did a good job of showing both parent's perspectives and why they felt they way they did.  However, I felt a little "cheated" because no real decision was made.  We were lead to believe we knew the parents' ultimate choice, but we were also left to believe that maybe over time that choice would change.

I am interested to read the article in the Hallmark magazine that they referred to at the end of the movie; I'll have to pick it up.

Jan

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 05:39:48 am »
Caught it as well... I have to agree about the initial debate of whether a parent should make a decision for a minor aged child to do a procedure like that or not..... and in Jeff Daniel's character's case... for his own selfish reason... but, I understood his character's point of a parent doing all they can to help their child with life..... yet, the mom's point of accepting what is.... and learning to deal with it from there, while still being a viable member to the community.

As I sat there watching it, it brought thoughts of debates here about "should I get a BAHA?", "should I get a Transear?", "how do I deal with SSD when I had some hearing before my treatment?", etc........ thus, my reason for posting this here.  We discuss so many times about trying to support others that lose their hearing from this "journey" we endure and even as the movie noted (the judge in the end) about how much it's a highly-personal choice and her focus was the kid's parental custody, not whether he should have a cochlear implant or not........ my question is... now, not being a parent.... how do you make that kind of choice for a child?

In the end, I thought of folks here that I have met or spoken to or have seen post..... how do you adjust to what this AN journey has brought to each of us? Do you take the option, if available, to attempt in obtaining some sort of hearing abilities or..... do you just "deal" with it and make the best of it?  A highly personal question.......

Jan, I'd be interested in the article as well... and noted the 2 DVD's getting ready to go on sale as well, also dealing with family combined issues of having hearing impared in a "hearing" family......

Overall, thought the movie was good from a parent's standpoint in trying to do what is best for a child.... but, like Jim and Jan noted.... the ending fell flat.

Phyl

Jim Scott

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 01:22:57 pm »

Caught it as well... I have to agree about the initial debate of whether a parent should make a decision for a minor aged child to do a procedure like that or not..... and in Jeff Daniel's character's case... for his own selfish reason... but, I understood his character's point of a parent doing all they can to help their child with life..... yet, the mom's point of accepting what is.... and learning to deal with it from there, while still being a viable member to the community.

Accepting one's deafness is fine, albeit somewhat limiting, if that is an adult decision.  'Accepting' deafness for your child is another story.  Would a mother 'accept' autism or some other affliction for her child?  I think not.  I noticed that the movie avoided having either parent ask the child how he felt about remaining deaf or having limited but functional hearing.  As the child's father, my position would be that I would give the child the opportunity to have hearing via the cochlear implant and if, at 18 or so, since he would still be deaf, if he chose to not use the implant (to hear), that would be then be his decision..   

As I sat there watching it, it brought thoughts of debates here about "should I get a BAHA?", "should I get a Transear?", "how do I deal with SSD when I had some hearing before my treatment?", etc........ thus, my reason for posting this here.  We discuss so many times about trying to support others that lose their hearing from this "journey" we endure and even as the movie noted (the judge in the end) about how much it's a highly-personal choice and her focus was the kid's parental custody, not whether he should have a cochlear implant or not........ my question is... now, not being a parent.... how do you make that kind of choice for a child?

In the end, I thought of folks here that I have met or spoken to or have seen post..... how do you adjust to what this AN journey has brought to each of us? Do you take the option, if available, to attempt in obtaining some sort of hearing abilities or..... do you just "deal" with it and make the best of it?  A highly personal question......

I had excellent hearing in both ears before my AN destroyed the hearing nerve in one ear, leaving me with SSD.  I have chosen to 'deal with it' (fairly successfully) and not obtain a BAHA or TransEar device.   I'm also an adult.  Whether anyone supports my decision or not, it is mine to make...and live with, for better or worse.  This highlights the difference between making an adult decision and making such a decision for your child.  I'm a parent and I can tell you that making such a life-changing decision for a minor child is quite difficult but sometimes necessary.  This is why I would give my deaf child the option, when he or she became an adult, to stay with the cochlear implant with it's benefits and limitations or choose to remain totally deaf at all times and live in that so-called 'community'.

I did learn a few things from the movie.  I found it rather interesting that the 'deaf community' differentiates between those born deaf and those who lost their ability to hear at a later date, as if this made them second-class deaf citizens.  How absurd...and petty... is that?   I also learned about the limited future earning power for the majority of deaf people, which is disheartening but not shocking.  I also learned that many deaf Americans receive government disability payments - yet the spokespeople for the 'deaf community' insist deafness isn't a disability.  Of course I don't begrudge the deaf from receiving government (taxpayer) funded financial assistance as their earning poweris limited and our government can find the tax money to fund many things that are less worthy.  However, if deafness isn't a disability (a premise I reject) than why accept government money based solely on one supposedly having a disability?  This bit of hypocrisy simply adds to my contention that, in the movie scenario, the father was right, even if he was being 'selfish' for wanting his boy to be able to hear again (after losing his hearing at age 3) and the deaf mother was equally 'selfish' for wanting to keep her son deaf at all times so she could relate to him and keep him in her deaf 'community'.   If one has to plead guilty to being 'selfish'(in their motivation) then I would side with the father and his desire to allow his deaf son the opportunity to hear again, even if imperfectly and in a limited fashion.   

Jan, I'd be interested in the article as well... and noted the 2 DVD's getting ready to go on sale as well, also dealing with family combined issues of having hearing impared in a "hearing" family......

Overall, thought the movie was good from a parent's standpoint in trying to do what is best for a child.... but, like Jim and Jan noted.... the ending fell flat.

Yes, it did.  The PC plague struck again.  The scripwriter(s) wimped out on arriving at a real conclusion so that you can take either parents 'side' and, at least in your own mind, not be 'wrong'. In that case, I was right.  Dad gets custody and Adam (his deaf son) receives the cochlear implant and can hear - and learn to speak - again.  Mom pouts but she and her now-divorced husband remain 'best friends'.  Violins play and we fade to black - as does my interest in further commenting on this movie.

Jim

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 01:46:49 pm »
thanks Jim! :) Very insightful as always! :) Great post.....

I watched my folks agonize over a life-altering decision for one of my sisters for when she was 12 yrs old. She would not have had the capacity to try to understand the situation... and in their case, they had to jointly make the best decision they could for her at the time.  In the movie, they noted the son had lost his hearing at a young age (and possibly.... did not remember what it was to "hear").  I'm in line to think that it should be the son's decision but for when he is older to understand all that it involves (ie: benefits, risks, etc) and with his folks love and guidance, then make the decision.

My folks did they best the could in my sister's situation....... if they had chosen one option offered... or, as they did, they "accepted" what was the situation.... I knew they had my sister's best interest at heart, as she wouldn't have fully understood at that age.  Regardless of the outcome, they "accepted"... we all learned to accept .. and made the best of it as best as we could.

Again, as you noted... all personal decisions....

Phyl