Author Topic: Sen. Edward Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor  (Read 5303 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Sen. Edward Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:21:56 am »
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16339284/detail.html

Regardless of what your political inclinations may be, this is hot off the press.  this is a man that helped me, due to my AN, bring the bloke into the country. A huge debt of gratitude from me to him is owed.....

confirmed that it is a malignant glioma

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/05/mass_general_sa.html

I thought I'd share this with you all... as we never know who becomes afflicted with these head boogers. I'll be phoning his office to extend my prayers and wishes to him (and his family).

Just FYI.....
Phyl

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 11:41:51 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Sen. Edward Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:02:57 pm »
Well, that's too bad.  I am sorry for Senator Kennedy and his family.   :'(

Sue in Vancouver, WA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 01:27:14 pm »
I'm so sorry to learn of this.   I'm sure millions of Americans will feel the same, regardless of any differences we might have had with Senator Kennedy's politics in the past.  My brother-in-law died (a few years ago) from brain cancer despite the very best treatment money could buy (Johns Hopkins, etc).  It is a vicious form of cancer.  This is truly a tragedy.  My prayers go out for Senator Kennedy and his family.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 03:19:25 pm »
Prayers to him and his family...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:40:14 pm »
Prayers from Canada.  The Kennedy legacy has always fascinated me. 

I did a major American history project on the family back in 1978.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 05:54:03 pm »
Local tv channels are only broadcasting "breaking news" of his updates. Currently, he is at Mass General (as many here know, he's in fab hands there!) and they are now talking FSR and chemo for him.  Unsure of the dynamics of his growth besides it being a glioma (size unknown).  Iain (the Bloke) and I are following closely and I've left a message to his office here in Boston sending our wishes.  He was there for us in our time of need... not even realizing my AN was his mode to help get Iain through the immigration nightmare we endured... and now, both of us sit here, wishing we could do something in return......

Jim, I'm with you on this and sorry to hear of your brother-in-law.  As many here know, I lost a sister to a malignant brain tumor.  We know Kennedy has access to nothing but the best and we send continued wishes and prayers to him and his family.

Really having a tough time with this.... in my/our case, too close to home..... knowing what he has done for us.. as well as a BT diagnosis, although his is worse situation than mine.   Really at a loss.

Phyl
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:00:02 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:29:20 am »
The Kennedy legacy has always fascinated me. 

Anne Marie

Me too! 
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:29:26 am »
It's too bad that the tv news stations can't discuss and go into the great detail about AN's as they have about Kennedys glioma.              Just think what proper information we could give to patients and doctors if it ever was.           Don't we wish!
                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:23:13 am »
Phyl,

I too am sad about this. Seeing McCain talk about him with his voice cracking made it obvious how highly he is thought of on both sides of the aisle. Ironically yesterday I watched coverage of this on TVs at the Radiation Oncology department at BNI while I was getting my preps done for the CK. I feel blessed my diagnosis was so very much better. I cannot imagine what he and his loved ones are dealing with. I am sure there are a lot of heartfelt thoughts and prayers for he and his family from across the nation.

I send you hugs Phyl!

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

jerseygirl

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 12:28:59 pm »
I am so sorry about Kennedy's diagnosis. I wish there is anything I can do but hope that a miracle occurs and the Senator beats the odds. I just read a chat transcript about the diagnosis. I believe our Phyl is in it! Here is the link:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/05/21/chat_transcript_dr_andrew_norden_answers_questions_about_brain_tumors/

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 12:40:55 pm »
dang, eve!  You found me! :)  yes, was an enlightening chat discussion (don't tell my boss, tho', as I was suppose to be doing financial spreadsheets).  The dr was kind enough to answer some really awesome questions.

The senator has been discharged and is now back at home. 

Phyl

jerseygirl

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 12:51:36 pm »
Phyl,

You ask some amazing questions!  What a great discussion there! By the way, I am not going to tell your boss but I have to warn you that this article made national news. That is where I found it!  ;D

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 06:22:43 am »
Sen . Kennedy is undergoing surgery at Duke today.
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 07:11:43 am »
I just read that on MSN.com

It also said that he'll do his post op chemo at Mass General.

Although I'm not fond of Senator Kennedy's politics, I wish him well and will keep him in my prayers today.

I hope they can remove the entire tumor and that with chemo he'll be able to live many more years.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 07:33:36 am »
I have my pirate sox on for Senator Kennedy and a few others today.  Good thoughts and prayers going out to all of these brave people.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT