Author Topic: flying after AN surgery  (Read 5473 times)

MCE

flying after AN surgery
« on: November 25, 2005, 12:37:25 pm »
Hi all,

Newbie here.  I've been diagnosed with a 2cm AN on the left side.  I'm scheduled to have it surgically removed on 1/4/06, by Dr. Jacques Herzog in St. Louis.  My question is... Do any of you have any experience with Flying after surgery?  Do balance problems improve with time?  I've flown for a living since 1990, so I think I'll be looking for a new career.  Thanks!

David707

Re: flying after AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 12:53:21 pm »
Hi,

I had my 2.5 cm NA reomved in Jan'05.  I had my 1st oversea trip after surgery to Asia in March 05.  two more simlar trips since then.  For my case, flying itself has not been an issue at all.  For my first one, the company I works for was really concerned.  I consulted with my doctor twice and got a written approval before I went.

I do think flying should not be an issue after the surgery.  However, it could be different from one case to the other.  You would wnat to check with your own doctor.  Good luck.

David(707) 
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

nannettesea

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 02:25:44 pm »
My doc said wait a month to fly--others have said 2-3 weeks.  I waited a month, no problems.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

debora

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 04:37:55 pm »
Nan,

I can't remember, are you one of the persons  with balance issues.  I am and I'm afraid the Vertigo will kick in with the motion of the plane which is a bummer because you can't get off.  I don't want to be totally incompacitated and ill in front of everyone.  This is a huge concern for me, I am not supposed to take Meclizine or any other motion sickness med again.  Can anyone else with balance problems tell me how flying, or even a cruise affected them?  I would appreciate any and all replys. 
Deb

vcschaub

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 08:06:26 am »
My surgery was on November 8th, in Los Angeles and I flew home on the 17th (all the way back to Florida). I had no problems but was told to stay awake during elevation changes and chew gum during take off and landing. My dry eye was more sensitive because of the extreme dry air on planes, but I kept putting drops in. The doctors at House prefer that you fly if you are facing a long drive home.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 08:56:11 pm »
 Hi, I too had surgery at House Ear Clinic on July 26, 2005 and flew home on August 5, 2005. I had no problems. My ears popped a little as the plane started to climb but that was it. I wish you the best, Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Jessie127

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 09:56:03 pm »
Hello,

I also had a 1.7cm removed at House Ear Institue on August 23 this year and the doctors there just ask you to stay in the LA area a week after surgery and I flew back to Florida on September 7.  They prefer flying than driving so many hours so we took the red eye flight and i pretty much was able to sleep the whole trip and chew on gum while I was awake..you need to be chewing on gum or something because you are not suppose to pop your ears.....my balance little by little has become a lot better....Hope everything goes well..Take care....Jessica
Jessica - Age 28
August 23, 2005
House Ear Clinic - middle fossa approach - 1.2cm
Dr. De La Cruz and Dr. Hitselberger

nannettesea

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 07:43:41 pm »
Debora,
Yes, I'm the one with balance issues.  Flying didn't seem to make a difference at all, in terms of worsening or changing my recovery.  If you need the Meclyzine just to fly, I say "take it."  It's only temporary, not like it will inhibit recovery.  I'm now on the Scopalamine patch, alternating every other week.  Just couldn't live with such dizziness, having to work, etc.  My doc said it was a bad idea, but then suggested the every other week thing.  They are not the ones living with balance problems!
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

MCE

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 10:04:25 am »
Thanks for the info everyone.  I'm schedule for surgery on 1/4/06 with Dr. Herzog & Dr. Polinski in St. Louis

kimmy

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 11:37:38 am »
Hi.  Has anyone done a 24 hour flight such as UK to Australia after AN surgery. Can you get travel insurance?  I'm hoping to do this in October 2006 and I think I'll have to ask for my surgeon's approval.  Be interested to hear your ideas about this.
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

David707

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 12:20:29 pm »
Kimmy,

One of my oversea flights after the surgery was a more than 24 hours trip with two stops/connections; i.e., Houston-Tokyo-Singapore-Indonesia.  Arriving at hotel in early morning and having a business meeting in late afternoon.  Tired, but OK.

I checked with my doctor twice before my 1st post-op oversea trip.  Please check with your doctor and see what he/she/they say.

Good luck.

David
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

SKT

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 09:31:02 pm »
Hi,

I've been told that flying after AN surgery is not an issue. I had AN surgery, translab for 3.3cm AN in Dec 03, I flew short distances many times in the year following surgery, and in the last 12 months I've flown long distance twice - South Australia to Fiji  and South Australia to Greece and France.  No problems.  I notified my travel insurance of my pre-existing AN and it did not affect my insurance.  However, different insurers may of course differ. 

Good luck.

SKT

Angela

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 01:41:42 pm »
Pre-op, I flew 16 hrs non-stop during my 2nd trimester of pregnancy and didn't know I had a big, fat tumor.  No problems.
6 months post-op, I took a 5 hr flight, again no problems.  I didn't think about until I had already boarded then I was afraid that my brain was going to convulse and my scar would burst or something horrendous!  Just in case, I chewed gum during descents and prayed alot.  :D
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

JHager

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 10:30:57 am »
Wow!  I am impressed!

Try as I might, I have never been able to fly.  Run fast and jump, leap off a building, tie myself to a kite - it never works!  ;D

So, for those of you who CAN fly - good on you!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

Jeanlea

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 06:07:53 pm »
Josh,

You should try wings.  Just don't fly to close to the sun.  lol  Thanks for the laugh.

How is it being back at school?

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD