Author Topic: Lots of Big Dates Coming Up  (Read 5527 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Lots of Big Dates Coming Up
« on: April 25, 2008, 08:54:42 am »
I just looked at the calendar again - and was amazed at how many of us are scheduled for treatment/surgery in the next few weeks!
Me on the 30th
Pooter and Kimberly on the 8th
Ceci on the 13th
Claire on the 14th
Melissa on the 15th

Holy Cow!  My goal is to lead the charge with a successful surgery - so I can send lots of prayers and positive ju-ju to everyone coming behind me!

I am going to have my husband post after my surgery so that you'll all know the outcome (which will be positive, of course - I refuse to have it any other way.)

Debbi (breathing in NJ - and heading for the spa!)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

danijake

Re: Lots of Big Dates Coming Up
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 08:58:40 am »
Good luck to everyone having surgery or rad. My prayers are with everyone all the time!!!

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:08:28 am »
Best of luck to everyone who is having treatement soon! Have a smooth and uneventful recovery.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 02:36:20 pm »
Hey Debbi
Have an enjoyable, peaceful, and relaxing weekend.  We'll all be with you in thoughts and prayers on Wednesday.  When are you headed to the hospital?
Best wishes.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 02:49:42 pm »
I too am praying for and keeping my fellow ANers in my thoughts, including the poor fellow who bumped my surgery date from May to June. He needs the good wishes as much as the rest of us.

Good luck to all of you with your AN treatments!!

Syl

1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 03:57:14 pm »
Hi, Debbi:

Thanks for the heads-up regarding all the upcoming surgeries/radiation treatments within the next 30 days.  And they say AN's are rare.  :)

I want to let you, Pooter, Ceci, Claire and Melissa know that you have many unseen but very real friends here and we'll be thinking of you, praying for you and sending you guys all the positive vibes we can when your 'Big Day' comes.   

I know your surgical outcome will be positive Debbi.  It's kind of you to have your hubby post your results for us, as the waiting is sometimes maddening, even though we understand the reasons for a delay in posting following surgery. 

Now, enjoy the spa and whatever else you want to do as you mentally and emotionally prepare for your 'Big Day'.  You'll be fine.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 05:39:16 pm »
Deb -

Jim is right, you'll be fine  :)

Keep the positive attitude and enjoy the spa!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denisex2boys

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 07:59:41 pm »
Prayers and 'virtual' ((((HUGS)))) to everyone - - now send me some good vibes that my date is set soon ....... I hate this waiting .....
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 10:48:59 pm »
Denise -

I hope your surgery date is scheduled soon.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

BTW, I just checked out your blog.  Your boys are adorable  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

calimama

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 10:06:41 am »
I guess i have been a bit lazy in updating everyone on my "due diligence" and track so far. As you can all imagine, it has been a busy 3 weeks of chatting up surgeons and rad docs.

I raise this on this post (thanks Debbie, and good luck to you and best wishes for a great outcome) because i actually booked a surgical date a week and a half ago and it's for MAY 12 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAVE I GONE COMPLETELY MAD?!?!?!?

Even i can't answer this.

Truth is ... i have not TOTALLY decided. I am 80-20 for surgery at this point. But i had the option for an quick surgical date so i took it, figuring i could finish my research with something locked-in if i wanted to go that route after all.

The 20% is in favour of FSR (25 session LINAC). I ruled out GK has my AN is 2.9cm and i have quite a bit of brain stem compression (no symptoms though, no urgency, and no indications that rads is not an option for me). Even this was not an easy decision, but it got me a little closer.

I have not ruled out FSR as there is a chance to save my 70% hearing. I can easily manage the 5 week treatment and in fact work is across the street from the hospital i would be treated at (no 60 mile drive to and fro everyday like some on this board had to manage)! There is minimal risk to facial nerve, etc. and the low dose is expected to be well tolerated, even with the BS effect (i mean 'brainstem' guys!). I am so tempted to take this route... it seems soo..... EASY compared with surgery.

Not that anything is easy here. I have agonized day and night and have for the past 2 months.

SO WHY AM I STILL LEANING TOWARDS SURGERY??!?!?!?

One of my big issues (as many might recall) is that i am keen to have another baby soon (i turned 39 in Feb). The rad doctor told me that i should consider waiting 12 months after rads to conceive. He said swelling is possible particularly in the first year, although he was not super concerned. But obviously if i am pregs it would create issues if i did have some problems (no MRI, steriods? emerg surgery?). Apparently there is small (theoritical) risk of radiation scatter to ovaries, but no issues documented. But at my age, i already have increased risks of birth defects... so do i want to increase this even a tiny tiny little bit?? (i did have a healthy little girl in March of last year at age 38). Also, there is that 5-10% chance that the rads dont work and then i am in bind if pregs... and of course there is the debate about surgery after rads. I do have a med-large 2.2x2.9cm AN.

