Author Topic: I just want to say......  (Read 3994 times)

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
I just want to say......
« on: May 05, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »
You all are an amazing group of people.  I was just diagnosed last week and wiil have surgery on Friday, so I'm new here.  Nonetheless, so many of you came to my aid so quickly--and answered any questions I had.  I've searched through the archives and see the special bond that is here.  I'll admit--I didn't want to be part of this group (no offense :D) but, I'm so glad I found you!  I pray for all of you and hope you will for me too.  Please pray for my son, Jordan(21 mos).  He has life-threatening food allergies and I am terrified to leave him. Please pray for my family---this is so hard on them.

Anyway, thanks again!  I've only been here a short time, but you've been a world of help to me.

Most Sincerely,
Nicole
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: I just want to say......
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:49:48 pm »
Nicole -

Truth be told, no one really wants to be part of this group, but there are worse things in life.  You may be so glad you found us, but I think I can speak for the others here when I say we are equally glad we found you.  It's nice to hear that we have helped you in your AN journey; IMO that's one of the primary reasons this forum exists. 

I am confident everything will turn out fine for you on Friday, and you and your family are definitely in my prayers.

I'm looking forward to you achieving "postie" status  :)

Jan 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:11:59 pm »
Nicole~
I will definitely be praying for you and for Jordan's care while you are away having surgery.  I sure he will be in capable and CAREFUL hands while you are away...

Peace to you,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cmp

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 07:11:37 am »
Best of luck, Nicole--I will certainly keep you and Jordan in my thoughts! Since you're being operated on so soon after diagnosis, I can imagine how stressful the past two weeks have been for you and your family. I'm so glad you found this forum and have found it a helpful and responsive resource.

I had the same experience, 20 years ago, of a rush from diagnosis to surgery (3 weeks), with a small child in the mix, which makes it almost impossible to mentally process all that's going on. Hopefully having answers to some of your questions is helping you stay calmer and more grounded, as well as knowing that there will be folks to support you (and ask more questions of!) during your recovery.

Like Kaybo, I'm sure your son will be very well-cared for in your absence, so please try not to worry!

Looking forward to hearing a good report from you soon!

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 08:51:46 am »
Have a good surgery, Nicole. It will work out in the end, you'll see. Try to sit back and let it all unfold. It will be a bumpy first week, but then you will be a postie, and things will get back to normal more and more each day. Jordan will keep you motivated through it all. ANs can put up a good fight, but we win the battle in the end.

Best wishes to you both,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

calimama

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 09:05:36 am »
I hope that all goes well and you will be quickly back to good health with your little one.

Think positive!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 12:07:02 pm »
Hi, Nicole:

Please allow me to add my wishes for a successful surgery on Friday.  I'm sure your little boy will be fine in your enforced absence and you'll be home again before you know it. I'll look forward to seeing your first post-op message.

That you believe this forum has helped you justifies it's existence, Nicole.  We understand the fears, concerns and stresses an acoustic neuroma brings and we all try to help other AN patients in whatever small way we can.  Words do mean something and today, your words of praise are very much appreciated - by many.   That being the case, allow me to thank you:)

Jim
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:49:04 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 02:01:40 pm »
Nicole - wow that came up fast didn't it?

Try to take a day to yourself to just relax and enjoy yourself with your family.  I am sure your son wil be in good hands while you're away and he'll be thrilled to see you when you get home.  That will make you want to get better!

I'll be thinking of you and your family and sending my prayers your way.  Can't wait to hear from you when it's all done!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 09:30:06 am »
Nicole-

I ditto what everyone else has said.  Take a few moments in the next couple of days to just be still and tranquil and quiet. I did lots of yoga before surgery just to calm myself - I think it helped. 

I'd tell you not to be scared, but that is pretty pointless advice - it's normal to be scared, heck, it's brain surgery! 

