Author Topic: fatigue  (Read 3771 times)

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
fatigue
« on: June 01, 2008, 07:55:39 am »
I am only 3 weeks out from surgery and doing fantastic.  I do wonder, though, about the fatigue.  The smallest tasks or outings really wear me out. Soon, all of the people that are helping me will need to get back to their lives-- and I've got a 22 month old to keep up with.  How long did it take for you to feel like you could resume your former level of activity?
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

er

Re: fatigue
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:55:40 am »
Hello Nicole222

It will get better. The stronger you get the more your head will heal.
Your body will tell you when to slow down. Just take it easy.
I know it is hard right know with a little one. But do take it easy.
eve

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:53:43 pm »
Nicole:

The reality is that although we may 'bounce back' from AN surgery fairly quickly (I did), it takes many months to fully recuperate from this major surgery that is traumatic to our system.  Your fatigue will diminish, but maybe not for some time. 

I know that sounds ambiguous, and it is, but only because we're all different and it becomes impossible to put an exact time-frame on when fatigue might finally become a thing of the past.  Mine went slowly.  I was able to do almost everything I did prior to surgery but it tired me more than usual. I adjusted to that and eventually, months later, realized that my fatigue had pretty much disappeared.  It took about six months.  For some, it goes away within weeks.  For others, fatigue remains an issue for years.  There simply is no precise indicator.  I wish there were.  However, being just 3 weeks post-op, I think your expectations may be just a tad high.  Give it another few weeks.  Meanwhile, you should be able to do the things you have to do without being noticeably fatigued so I would certainly mention this to your doctor.  There may be some underlying cause for the prolonged fatigue you're experiencing, not directly related to the AN. 

Meanwhile, rest as much as you're able, eat healthy, try to remain as stress-free as possible and stay connected with us.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 01:13:04 pm »
Hi Nicole,

As Jim said, it varies. Not much surprise there; it is (or was) an AN. :)

From time to time, it seems to me that someone points out that toddlers provide a good example of readjusting to the world around us. They are more tentative about moving around; they investigate their balance abilities step by step; and they take frequent naps. Maybe "keeping up" with your 22 month old can also include that approach - especially the frequent rests.

I think you will find that every day and every week, it gets a little better. Do what you can, but don't push too hard or too fast. It will work out.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cmp

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 01:35:26 pm »
Nicole--

My daughter was 12 months old after my surgery--just starting to walk, and so much less active than your son, so I can well understand how challenging and inconvenient your fatigue must be.

For a while after surgery (a couple of months, I think), I had a sitter (an adult woman) come in for a few hours each morning, which gave me a chance to take long, slow walks to improve my balance, which was really poor for at least 6-8 weeks. Then in the afternoon, I'd nap when my daughter did. I had cleaning help during that period, which really helped too. Any chance that even if your current support network disperses you can book some sitter hours or a weekly (or biweekly) cleaning service, so that you can really whittle down the number of things you need to expend your energy on (and focus most of it on your toddler?)

For me, the fatigue was most intense in the first 2 or 3 months--that was really a period when I HAD to nap each day (and I'm not ordinarily a napper, even if I don't sleep the night before, etc). After that, I had returned to most of my normal activities, even if at a slower pace for a few months longer...

Hang in there--you are only 3 weeks out!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 01:49:43 pm »
Nicole -

fatigue can last for weeks or months; as with most things AN, it pretty much depends on the patient.

When I got home from the hospital, I would get worn out just by taking a shower.  I remember showering, dressing, and then napping for a few hours  :D

Thankfully the fatigue got better with time.

It's been over 10 years since my twins were 22 months old, so I'm not too clear on what they were doing at that age, but I want to say that 22 month olds still need naps.  If your daughter is still into napping, try to nap with her - it will give you more energy.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 02:30:43 pm »
Hi Nicole-

Great topic.  Fatigue has been the biggest frustration for me, and I, too, wonder when it will get better.  I have finally resolved myself to schedule a couple of hours each afternoon for a nap (or at least resting) and that seems to help.  I normally have tons of energy, so this whole fatigue thing has been a totally new (and not very welcome!) experience.  I find that I am sleeping a good 9 hours each night, and still need to rest each afternoon - amazing.

I am older than you (52, but don't tell anyone  ;)), and don't know if that makes any difference or not?

I hope that you start to feel stronger soon - but as everyone else has said, in the meantime, listen to your body.  Eat good food, and rest when you need to.  (I'm going to follow that advice myself!)

Debbi ... just up from my afternoon nap
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 03:13:56 pm »
Debbi:

I have my doubts about age being a 'fatigue factor'.  I was 63 when I had my surgery (and then, FSR) - and I did just fine.  Logically, I could be the exception - but I doubt it.  While general health is very likely a factor in the level of fatigue one experiences, post-op, I doubt that any age much below 75 or so is really an issue in healing, and only a minor one, at that.  I would assume that youth (under 30) might skew the healing curve a bit but, overall, I doubt that being 40 or 50 or 60 really makes much difference in how long fatigue might last in any one AN surgical patient.  Of course, I could be wrong.  :)   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 03:35:15 pm »
Yep, Jim, I think you are probably right on all counts.  Besides, I still think of myself as a young-un!  You make a good point about general health being a better indicator than age -  and I've definitely got that on my side.  I gues the fatigue will just run its course.

Debbi - yawn...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 04:04:22 pm »
Jim~ 
I was 25 and in really good health and hopefully y'all have all figured out by now that I am NOT one to sit around, however, all that said, the AN kicked my tail!!  I was WORN OUT for a LONG time (& still really suffer from fatigue at night or if I do too much - that doesn't really stop me but I can handle my limits more now).  I realize that I went from nothing to ALL day and a VERY demanding job - teaching 1st grade - I would come home and sleep until the next morning - literally!  Summer really helped so I guess that was about 6 months post-op...Anyway, I don't think age had ANYTHING to do with it!!   ::)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 07:47:45 pm »
Hey Nicole
If I remember correctly, I slept through the month of December.  You will get your energy back.  But why doctors don't clue you into this in advance, I don't know.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 09:47:25 pm »
I'm 1 year and almost 4 months past my surgery and still suffer from chronic fatigue. My head and my vision still feel like I've had a few drinks when I walk, despite 8 weeks of vestibular therapy. My Dr. wants me to go for another 3 months.
I still find that I need a good nap in the afternoon so my energy doesn't crash.  I kind of feel that I need to pace myself so I can get through the day or days without feeling like I'm coming down with the flu or something.

I'm happy to hear it's not like this for everyone...and perhaps it may be worse for some. I guess like everything else about AN surgeries...the outcomes and recoveries vary and are very individualistic.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

kimberly

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 05:35:21 am »
Hi Nicole,

You and I had surgery the same week.  It's the same for me too.  It isn't easy when your mind has all these tasks and things you'd like to do but the body doesn't cooperate.  My doctor said "this was a major surgery, it takes time!"  3 weeks is not that much time after what you went through.  I don't have children, so i can't relate to that part but I have learned to pace myself with the tasks I want to do.   Hang in there, I hear it gets better!

Kimberly :)

er

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 05:52:05 pm »
Kimberly &  Nicole,
 Your doctors are right, “It is  a major surgery, it takes time!"
And it will get better promise.
eve

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 09:59:38 pm »
I am with Kimberly and Nicole in that fatigue seems to take me more often than I want.  I am with the others that it takes time tho.  We will alll make it back post procedure strength, just not fast enough.   ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager