Author Topic: Surgery is tomorrow! Think of me...  (Read 6835 times)

calimama

Surgery is tomorrow! Think of me...
« on: June 01, 2008, 11:59:33 am »
Hi All,

After a crazy week and a half of busy full time work, a sick baby (gastro virus), family in town (my dad and his wife), and all the regular day to day stuff, i find myself staring surgery between the eyes. It is tomorrow morning.

"OUT DAMN SPOT"!

I don't find myself scared or nervous. Just hoping to wake up sometime tomorrow afternoon and not find the world so much different than i left it. Rather, not find myself so much different (minus one not so little tumor of course!!).

I have asked my hubbie Fabian to post here and let you all know how i am doing.

The people here who have touched my life these past few months have been a source of great information, courage and comfort.  I want to say a special THANK YOU to those of you who have been kind enough to answer my unsolicitated emails, respond to my various posts, chat with me on the phone, engage in regular email dialogues (and friendships!) outside of this site, etc. Each of you knows who you are and, i hope, how grateful i am. It is a powerful thing to find support from people who are, for a time, strangers, but over time friends. This is one of the many blessings this experience has given me.

I hope this finds you all well and better than yesterday.

with heartfelt thanks,
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery is tomorrow! Think of me...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:24:09 pm »
Trish:

Thank you for the very kind and moving comments.  I can guarantee you that they are much appreciated by many.  You are a special person.

Of course you know there'll be many people praying for and/or thinking about you and sending hugs and good wishes your way on Monday. 

I know the waiting has attenuated your patience and that the surgery will almost be welcomed in order to get it behind you and begin the healing process.  I very much hope that all will go smoothly and you'll have an uncomplicated surgery and a speedy recovery.

Thanks for convincing your husband Fabian to post updates.  That is very much appreciated.  Please thank him on our behalf.

Now, rest up, try to remain positive and know that you are not going through this alone.  Good luck, Trish.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:27:06 pm »
I've only been here a short time, but wanted to wish you the best of luck.  I'll be anxiously awaiting updates from your husband.  I'll be praying for you and for your surgical team and nurses as well.  Can't wait to see you after you're home and up to posting again :)
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Tamara

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 12:30:20 pm »
Trish,
  I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers.  Best wishes and wellness to you!

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

lori67

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 12:35:16 pm »
Trish,

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.  I don't think you'll find yourself too much different when you wake up -  The surgery might change a few things, but it can't change what's on the inside - you'll still be the caring person and great mom you were before.

Thank your hubby in advance for keeping up updated.  I hope Cali is feeling better too.

See ya in postie-land..

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cmp

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 12:55:13 pm »
I don't think you'll find yourself too much different when you wake up -  The surgery might change a few things, but it can't change what's on the inside - you'll still be the caring person and great mom you were before.

What Lori said!

Best wishes for a speedy, successful surgery and smooth road to recovery, Trish. You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow, and I'll be looking forward to those updates from your husband!

5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 01:01:36 pm »
What Carrie said Lori said! :)

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, have a good surgery and a good recovery. Healing will happen!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 02:34:47 pm »
Trish-

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending you many good thoughts.  And, I think you will find that although some of the things in your world may sound and bit different, you will still be the same wonderful person and the things in your life that are really important will remain unchanged. 

You have made many friends here on this forum (I am one of them) and we are all going to be cheering you on tomorrow, and anxiously waiting for updates. 

If you are in one of the hospitals where you get to walk into the OR, go forth with a big smile and lots of confidence.

OUT DAMN SPOT!!!!

all the best,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cindyj

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 02:49:05 pm »
Joining all the others in good wishes and thoughts for tomorrow!  Know you're glad the time has come to get this thing over with.  We'll all be watching for your husband's updates.

Try to get a good night's sleep,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 02:57:36 pm »
Trish -

I like that "OUT DAMN SPOT"  ;D

I wasn't nervous or scared the day before surgery either; I actually had a kind of peaceful feeling.  It sounds like you are ready for this.

I agree with what Lori said - which was echoed by Carrie and Steve  :)

Best wishes for a successful surgery and short recovery - and a big thank you to Fabian for agreeing to update us.

See you on the postie side  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 04:14:21 pm »
Trish~
GOOD LUCK to you tomorrow!  I know that soon enough you will be back to holding that sweet little girl! And then down the line, you will be having as many more as you can handle!!   ;D

Prayers your way,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 05:00:12 pm »
Trish:  Will say prayers for you,  keep a peaceful heart my friend.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

calimama

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 06:51:06 pm »
Just put Cali to bed and wanted to have a quick look for last minute inspiration and found it. Thanks for the wonderful messages, thoughts and prayers.

I will pass on the messages Fabian too, so he knows how important it is to me and all of you.

I think my surgery is at 8:30am. Ommmmm.....ooommmmm....ooooommmmmm....

Best wishes to all who are having treatments this week and next!

Thanks thanks thanks
Trish

soon-to-be-postie!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 07:44:17 pm »
Many best wishes Trish.  My prayers are with you.  If you're anything like I am, you'll wake up in a tangle of tubes craving ice chips.  And soon you'll be holding your beautiful baby.  You'll be fine.  See you soon as a postie.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 07:53:52 pm »
Good luck tomorrow.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!