Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 83407 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #345 on: July 05, 2008, 04:10:04 pm »
Brian:

I trust that by the time you read this you'll be home.  I just hope your wish for resumed healing is granted and that you'll be done with these set-backs.  Enough already!

Not sure I'll be at this year's symposium but if I am, I won't be buying unless I get a moderator raise, which I doubt will happen.  Besides, I'll probably be disguised as Steve, so you can blame him for being cheap.  :)

See  you when we see you.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #346 on: July 05, 2008, 05:51:27 pm »
Brian,
I had about two minutes to check uyp on you from my brother's house.  Two people are on line waiting to use the computer so I'll be quick.  I'm so glad to hear you are doing better and iwll soon be getting out of there, from th sounds of it piccless -- thankj  goodness.  I'll check back when I can.  People are chomping at the bit to use the computer.

Wishing you alkl good things,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #347 on: July 05, 2008, 05:56:31 pm »
Cheers, Brian!  Welcome home!!!!!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Tamara

« Reply #348 on: July 05, 2008, 06:12:14 pm »
Maybe you and Jenni can shoot off some fireworks in your driveway or backyard - better than nothing.  Yes, it's illegal here too, but everyone does it anyway...

Glad you're home, and hope it's much smoother sailing from here on in...one heck of a ship, ain't it?

Still stapled and dry-headed in Wisconsin,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #349 on: July 05, 2008, 09:52:18 pm »
Isn't Jim buying at the symposium this next time?  Or is it someone else's turn?  ;)

Actually it's Steve (he of the hat knitting) who's buying @ the Symposium. 

But tell you what, Brian, if you and Jenni show up I'll buy you both one  :D

Thrilled to hear they kicked your a** out of that hospital bed today.

Best wishes for a continued recovery  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #350 on: July 06, 2008, 08:17:28 am »
Brian-

Wendy says welcome home, too! She's celebrating your early release on the beach...or waiting in line for the computer, one or the other. 

Cheers!

Debbi - (posting pictures like crazy - blame Jan for showing me the ropes...)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #351 on: July 06, 2008, 08:58:58 am »
Brain & Jenni,

I have been off the forum for a while… (you would not believe how much stuff we are getting done around the house as a result!  :D)

…Gee whiz I missed all the excitement. I regret not being on as I would have pointed out the Diamox issue and its side effects.

Oy ya ya – what a trip. (Spinal tap- to boot  :o)

Brian wrote

"I then need to contact my doctor for a replacement for the diamox to reduce the swelling since it's somewhat back up now that I'm off the med."

I am guessing you have been taken off this abruptly instead of weaned slowly. If you show any coordination issues or if the leaks return be sure to contact the doctor immediately. The abrupt wean can cause leaks again – as it did with me. I too remember being cold and constantly requesting heat bags and blankets. The Diamox works on the kidneys so it can have your system go all over the place. Be sure to have the “pee in a cup� test done at your next doctor visit to make sure you kidneys returned to normal. Potassium and sodium levels can go all over the place -on that nasty drug.

Jenni wrote

"I'm ready to fatten my boy up again (since he has now lost 25 lbs)..."

The Diamox kills the appetite not to mention has you pee all the good calories out.  :-\ I went down to 112lbs (I am just over 5’3â€?) … and it was getting scary as I was becoming so weak. I remember those days well. (Although I would like to forget)

My neighbour (a retired dietician technician) declared,
“My goodness you are a rack of bones!"
...and returned with grocery bags of ensure, boost, etc. as she was determined to fatten me up and get color back into my face. Buy some Carnation Instant Breakfast (cheaper than boost or ensure but same nutritional value) and mix it with milk to keep the calorie intake up. Try to get more protein into you- Brian.

Keep walking and keep eating. Healing will happen.

Hang in there!