Just know that we'll all be here waiting for you.  If you can have someone post to update us, that woudl be great - either way we'll be thinking of you and praying for you!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 10:46:18 am »
Hi Nichole

That was fast.  Maybe that's a good thing.  In any respect, my prayers and best wishes are with you.  Get some rest and think "postie."

And please do have someone let us know about your successful surgery.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 02:22:25 pm »
Nicole-

All my best wishes and prayers for a successful surgery tomorrow.  I know that you are probably feeling nervous, scared, etc - and probaby just as anxious as I was to get it behind you. We will all be thinking of you and sending prayers tomorrow. 

Be well.

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 08:47:24 pm »
Nicole -

good luck with your surgery tomorrow.

You're in my thoughts and my prayers.

See you as a postie,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 05:41:49 am »
Hi Everyone,

I am Nicole's Mom and she asked that I give you an update on her surgery and progress.  As most of you know, Nicole is a very recent visitor to this site but she found it to be very helpful and supportive in her days before surgery.

Nicole's first symptoms dated back to December of 2006 but she was reluctant to have a contrast MRI because she was nursing her baby. In hindsight, other symptoms began slowly emerging but we did not make the connection.  Long story short, she was diagnosed with a 2.5cm acoustic neuroma in late April.

Her ENT referred who to Dr. Green (the director of the Jacksonville, Fl. Healring and Balance Insititute.) He and the neurosurgeion that he referred us to (Dr. Howard Chandler jr. at Baptist Medical Center), both have impressive resumes. Dr. Green having been at the Mayo in Rochester and the Mayo in Jacksonville prior to leaving to for The Hearing and Balance Institute.

Dr. Chandler only works with Dr, Geen on this procedure. He is also part of the Gamma Knife Team at Baptist.   Both Dr's. thought Nicole's best option was surgery.  Due to their schedule's, surgery could occur on May 9th or not until late June.  Of course, they told her it the decision on timing was hers to make.

We felt comfortable with them both and decided to proceed with the earlier date.  I am so happy to tell you that the surgery went well . She was in from 7:30 a.m. until going to recovery around 6:00 p.m. on Friday.  Her facial muscles were preserved even though those nerves were definitley attached to the tumor.  They believe they were able to remove all of the tumor but that will be confirmed by another MRI being done today.  She is still in ICU and as to be expected has pain and some nausea.

today being Mother's Day, I can only say that I am so grateful to everyone for all of the support and prayers that were offered for Nicole from this group as well as her huge network of friends and co-workers.

She is well and looks just amazing for having undergone such an intense and lengthy procedure.

Again, Thanks to all

Beverly (Nicole's very grateful Mom)
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 05:47:30 am »
Hi Beverly and thank you!!  First off.... a VERY Happy Mother's Day to you!!!!!!!!!  This is a good day, knowing Nicole is on the road to wellness...... and that the procedure is done and now just time to get her back on her feet.  Thanks for sharing the backround info as it helps give us better insight into her "AN Journey".... and are most grateful!

Please give Nicole my "healing huggles" (I'm sure she has seen them given out around these parts!) and tell her congrats for being a "postie" (I bet she'll love knowing she is one now!) and most of all, please tell her onward and upward to wellness.

Please remember to take some time for yourself today.  Know I'm cheering you on as well... and this is, indeed, a very special mother's day for you!  Your daughter is on the road to wellness!

Thank you again!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 07:07:54 am »
HI Beverly-

Thank you SO much for posting - I've been thinking of her all weekend, wondering how she is doing.  I am so glad the srugery went well and that she is recoving well.

Please tell her that Debbi from NJ says - "Atta Girl, Bravo!"  As a very recent postie myself, I know that the next few days will be uncomfortable, but do tell her that each day gets better.  Beign surrounded by those you love helps immeasurably.

Give Niclole lots of gentle hugs from all of her friends on the forum.

And, give yourself some hugs, too - you are a champ!

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN