Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 83416 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2008, 02:33:35 pm »
Pooter -

so glad you've surfaced and you're doing well!  I was getting a little worried about you  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2008, 03:02:26 pm »
Hey Brian:

Good to see you back, even if only to 'pop in' and let us know you're doing O.K.  Now, 'don't be a stranger'.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cmp

« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2008, 05:42:05 pm »
I've totally missed this thread up till now (first time I scrolled down this far on the home page, I guess!), and just wanted to say how glad I am that you came safely and successfully through your surgery, Pooter, and are recovering so nicely! That's just grand!
 :)

Hope every day finds you a little stronger (and steadier!)

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

LADavid

« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2008, 12:33:31 am »
Hey Brian
How's the guitar playing in the postie world?  Good to see you back.  BTW, you have a very cool wife.  She was really great during your surgery.  Ya got a good thing going.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2008, 05:45:44 am »
*runs in, gives Brian a BIG ole' healing huggle.... goes over to Jenni, gives a major supportive huggle, runs back out to head to work* :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2008, 06:15:21 am »
OK...so maybe I feel a tad sorry for myself b/c there is no support group here or I never get to go to the fun brunches, BUT I get to meet up with Pooter and Jenni in Houston this weekend...(if it all works out)
 ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2008, 08:59:21 am »
K -

that is SO cool  8)

Take pictures for your blog.

Thanks,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2008, 11:00:13 pm »
Well I have my first follow up tomorrow. Hopefully i will get these stiches out. Sleeping on one side still sucks.  ;) Thanks to all who have kept me and Jenni in line. I am still slow on my right but the whole tumor is gone (what they tell me anyhow)!!  I still lurk and still sleep a lot but notice my strength is getting more and more. I dont regret the surgery at all!!  Thanks again to all. I hope it all works out kaybo.  Peace y'all!!  Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2008, 11:03:08 pm »
Brian -

I'm almost 1 year post op and I don't regret my surgery either.  It's a great feeling not to regret or to second-guess yourself, isn't it?

Glad being a postie is going well for you.

Jan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2008, 02:14:32 pm »
Brian:

Glad to learn that you're recuperating nicely and feel good about your surgery.  I'm sure you'll be back at full strength in no time. 

Unfortunately, sleeping on one side may be necessary for awhile.  I couldn't sleep on my left side (my 'surgery side') for many months following my AN surgery, because the incision and, more importantly, the skull was healing and sensitive to pressure.  I finally got a softer pillow, which helped.  After about a year, the healing was finished and now I have no problem lying on my 'AN side'...I even have my firmer pillow back. 

I hope the stitches come out on schedule and without drama.  Hang in there.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2008, 07:58:14 pm »
After 15 months, I still have trouble sleeping on my AN side.  I can for a little while, then it gets uncomfortable.  The softer pillow helps though.

And on the bright side, when sleeping on my good side, I don't hear a thing!!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2008, 11:56:07 am »
Hello Pooter,

So glad  you are doing well and that everything is okay.  Yes, I agree - no drama.  That's the important thing.  That only works in  movies.  Real life doesn't need any more drama than we normally deal with in the course of the day. 

As for the decision making....it's hard!  That's the hardest thing I think about all of this is making sure of your decision to whatever treatment (if that's an option, of course) and then hoping and praying that you don't regret whatever it is that you did.  It's not like painting a room and getting the color wrong.  You can sure do that over again. But not this.  It's such a relief when it's all over with and you think - well, that turned out okay and boy I'm happy with the way it's turned out.  But, heavens,  getting to that point can be traumatic!  At least it can be for me! 

So happy it's all working out in your favor, Pooter!  Yay!!

Cheers from Vancouver, USA

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2008, 01:10:57 pm »
So grab your glass, mate
and raise a toastie!
Our scallywag, Pooter,
is now a Postie!

Congratulations on putting the Mack Truck astern!  The smooth patch of ocean awaits!  We got your innertube ready over on the GM thread! Blender sports for all!  (Except for yours truly who's the designated driver.)

Love Ya!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

kimberly

« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2008, 06:04:10 am »
Hey Pooter -

Just inquiring on how you are doing?  Is the recovery going well?

Kimberly

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2008, 06:49:34 am »
Yes, Scallywag Pooter, update us please  :)

Jan