Daisy Head Mazy

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Cheryl R

« Reply #352 on: July 06, 2008, 09:26:49 am »
DO either of you have sulfa allergy?          I had looked up the Diamox in my drug book but don't remember it saying that is is a sulfa type drug.       I just Googled it and came across that.       I took Diamox after my first surgery just while in the hospital with no problem.     There was no taper off of it.                   Both of my daughters had a sulfa reaction as children so are considered allerigic now.                              I have never seen any other type of diuretic where can not just quit taking it.                                   
                                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

wendysig

« Reply #353 on: July 06, 2008, 09:02:29 pm »
Brian,
Glad to hear you are home!  Even dthough you've really been through the wringer, I was glad to hear your illness was caused by an allergic reaction rather than infection!  I know it's been H@*!! but hopefully it's over!  I hopeteh rest of your recovery goes much more smoothly.

Best wishes to you, Jenni and your kids!
Wendy - Celebrating your homecoming down in sunny Florida

Debbi -  Hope all is well with you -- thanks for passing my message on to Brian the other day!
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #354 on: July 07, 2008, 09:11:57 am »
Brian -
Glad to hear you are home!  I hope you and Jenni enjoy the rest of the weekend and the rest of your recovery goes a lot more smoothly.  I realllyh hope this is the last of setbacks you will experience.  These ANs seem to like continue testing people even after they are gone.  You seem to have passed with flying colors!!

Best wishes,

Wendy

Debbi -
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cindyj

« Reply #355 on: July 07, 2008, 04:58:18 pm »
Glad to see you're home, Brian.  Hope you get to stay there and your healing stays in forward motion this time!  You've certainly been through enough...understatement, I know...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #356 on: July 07, 2008, 05:27:25 pm »
Hello all!  It's true, I'm home now.  Feeling MUCH better now.  I somewhat abuptly went off the Diamox last week when I didn't take it anymore (especially when they suspected a reaction to it) and I've suffered no ill affects from being off it so abuptly.  I've slept alot since being home, but that's to be expected I guess.  When I'm still, I kinda feel nornal again.  It's when I get up and start moving around that I feel still odd a bit.  Again, that is to be expected I guess.  It's getting better.  No fever.  No coldness.  No headaches.  Yea!  I have a follow-up with my doctor on 7/21 at which time we'll talk about the need to go on something other than the diamox again.  So far, the swelling is back up a bit, but no headaches with it so..I'm not sure what to think of that.

As I told Jenni, I didn't know really how bad I felt until I started feeling better.  I tried to convince myself that I felt just a little bad, in reality I felt like smeg.  I've definitely been through the wringer on this one, and I am axious to get back to healing and getting stronger again.  I've put on at least 5 lbs since being off the diamox so I think that was holding me back somewhat.

Thanks for the well-wishes and for keeping me company while in the hospital.  I didn't want to be stuck in there until today waiting only on a follow-up tap when I felt so good.  Back to healing now.  I'll try to go back part time again to work later this week and see how that goes..

Jan, deal!  I'm gonna see if we can make the symposium this next summer.  Hopefully, I'll be comepletely "normal" by then.  We're easy drinkers, btw.  MillerLite for both us us!  :)  There is life post-op!  For now, I need to get better so that I can go camping with my daughter this year!  We go to camp in September along with camping at least 5 more times this year!  I have to be better; being Chief and all!  They're waiting on me to go camping this summer before camp! Woo Woo!

Thanks again, all!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Boppie

« Reply #357 on: July 07, 2008, 06:27:16 pm »
Go slow, Brian, go slow, go slow!  Walking sessions should increase in increments of minutes, not hours.  Eat good protein. Smell the flowers, look at nature, enjoy more time away from the computer.  No partying! ;D 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #358 on: July 07, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »
*runs in, give my Pooter a BIG HEALING HUGGLE....... runs back out!*  

(missed me, eh? :) )
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #359 on: July 07, 2008, 10:23:18 pm »
Pooter -

you're on.  Two Miller Lites in August 2009, in Chicago  :D

Make sure you hold me to that  ;)

Cheers!

Jan

BTW, glad to see you back on the road to recovery.  Hope this road is a short one  :)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways