Author Topic: Lots of Big Dates Coming Up  (Read 5528 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Lots of Big Dates Coming Up
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 01:06:28 pm »
Capt Deb -

Pooter (Brian) is a scallywag  :)

Nothing personal, Pooter  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 01:41:47 pm »
Hey Trish-

Wow - you've been a busy mama!  Like others have said, just make sure you are comfortable and confident with your deciision.  In some ways, it was easier not to have choices - made it easier for me.

Keep us all posted, and update the calendar when you have a final date, okay?

Debbi - boogerectomy minus FOUR!!!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 05:54:51 pm »
Looks like my pirate sock are going to get worn out BIG time this month! Wishes of wellness to you all that have upcoming treatments!!! I'm cheering you on!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 11:23:29 pm »
All:  Thanks for the well-wishes!  I, too, have someone lined up to post after my surgery to update you guys.  Actually, I have 2.  Either my wife or a co-worker will be posting updates for me.  :D

Phyl:  None taken.  I actually shaved my head clean again today.  So, give me a large, gold hoop ear ring and I'd look kinda like Mr. Clean.  Haha.  :D

Trish:  I can't really add much to what others have told you.  I would think that which ever route you go, you would still probably have to wait a year to get pregnant.  With rad treatments, the reason is obvious.  But, for surgery, it's possible they'll get in there and only do a partial removal and have to follow up later with rad.  Whichever route you decide, you know that everyone here will support your decision. It's a very personal decision and nobody here will judge it.  I'm like some others in that my surgery date can't get here fast enough.  I just want to get it out and move on.  I did my homework and am 100% confident in my decision and the surgical team.  I refuse to second guess my decison even if others around me do.

Regards,

Scallywag Pooter  (Aye Capt!!!)  :D
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

sgerrard

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 12:12:53 am »

HAVE I GONE COMPLETELY MAD?!?!?!?

If you have any thoughts on this mess i am, your are running out of time to say something!! HA!

OH, and i had a follow up MRI a week ago and it showed no growth since Janauary.

Hi Trish,

I can't pass up an invitation like that, so here is my take on it all.

I think some of your concerns are legitimate, and some are not really relevant. Anything below the 1% range is unlikely (i.e. surgery after radiation, the first reported incident of  radiation striking your ovaries), so don't worry about those, focus on the main things.

If you successfully had a child at 38, there should not be much difference between having one at 39, and having one at 40. It's not like the Cinderella story, where the lights go out at midnight, or something. It just gradually becomes more difficult. Either way you are undergoing a major medical procedure, and you should probably take some time for recuperation afterwards, regardless of which way you go.

At 2.9 cm, and located in the CP angle, your AN is at the large end of the scale for radiation, and a classic case for retrosigmoid surgery. I would be concerned about a brainstem effect from radiation; and from a hearing nerve and/or facial nerve effect from surgery. I would wait six months after surgery to get pregnant, and a year after radiation.

If your AN was say 3.5 cm, you would almost certainly be doing the surgery, so no, you're not crazy, it is perfectly sensible choice of treatment. If it was just 2 cm, you would probably do the radiation treatment instead. You happen to be on the borderline - maybe you need that coin after all.

Have a good surgery.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 07:42:10 am »
Phyl:  None taken.  I actually shaved my head clean again today.  So, give me a large, gold hoop ear ring and I'd look kinda like Mr. Clean.  Haha.  :D

Well, Mr. Clean, my kitchen floor is really looking ecccchhhh right now..... got a new mop..... you can practice on cleaning my kitchen floor before all the scallyways need to swap the deck! :)

(I bet it looks great!!!  How's your wife enjoying "the new look"?)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 08:26:09 pm »
Phyl,

Wife likes the look.  She actually likes me with hair better, but I wore it bald for a couple of years up until just before diagnosis.  I grew it out because she liked it.  Then, I got the diagnosis and felt the need to shave it again.  When I wear it this way, I'll shave it clean and then let it grow for a week or two then shave it again.  I figure after shaving it clean this weekend, the length will be just about perfect for my stay in the hospital (not too long that I feel the need to wash it, but not so short that it catches on everything).  There is a method to my apparent madness.

So, where's that new mop so I can break it in on your floor?  ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 08:30:23 pm »
Brian, if you look at my frappr page (see my sig line below), you'll see pics (scroll down to bottom left) to see my bloke, just about bald.... he's grown it in since, as well as moustache/goatee, but like you.... he's been "bald" for a while.... I bet it looks great on you!

Ok, got me a new mop! Got me the Mr. Clean... got me the dirty kitchen floor....I'm set! :D

Phyl

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 07:38:13 am »
Well, personally, I like my hubby best with a buzz cut - but I think he's the " bees knees" no matter what!  I'm a lucky wench!

And, also getting pretty nerved up with only two days until .... boogerectomy!!!!!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

calimama

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 10:45:50 am »
I met with my family doctor yesterday, first time since i asked her to send me to see somebody about my hearing loss. She had received a letter from the surgeon i am scheduled with, explaining the diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. She said she nearly fainted when she read it, and that in 18 years she had never seen this before. I have known her for 7 years and she was disappointed especially because she knew of my baby wishes.

I hope i have done some good in that my FD is more educated about ANs and will know that when a young person (i was 36) comes complaining about SSHL (i am sure you guys can figure this one out!) and tinnitus, it MAY BE A TUMOR AND NOT ALLERGIES!

Anyway, she said rightfully that it was a very tough and personal decision. But "if i was her sister" she would encourage me have it removed. It really did help me move that much closer to "comfort" on this... I am really getting there.

So i will put my 12th date in the calendar and get going with all the other preparations (time off work, dealing with day care, etc).

Steve ... thanks for your thoughts on this. I value these and find comfort in them.

Pooter... also thanks and best wishes for your surgery!!

Debbie ... nearly there... we will all be with you in spirit.

Thanks to one and all.
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.