Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 83426 times)

Kaybo

Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2008, 06:57:56 am »
I did not get to meet with Pooter & Jenni (too tired Friday and then too many graduation activities expected to be at), but I did talk to him on the phone.  He sounded good and had a good Dr.'s appointment...Hope we can catch up to them next time!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2008, 10:29:10 pm »
I am doing okay.  I read the threads almost every day even if I don't post. I still have a weak right side but it is gaining some strength each day.  Stiches are gone....YEA!!!!  i still battle fatigue each day. Like today. I slept a lot.  I have a lot planned this weekend (a birthday party saturday night, and a concert sunday night) so we'll see how it is Monday. I still have some balance issues and I am slower than I wanna be but much to be expected.   Overall, I am doing well..

I didn't get hooked up with Kaybo, perhaps next time...

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2008, 10:40:29 pm »
Pooter -

If you're reading the threads, I'm sure you know the pirates have been looking for you - something about needing wind in their sails  ;)

Glad to hear the stitches are gone.  The fatigue is very normal and takes a while to overcome, but you'll get there.  The balance issues should get better in time - the body usually adapts sooner or later.  Did your doc give you vestibular exercises to do?  I found they helped my balance a lot.  My doc also offered to send me to physical therapy if I felt I needed it.  Give it some time, but if things don't improve the way you think they should, you might want to ask your doc about PT.

Don't overdo it this weekend; get some rest,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2008, 04:46:18 pm »
Hey Brian
I just started vestibular training several weeks ago.  My surgery was in December, I was doing balance exercises the hospital gave me, but I was going no where.  The Physical Therapist helped me realize that the exercises that I was doing were generic and not right for me.  I'm starting to see some changes now.  I believe that if I had seen a PT about six months ago, I would be fine today and I wouldn't have developed synkinesis in my face.
Give it a few weeks, then I would look into a PT.
By the way, from what I recall, I slept through December.

Best wishes
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2008, 05:50:42 pm »
Hey, Brian!

Glad to hear from you - and glad you are continuing to recover well.  As everyone else has already say - just don't overdo it! 

As for fatigue - for me, that has been the hardest thing to anticipate.  I literally set out to do something feeling like I have all the energy in the world - then, suddenly my body just decides that it's had enough and .. Wham!  I have to rest.  I am still having a hard time gauging how much I can do, and consequently tend to overdo fairly often.  Fortunately, I am able to take frequent naps, which is a big help.  Of course, my little setback last week hasn't exaclty helped on the fatigue front - I think the heavy doses of antibiotics are also making me tired.  However, I feel better each day!

I can't believe you are going to a concert - I'm impressed!  Have a fun weekend, Brian and say hi to Jenni for us all!

Debbi - plugged in to my IV again...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2008, 12:52:02 pm »
I hope you are going to a Buffett concert! What with all the coconut bras being distributed over on the PBW!

Hey, do you have a treadmill?
I found it to be the absolute best balance retraining device on the planet. Walking slow and doing head turns and focusing your eyes on different objects in the room--you also have the grab rails at first and then as you get less wonky, you can begin letting go.  You can also walk sideways and back wards on the thing.  I made up a whole 45 routine I'd do when I felt well enough to go to the gym. Folks looked at me sort of strange, but I thought it was the boots and cutlass and all.

Anyhow have a great weekend. Poot us up some wind!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2008, 07:36:17 am »
Capt Deb,
You've got to try Wii Fitness, it rocks!  I think I may actally be able to walk a semi straight line and and not fall over!!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2008, 09:33:49 am »
Ok, minor setback...I still went to the concert (3rd row pit tix bought before the AN was known had something to do with that), but the incision started swelling a little bit.  I emailed a pic to the doc and Jenni talked to him and he seems to think that it could be CSF under the skin.  Its not leaking anywhere else so that is good.  For now, I have a homemade bonnet made of gauze and ace bandage.  We will see how that goes and watch it.  I have another follow-up 6/12 to check progress, etc..

Has anyone had a CSF leak under the skin?  Did the pressure bandage at home help?  Or, did you have surgery to fix the leak?  Any experience would be helpful..

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Kaybo

« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2008, 11:18:49 am »
Oh no, Brian.  So sorry...I will keep that in my prayers.   :o

BTW, what was the concert?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2008, 01:24:07 pm »
Sorry, Brian, I have no experience with CSF leaks - under the skin or otherwise.  But I'm hoping that everything works out okay for you and that this minor setback is just a small bump in the road to recovery.

BTW your "homemade bonnet" sounds quite interesting.  Don't forget about the photo contest.  Post a picture for us - but only if you feel comfortable with that.  No pressure  :)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2008, 02:00:01 pm »
Heh, I didnt get a pic of the first one so perhaps I will get a pic of this one.  The concert was Tim McGraw and Jenni will never wash her hand again..  ;)

Hopefully the homemade bonnet will do the trick.  I have been tired and not so hungry today but that can be attributed to being busy the last few days also and not sleeping well last night becuz of the bonnet...  I will update when I know more.

Brian

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2008, 04:39:39 pm »
HI Brian-

Sounds a little like what I went through  a few weeks ago, atlhough mine was not a CSF leak.  Not to be gross, but is there any drainage from the incision?  Are you running a fever at all?  As you probably know from reading my posts, mine turned out to be an infection - I emailed pics to the neurotologist over the course of several days, as well as phone and email discussion.

Please keep us posted on this - I hope that it turns out to be something simple - not CSF or an infection!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2008, 09:44:21 pm »
I dunno what it is to be honest.  Just around the incision its getting "puffy".  The doc seems to think it is a CSF leak under the skin since it isnt leaking anywhere else.  I am not running a fever or anything.  My AN side is getting stronger and I am getting some movement back on that side.  I suppose for now we will keep the homemade pressure bonnet on and see where that goes.  Jenni is tired of worrying about me (she is sleeping on the couch currently).  I just wanna get back to "normal" and get back to life.  I see some progress (except the puffyness around the incision site) but its not fast enuff for me.  I slept alot today, but its been a busy few nights for me.  I will update more later and I will try to get a pic up soon.  :)

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2008, 09:50:04 pm »
Pooter -

regarding your anxiousness (is that a real word?) to get back to normal - I can tell you that it's a common feeling post op and I can relate to it 100%.

All I can say is have patience.  I know that's not easy - patience is not something I normally have - but it's necessary.

Focus on the progress you've made so far; it will make you feel better  :)  Recovery can be a long road, but you are well on your way.

Jan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2008, 10:25:13 pm »
Brian:

Its no surprise that Jan gives you some good advice. 

I was also very impatient about getting back to normalcy following my surgery...so I did.  However, two years later, I'm far better than I was a few weeks post-op, even though I was functioning fairly well by then.  Time heals and...believe it or not...flies.  Honest.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.