Another reason for considering surgery is that i have access to a great surgurical team (a tumor guru n.surgeon). He has done 200 (80 retrosigmoid, which is the method he recommends as mine is in the CPA and i have good hearing), which might not sound like a lot to some of you (as i know there are some docs in the US with many more, even thousands i think), but in Canada, we have 10% of the population (so 10% of the ANs) and people dont travel out of province/state for treatment unless it is not available in your home province. Also, I can take the 2-3 months off work to recover, i have a great hubbie and my mom a few hours away.

I will be meeting with the surgeon next Thursday so i will have my final Q's and hopefully i will be firm after that. I still have told only a handful of people, so i am really running this decision down to the wire.

If you have any thoughts on this mess i am, your are running out of time to say something!! HA!

Where is that calendar anyway??? The one that we can load our dates into??

OH, and i had a follow up MRI a week ago and it showed no growth since Janauary.

Maybe i should flip a coin??????????

UG!!!!!!!!!!!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 10:42:06 am »
Trish -

Before I start, I want to stess that this my opinion - and only my opinion.

I understand why you'd want to do the surgery in light of your wish to get pregnant.  From what you are saying about the radiation, it sounds like it wouldn't fit into your plans.  However, I would not have the surgery until you are absolutely sure that its the best choice for you. 

Going into my surgery, I was 100% certain that it was the right thing for me to do.  I can't imagine being on the fence about my choice as I was wheeled into surgery.

The calendar link is at the bottom of Steve's (sgerrard) signature line.

Jan

danijake

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 10:53:40 am »
Trish,

Take your time and make the "perfect" decision for you. I was rushed into surgery by my Dr who told me my tumor was very large(1.8 cm is only the beginning of medium and no symptoms) I guess he didn't go to his class for the medical updates on these things!!!!!

You can always reschedule your surgery if you're not ready. it's your head and they can't force you to do anything you are unsure about.

Best of luck with your decision. We're all praying for you.

Dani

Mama R

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 11:14:00 am »
Calimama - As everyone has said over and over on this website, all of us have to make our own decision as to what treatment is best. I chose surgery. One of the reasons I chose surgery was because I felt I was farely young, but not too :) - 50 - and healthy. If I chose wait-n-watch or radiation I was concerned I could possibly be faced with a surgery down the road when perhaps I was not so healthy. I am the type of person who needed rid of it in order to move on and felt surgery was the best way to accomplish this. I did my footwork and am very confident in the team of doctors I chose. I had the translab surgery on 3/21/08 and am now recoverying. My surgery was a complete success and I am now on my way to moving on. As I said,  we all have our own reasons for the choice we make and given the fact that you are teetering I thought I would share. Best of Luck and I will pray for your serentity.
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 11:53:48 am »
Trish:

These decisions (surgery or radiation) are always difficult and with your desire to become pregnant soon, this adds another dimension.  It appears as if you've weighed all the variables and are just about at a final decision.  No one can make that ultimate choice for you but we can offer our support in whatever you decide to do.  The final meeting with the surgeon should clinch your decision, one way or the other.  Of course we all realize that there are inherent risks involved in microsurgery as well as radiation.

As Dani stated, it's wise to have a surgery date because you can always cancel it if you change your mind.  My initial surgery date - slated for just days after my diagnosis due to brainstem involvement- had to be canceled due to a pre-op-discovered cancer scare that turned out, thank God, to be a false alarm.  I was immediately placed back on the surgery schedule and had my retro surgery within 10 days.  I think you know how it all turned out, including the follow-up FSR.  :) 

Whatever your final decision, I wish you the best possible outcome and a rapid and complete recovery so you can become a mama...again.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 12:54:47 pm »
AAAARRR! ahoy and shivver me timbers!  Gonna have to get me some more pirate sox fer the likes of all of you wenches!  Pirate sox is what we wears for good luck for the ones goin in tp zap or scoop those little brainboogers outta those loverly noggins of yours. Is Pooter a Wench or a Scallywag?  This forum is gettin so crowded, I just lose track sometimes!

Best of luck to all of you and smooth seas and fair winds and well.

Remember a little Piratittude goes a long way!

Love,

Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW