Author Topic: What were your restrictions after surgery?  (Read 4582 times)

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
What were your restrictions after surgery?
« on: May 21, 2008, 07:27:36 am »
I'm doing very well post-op and I think the only things I can't do are drive and lift more than 10 lbs----and of course the usual "take it easy".  Is there anything else you were restricted from that I should maybe be aware of?
Thanks, Nicole
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Cheryl R

Re: What were your restrictions after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:39:46 am »
No straining or bending over.    No blowing the nose.                 Are your eyes doing better?     Don't be surprised if you find that you can still get tired once you are more active.       I am in the evening when have been on to go and I am 5 weeks tomorrow.
   I hope I did not scare you prior to your suirgery when I questioned if your surgeon was a good one.      Your having surgery so fast after diagnosis did concern me that the surgeon was not ione who did ANs frequently which is very important.
                                                  Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:20:38 am »
Thanks for the quick response!  No, you didn't scare me at all--those were all realistic concerns.  We were prepared to go to any city or state to get my surgery, but my whole family felt extremely comfortable with my team of surgeons and the experience they had.  I'm really happy I chose them, given my great result.  I just feel like I can do so much already, that I want to make sure not to over-do it.  He talked with me about the what to do-not to do's when I was leaving, but I was in a fog.  He also told me to call his office anytime.  He basically said I should never be left alone or try to care for my son, drive, lift anything, etc.

I was just curious if that was in line with others, or because I was doing rather well.   

Edited to add:  My eyes are sensitive to light, but not too bad.  I also have a bit of blurred  and double vision, but only occasionally and at certain angles--if that makes sense :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:24:32 am by Nicole222 »
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:33:12 am »
Hi, Nicole:

Surprisingly, there are few restrictions following AN surgery other than the ones you already know - driving, lifting, lots of rest.  That assumes the post-op patient has no complications, of course.  My surgeon was adamant about the lifting restriction and when I forgetfully attempted to life anything slightly heavy I felt it immediately at my incision site, so I learned to follow the restriction.  I'm fine now.  I was anxious to get my independence back so, two weeks after my surgery I asked my doctor if I could resume driving.  He was a bit cautious but because I had experienced an excellent recovery, he said O.K. - but to take it slow.  I did - for about 10 minutes.  Then, I was on the interstate.  Oh, I had a few minor issues with turning my head but no dizziness or other real problems.  I sincerely hope you'll have a similar post-op experience.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:38:23 am »
Nicole -

as Cheryl R said no bending at the waist for a period of time - maybe six weeks ? - they don't want your head to be below your knees.

In addition to not blowing my nose, I was told to sneeze with my mouth open for several weeks. 

There is also usually a restriction on flying in an airplane for about 4 weeks and swimming for about 6 weeks - something about the possibility of bacteria in the water, I think.

Not to be gross here, but my doc prescribed a stool softener for a few weeks because he didn't want me "straining" when I went  ::)  I'm sure you get the idea.  I know someone else mentioned this recently. 

Other than that there is the lifting and the driving.  I think that about covers it.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kimberly

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 01:39:54 pm »
Hi Nicole :)

Good to hear that you are doing so well.  My restrictions were about the same as yours.  No lifting over 10 pounds, no exercise except walking( to include swimming for 8 weeks).  Cough and sneeze with mouth open, no blowing nose.  No driving or taking long walks outside by myself for the first few weeks. 

Keep us posted on how you recovery is going!

Kimberly

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:09:19 pm »
Nicole~
They told me about the swimming b/c some people have the sensation that they are going UP for air when they are actually going DOWN -- swimming wa not a problem for me at all, but Dave watched me pretty close the 1st few times!  The bacteria in the water does make sense though!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:55:24 pm »
i had my surgery in Dec. the things i see mentioned here were all they told me too. Now i couldnt drive for 3 weeks and my balance was way off. i needed help for a week or 2 from the wifey just to walk down the hall. and showers were out due to not being able to get area wet or close my eye.

almost 6 months later my vision is only back in my distance prescription, that eye is real sensitive to light and allergins and dust since i cant blink.

face isnt un-paralyzed yet but exercises they gave me to do for it everyone seems to think is helping.

hang in there and let us know how you are doing.

It does get better with time.

10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:57:58 pm »

There is also usually a restriction on flying in an airplane for about 4 weeks Jan

House gives different directions.
Actually I flew after 12 days.  Because it is the inner ear, it is not affected like the middle ear.  As a matter of fact, if your travel is over three hours they prefer you fly (at House) to prevent blood clots.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 10:49:32 pm »

There is also usually a restriction on flying in an airplane for about 4 weeks Jan

House gives different directions.
Actually I flew after 12 days.  Because it is the inner ear, it is not affected like the middle ear.  As a matter of fact, if your travel is over three hours they prefer you fly (at House) to prevent blood clots.

Kate

Good point, Kate.  I think a lot of the restrictions differ from doctor to doctor.  I know that I couldn't lift heavy objects for a couple of weeks, but some patients (like Zeek) are told not to lift heavy objects for a much longer period of time.  So one doctor's rules might not be another's.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

satman

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 08:06:54 am »
Take everything slowly,dont try to rush anything,yet dont be overly cautious as thats when you can hurt yourself,sounds weird I know, but it's true.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 04:13:58 am »
Hi All,

If you can't blow your nose, how do you get the bugars out?

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

calimama

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 08:28:55 am »
HI Nicole and all,

I am thinking this no lifting will be a challenge with a little one (my daughter is 14.5 months and about 25lbs). She is also at the stage where she is madly in love with "mammy" and wants me to hold and carry her all the time. she clings to my leg and puts her arms up to me and says "mammy mammy"! It's going to be heartbreaking to not be able to pick her up, but i will have to be strong. I was thinking we can still cuddle though and I will ask others to pick her up for me and put her on me for close cuddle time.

Hopefully 4+ weeks the risks associtated with lifting subside and i can resume my upperbody workouts!   ;D

Glad to hear you are doing well Nicole. Keep on taking it easy!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 11:56:35 am »
Trish~
Definitely have someone put her up on your lap -- this will be good practice for when you are preggie again and can't always pick them up (may not be a problem, but may...).  I also got them in the habit of jumping up as I pick them up so it is not so much strain.  I didn't have this problem when I had my AN surgery b/c i didn't have kids, but I had a lot of trouble "staying" pregnant (4 miscarriages) and then the last 2 were only 19 months apart!  My 2nd one still jumps up as I lift her -- Like in a shopping cart - it is actually VERY helpful!   ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 01:13:47 pm »
If you can't blow your nose, how do you get the bugars out?

Syl -

not to be too gross, but you suck 'em down and spit 'em out  ::)

Jan