Author Topic: Debbi Bifulco Update  (Read 124061 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Debbi Bifulco Update
« Reply #720 on: July 28, 2008, 04:06:32 pm »
Debbi:

You're progressing, even if not as rapidly as you might wish, but seeing progress is vital to staying positive.  You're consistently upbeat, affirmative attitude is inspiring to many and has no doubt been a real benefit to you.  That attitude has it's own life and has spread to others following your journey.  You have many fans and supporters here, as you know.  We cheer your victories and empathize with your down days, which in your case, are relatively few.  When I count my many blessings, your acquaintance via these forums is among them.

Thanks for remaining an essential member of this group.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JulieE

« Reply #721 on: July 28, 2008, 05:07:32 pm »
Wow, Debbi - 49 pages of replies to your updates!  You are clearly loved and your progress followed by many, so I would just be jumping on the virtual band wagon when I add my hurray, and wish you continued improvement!
Julie

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #722 on: July 29, 2008, 09:14:22 am »
I must say that I feel that I've made some wonderful friendships here - who knew so many really great people would have brain tumors?? ::)  I find myself worrying about you, cheering you on, celebrating your successes each day.  Willie asks me each week - "who's having treatments this week?"  Yes, you've all become a part of my life in a very special way.  I'm glad that I can hang out here, and happier still if I can provide support and encouragement to others along the way.  And, I remain profoundly grateful for the support and encouragement you give me each day.

Thanks!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #723 on: August 01, 2008, 08:22:54 pm »
Hi Debbi!!!
It sounds like you are doing even better than ever.  I am so glad you seem to be past all the hurdles your AN journey has placed in your way.  You truly are one of the strongest people I have ever met.  As you probably know -- I AM HOME!!!!!   It feels great to be out of the hospital.  I got home yesterday about 3:30 p.m.  I have to say that as soon as I sat in the wheelchair that returned me to the outside world I felt about 85% better.  I tried posting almost right away but could not stay online very long because I am having a big problem with my back -- probably from all the uncomfortable hospital beds I've slept in in the past week.  Today has been a much better day although my back is still killing me.  All I can say is thank God for Thermacare Heat Pads -- they've saved me a lot of pain. 

When I think about how far you've come in the past three months or seem it seems to me you have had an amazing journey and happily it seems to just keep getting better.  You are truly an inspiration in this forum and I think I am not alone when I say you have set the barametor high for those of us who follow you. 

You rock!!

Hugs,
Wendy

P.S.  Thank you again for being such an excellent press secretary!!!
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #724 on: August 02, 2008, 05:37:02 pm »
Wendy - I'm so GLAD that you are home!!!  You must have loved sleeping in your own bed last night!  And, have you been able to shower and wash your hair?  I think it was Marci who compared that to a religious experience - an apt description!  Your back may hurt for awhile (mine did) - can you try to gentle stretching?  I found that this really helped me in terms of getting some of the "kinks" out.

As for me, yes, I am feeling good these days.  I feel so much less self-conscious about my face now and I think that is a big help mentally.  I still get tired some days, but I know that is just my body trying to make me listen so it doesn't worry me.    I am doing really well with the SSD thing so far, too.  Yep, I think I can safely say that I've survived brain surgery!!   :D

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. 

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

wendysig

« Reply #725 on: August 02, 2008, 07:22:51 pm »
Hi Debbi -
I would say you have more than survived brain siurgery -- you have met every challenge with courage.  Sometimes I think we got these things to test us iln some way.  It seems to bring out the best in just about everyone from what I've seen.  I not only got to shower and shampoo, but I did it in record time -- two days after surgery with the permission and blessing  of the amazing Dr. Choe.  Check out Marci's thread on showers for my story if you'd like.

Wendy

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #726 on: August 09, 2008, 09:48:36 pm »
Debbi -
Just popping to say "hi".  I think my tenure in the Icky Head Club may be short lived.  I took my bandaid off earlier this evening to change it and it was dry and the incision has remained dry since then  I'll see what tomorrow brings, but my icky head experience may be over.  YAY!!!  Hope you are feeling well.

