Author Topic: Eye problem  (Read 3493 times)

Jeanlea

Eye problem
« on: November 28, 2005, 06:34:28 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with their eye turning red?  I went to my eye doctor today and he thinks it is a bacterial infection and put me on a strong antibiotic that I take as a drop every hour while I'm awake.  I have to go back in two days.  He keeps asking me when my eye will blink.  I tell him it may take 6 months to a year from the date of my surgery.  I don't think he has any experience dealing with somone who has facial paralysis from an AN.  I would appreciate hearing if anyone else had a similar problem.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

russ

Re: Eye problem
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 11:52:22 pm »
Hi Jeanla
  I hope you are seeing an Opthamologist, preferably a Neuropthamologist, NOT, an Optometrist. Which ever, you need someone who knows about AN and 5th nerve disorders.
  The red eye must be irritated by lack of tears or lubricant. I think the red is called 'injection'. Try not to rub, ok? Use copius drops with glycerin and as much w/o preservatives as you can with Lacrilube at night if necessary. Can you close the lid ok at night?
  Russ ( No Dr but think this is the usual course )

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 07:14:48 pm »
Russ,

Thanks for your advice.  I saw two ophthalmogists today.  My regular one was going on vacation at 8:30.  I saw him at 8:00 and he send me to another ophthalmogist.  This one did a very thorough exam.  He said I have 3 scratches on my cornea and that one of them is infected.  He put me on a vaseline type antibiotic that I put in my eye at least every hour.  He also gave me drops to put in 3 times a day to dilate my eye because of the inflammation.  Lastly, he told me tape my eye at night.  He also showed me how I should wipe my eye.  Close the eye and wipe from top to bottom. 

Putting in the eye ointment is not fun and it makes my vision very blurry, but at least it will protect my eye.  The doctor said I will probably need to continue that until my eye blinks on its own again.  He's concerned about it getting dry.  Even my good eye is a bit dry. 

One more thing to adapt to.  I'm praying that my eye will blink by Christmas, but I'm not counting on it.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

antoinette

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 02:12:38 pm »
I often had red eyes when it was so dry and hurtful. Now I have enough tears to lubricate them. But some morning they are red, blood shot! and this goes with louder tinnitus. Usually I remember that I did not drink enough water and everything suffers, the kidneys hurt, the tinnitus is awful and the eyes do not moisture enough to even close properly.
antoinette

luv2teachsped

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 07:57:47 pm »
Hi Jeanlea! So sorry to hear about the problems you're having!  I wrote on thread you started about "red eye".Well, I just came back from the eye doctor, and I have a staph infection in both eyes!Ugh...And like you, he said my good eye is quite dry  . I'm just grateful for what I do have.  I thought I'd mentioned it, as someone else questioned when I said I've been having a lot of styes. They were right, good thing I did go to the dr.Take Care, luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 09:45:52 pm »
Hi Luv2teachsped,

My red eye has cleared up, but I'm going to be on the antibiotics still.  My eye doctor is very concerned.  He keeps talking about sewing it partially shut.  I'm not too excited about that.  He's going to consult with another doctor.  He wants to do all he can to save my vision for the future.  I'm going to call my doctor that did the surgery and see what advice he has.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

russ

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 11:03:52 pm »
 Hi Jean!
   I know a person on another group who's Dr. recommended sewing the lid shut and they refused. The cornea was scratched accidently and vision was lost permenately.
   If it were my situation, I'd opt for the sewing just knowing about that person.
   Best wishes!
   Russ

luv2teachsped

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 06:54:37 pm »
Hi Jean-
     I would agree with Russ.  I know a fellow teacher who wears contacts and she had an unceraated cornea and said the pain was horrible.  It is the one thing my eye doctor mentioned when I first went to him after surgery.  You don't want to fool around with your vision.Good luck, keep me posted!luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07