Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 83423 times)

lori67

Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #300 on: July 01, 2008, 08:05:23 am »
Brian -

Sorry I got in on this thread a little late, but I hope all is well and they've figured out what is causing your fevers/headaches.

I know once they figure that out and fix it, you'll be well on your way to recovery again.  Another one of those "bumps in the road".  Don't let it discourage you - we all seem to have had some bumps, but we come out okay in the end.  You will too.  Hang in there.

And I think you're right - you're having fun all wrong!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sammict

« Reply #301 on: July 01, 2008, 08:18:21 am »
Brian
I was sorry to hear about your set back I'm sure the doctors will get to the bottom of everything and you will be good as new soon.

I will be thinking of you and your family good luck with the tap.

Sam

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #302 on: July 01, 2008, 08:47:01 am »
Hey Brian-

I am so sorry to hear about this latest bump in the road - and I can SO relate to the frustration you are feeling.  I really hope the docs get to the bottom of it - and fast.  An infection of any sort is nothing to mess around with.  And, surely, all the symptoms you are having indicate that something is amiss.

I wish I could send you a big warm blanket of comfort right now.  Instead, I'll have to settle for sending you lots of prayers and good thoughts.  Please keep us updated - and tell Jenni to give you and extra hug (give her one,too - I am sure she is very worried.)

Debbi - sending all my energy your way
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #303 on: July 01, 2008, 02:03:04 pm »
Brian~
Just wondering how today went & if you knew anything yet...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #304 on: July 01, 2008, 02:37:15 pm »
Brian -

not to rush you, but I was wondering too.

Hope things went well.  I've been thinking about you  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #305 on: July 01, 2008, 06:37:11 pm »
Brian,
Just checking in to see how things went today and how you are feeling.  Looking forward to your post updating us And hope you are feeling better.

Best wishes
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #306 on: July 01, 2008, 06:56:38 pm »
Hello all. This is Jenni. Brian is sleeping (and laying flat for 12 hours as instructed). We don't know the results of the test yet, but hope to find out sometime tomorrow. It is very frustrating to now know what is going on and what is causing him to become so weak and sweaty all of the time. He is just so miserable and it is evident with every glimpse of his face. I only hope this test gives us some answers and we can get him on the road to recovery soon again. Thank you all for your support during this difficult time. Sometimes I feel as if I am not a good support to him and that I drive him crazy with asking how he is all  the time, but it is so scary to me and I just want him to get better. I'm ready to fatten my boy up again (since he has now lost 25 lbs) and start planning some weekend away... me, him, no hospitals!!! I will keep you all updated as I get more information.
Love,
Jenni
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #307 on: July 01, 2008, 08:14:30 pm »
Jenni -

thanks for posting.  I'm glad to hear that Brian is sleeping; I can't imagine the spinal tab was too pleasant  :(

This has got to be so frustrating for both of you.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you guys find out very soon what Brian's problem is, so the docs can work on solving it.  I'm glad you have each other to lean on.  You've got us, too  :)

A weekend away would do you both a world of good.  I hope you are able to plan something soon.  Keep the faith.

Love,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #308 on: July 02, 2008, 09:55:23 am »
Jenni-

thanks for posting and letting us know how Brian's doing.  I am keeping him (and you) in my prayers.  Let us know what you find out - and don't let the doctors string you out over the weekend!

Debbi, keeping everything crossed
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #309 on: July 02, 2008, 03:05:18 pm »
Jenni~
I thought I posted last night but I was so tired, maybe I just THOUGHT about what I wanted to write!  Thanks for updating us - I so hope that this shows some answers so that you can treat whatever and get on with your life!!  Wonder if you have heard anything yet??  Y'all are definitely in my prayers.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #310 on: July 02, 2008, 09:15:42 pm »
Jenni -
Thanks for updating us on Brian.  As  you can tell, we are all very concerned for him.  I hope the spinal tap give you all some answers and the doc can figure out what is wrong and treat it and soon have Briian back on the mend.   I'm sure this is hard on you too and I echo what Jan  said.  A weekend away for the two of you would probably do you both a wolrld of good.  Please keep us posted.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #311 on: July 02, 2008, 09:33:33 pm »
Jenni -  hope you're both hanging in there. This has to be tough on both of you.

Just keep thinking of that well deserved weekend away.  That definitely sounds like something to look forward to.

Let Brian know we're thinking about him.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #312 on: July 02, 2008, 10:24:32 pm »
Well, we don't really know anything more, but we are closer to getting some answers. Brian was admitted back into the hospital today due to the doctor finding some white blood cells in his spinal fluid. They mentioned that it could be bacterial meningitis, but they did not have enough evidence at this point to say that it is OR to rule it out. Apparently, there are different types of white blood cells and the type of white blood cells he apparently has a really high count of indicate that there is something to do with an allergy and not bacterial meningitis. In other words, they are looking into the possibility that he had an allergic reaction to something and that eventually led to an infection. He went on the new medication on June 13th (Friday the 13th) and it was around the 16th that he started feeling really run down. We thought he was tired from going back to work part time, but looking back, I wonder if he was having an allergic reaction to the medicine and we just didn't know it. The fever did not show up until last Thursday night, but then again, infections don't begin immediately. Brian's surgeon and the infectious disease doctor are planning on letting his culture "grow" for a couple of days and see if that gives them any more answers. They also took more blood from him tonight to try and piece together the puzzle as well. For now, he is resting and hooked up to an IV with a couple of antibiotics. I will update as I know more information. Keep the prayers coming!
Love,
Jenni
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #313 on: July 02, 2008, 11:00:09 pm »
Jenni -

thanks for the new update.  It's so nice of you to think of us with all that you have on your plate right now. 

It sounds like they may be closer to solving Brian's mystery symptoms.  I certainly hope the antibiotics do the trick.

Keeping you both in my prayers.  Tell Brian we're all thinking about him and wishing him the best.

God Bless,

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #314 on: July 03, 2008, 06:53:07 am »
Jennii-
On one hand I'm sorry to hear Brian is back in the hospital, on the other if that's what it takes to get him better then I guess he's where he needs to be for now.  I am leaving for vacation tonight and am not briinging my laptop with me so I will be out of touch for two weeks.  Please know that you and Brian will be in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope the docs discover the problem quickly and that he is soon back on the mend.

Best wishes,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!