Wendy

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #727 on: August 10, 2008, 08:30:36 am »
Yep, no one wants to stay in the icky-head club a minute longer than necessary!  Glad you are done (hopefully) with that, Wendy!

So, I had to give my eye a Blinkeze-break.  My eyelid started to get all puffy and scratchy on Thursday, so I very reluctantly removed the weight and have been suffering through relentless drops and an eye patch at night for the last 3 nights while my lid recovers.  I have always tended to be sensitive to adhesives, so I knew this might happen.  Damn, though - it sucked not having my blinkeze all weekend!  I had almost forgotten what a royal pain it is to constantly keep puting drops and gel in my eye!  I just put my blessed Blinkeze back on this morning, and hopefully I'll get a good stretch with it before I need to take a break again.

I'm driving up to Newburgh, NY (near West Point) later today for a 2-day meeting that starts tomorrow morning so I wanted to be able to wear my blinkeze for the drive which will be about 90 minutes.  I hope to be able to wear it for the entire 2 days as it will be so much easier.  However, just in case, I am traveling with the full complement of eye care stuff.  I'll be brining the steamer trunk....

Don't know if I'll have internet connectivity at the Inn, so I may be absent for a few days from the forum.  But, I'll be continuing to send warm wishes and good thoughts to everyone here, no matter what stage of recovery you're in.

Cheers!
Debbi - blinking at you! ;)
2.4 cm Right Side AN

wendysig

« Reply #728 on: August 11, 2008, 08:14:38 am »
Hi Debbi -
Hope your trip goes well and your eyelid and the Blinkeze get along for the duration.  It seems my incision is fickle and I'm not quite ready to leave the icky head club yet -- darn it!  At least I'm just dripping occasionally  now instead of trickling.  I decided to leave the bandaid off today  and just smear on some bacitracin once in a while and see if thet helps things along.   Hopefully another day or two will be the end of this phase of my recovery.

Hope your trip is geat!
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #729 on: August 21, 2008, 04:24:24 pm »
Hi Debbi -
Just checking in to see how you are, I haven't seen you post lately so I hope that means you are busy getting on with your life more and doing very well
Let's chat soon if you feel like it, let me know.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #730 on: August 22, 2008, 11:46:16 am »
Would love to catch up - you around this weekend?

BTW, here is a picture of my pre-surgery brain scan - pretty cool!  Can't wait to see what it looks liike in a few weeks when I go for my first post op MRI. 

Debbi, happy Ethel is gone...
2.4 cm Right Side AN

wendysig

« Reply #731 on: August 22, 2008, 10:35:51 pm »
Hi Debbi -
Wow -- Ethel looks impressive.  I'm sure it will we kind of weird, but in to good way, to see that she is gone.  When are you going for your MRI?  I will be home on Sunday.  We are going to the beach tomorrow which should prove to be an interesting experience -- I haven't walked on sand in almost a year and am guessing it will be a real challenge with regard to balance.  If Sunday is good for you let me know the best time.

Looking forward to chatting,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #732 on: August 23, 2008, 06:33:15 am »
Debbi,

next MRI... "you'll have nuttin' up there" ;)

can't wait to see the next scan! Hang in there!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #733 on: October 19, 2008, 10:12:00 am »
Hi Debbi,

WOW, what a tumor! It will be GONE, I am sure when you get a reread. Keep us posted, for sure. I too am getting to the time of my follow-up MRI. GULP! :o

I laugh everytime you mention Ethel, because of it being my middle name until I got married and quickly changed my middle name to my maiden name.

Take care,

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #734 on: October 21, 2008, 12:21:04 pm »
Hey, Mary-

Great to hear from you!  When is your follow up MRI?  I think I would have been more nervous if I hadn't had surgery, since I pretty much knew that there wouldn't be anything to see at this point.  I suppose in future years I'll be a bit more apprehensive.  But, that is what they created valium for!

Meanwhiile, you reminded me that I never posted my AFTER picture, so here it is!  Nothing but fat - HOORAY!

2.4 cm Right Side AN