Author Topic: strokes/seizures ?  (Read 2330 times)

satman

strokes/seizures ?
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:41:56 am »
I was recently told by a non medical person that he had heard that once your skull has been opened that your more prone for stokes and seizures,anybody know anything about this ?
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: strokes/seizures ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 04:20:42 am »
while they are poking around in your head... yes you are more prone ... when I went for 1 year check up -- I asked the doc just that .. "should I be more carefull about stokes --- does it mean I'm prone to have a stoke in the future?" He said no ....

Now having said that ... "I believe" that stoke I had during the AN surgery ..(at 40 years old) .. was a stoke that was building --- I bet if I never had the AN --- I would of had this stoke at 60 or something like that ...(my Uncle did - so I do have it in my family).  I I bet I could have another ... I would assume I'm starting to build another  :( ....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:00:52 am »
I was told that mine was "surgery induced" but nothing has ever been said about looking out for them in the future...even things, like birth control, that have a warning to women that have a history of strokes were OK for me to take...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:00:53 am »
Satman,

I was told by drs that there is a risk of stroke during surgery for AN, but middle fossa and retrosigmaid have higher risk because the brain has to be moved to get to the AN.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:32:25 am »
I think surgery and radiation inside the brain may increase the odds years later but considering that acoustics are outside the brain I just don't believe there is an elevated risk now or later over the general population.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 10:48:26 am »

I was told by drs that there is a risk of stroke during surgery for AN, but middle fossa and retrosigmaid have higher risk because the brain has to be moved to get to the AN.

I'm not doubting anything a doctor says - since I don't have the appropriate credentials - but I've never heard of this.  I know stroke is a risk of all AN surgeries, but I didn't know that one surgical approach or another changed the odds.

Actually I think risk of stroke is something that goes hand in hand with any surgery done under general anesthesia.

Sam Rush, Lori, anyone else with medical training, can you give us your thoughts on this?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

satman

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:24:59 am »
Thanks for the responses guys and gals,my face looks like i had a stoke anyway,ha,ha.
Gotta find humor on this journey somehow.
Guess I wont worry about that for a couple of years.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 11:34:37 am »
Jan,
  I've heard the same as Syl, that when some part of the brain is retracked (moved to the side with a specialized clamp), there is a small risk of stroke.  For retro-sigmoid, the cerebellum is retracked tpward the back of the head, and for middle fossa one of the upper hemisphere's is retracked up out of the way, to give a better view and access to the tumor.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 12:44:33 pm »
Because clogged or burst blood vessels are the cause of strokes, I'm quite skeptical of this apparent rumor that having your skull 'opened' can make you more susceptible to strokes or seizures.  It sounds like superstition to me.  However, I see my neurosurgeon next month (annual MRI) and I'll try to remember to ask him about this at that time.  I suspect that any possible danger of having a stroke/seizure  would be during the surgery, not after, but I intend to find out.  I'll keep you posted when I do.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:02:42 pm »
Jim -

asking your neurosurgeon would be great, since I'm still waiting on a "professional" opinion here (i.e. someone with medical training).

If I remember I'll ask my neurotologist in a few weeks when I see him.  He just loves me asking him all kinds of interesting questions  ;) 

In the meantime, maybe Sam or Lori will weigh in.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways