Author Topic: Article  (Read 2029 times)

Esperanza

Article
« on: June 01, 2008, 05:08:25 pm »
Hi all,
Have not posted for a while, been really busy trying to retain some 'normaility' to my life while I'm sitting on the see-saw and waiting (not too patiently!) for my next MRI..
anyway during a 'research' session for something else I couldn't resist taking a look if there was anything new being published for AN's and I came across this - thought some of you might find it interesting to read..

Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2008 Mar 8. [Epub ahead of print] Links
Hearing preservation after translabyrinthine approach performed to remove a large vestibular schwannoma.Tringali S, Ferber-Viart C, Gallégo S, Dubreuil C.
Service d’Oto-neurochirurgie, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Centre hospitalier Lyon Sud, 69495, Pierre Benite Cedex, France,

We report the case of a 27-year-old woman from whom a left vestibular schwannoma (grade IV) was removed by a translabyrinthine approach. The initial period was uneventful except for a few days of vertigo. This patient had no facial paresis (House-Brackman grade I). She was seen 1, 3, 6 and 12 months after operation and reported a sensation of hearing in the left ear. The audiological studies showed a left medium hearing loss. At the 1-year follow-up visit, her hearing status was unchanged. A hearing aid was fitted and functioned satisfactory. At the 5-year follow-up visit, audiometry studies were unchanged. Our case demonstrated that some hearing preservation could be obtained even if the vestibular schwannoma was large and excised by a translabyrinthine approach. Hearing with the help of a good hearing aid allowed a satisfactory function in this case. We believe that it is possible to preserve some hearing after translabyrinthine approach even if no care was taken to preserve the membraneous labyrinth and the loss of endolymph and even if the vestibular schwannoma was large. However, further experimental studies are needed to determine and understand the mechanisms of hearing preservation in this case.

Good luck to all waiting for treatment, just about to undergo treatment or recovering from treatment   :)

x

Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Article
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:12:21 pm »
wow, thanks for sharing the article.  Very interesting!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:53:28 pm »
Interesting article.  Does anyone know exactly what is taken out when the Translab procedure is done? 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:31:31 pm »
Esperanza:

Thanks for the heads-up on the article that indicates possible hearing preservation with Translab surgery.  I don't know enough about the details of the case cited in the article to make an informed comment and because I'm not a physician, I have to accept what doctors tell me.  That noted, I can say, along with everyone else, that this is certainly interesting.  I hope further information and/or studies will be forthcoming.

I also hope that your anxiety will attenuate a bit as you await your upcoming MRI scan next month (July). 

Stay strong and please, stay connected.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:41:42 pm »
Really interesting article!  I thoguht that SSD with translab was a given, but this makes it sound like there might be some hope.  It will be interesting to follow.  in the meantime, I'll just listen to the birds in my ear...

Thanks so much for sharing this, Esperanza!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 04:01:18 pm »
I was told that the entire eighth cranial nerve was removed with my 3.5 cm tumor removed via translab.  I don't think you can hear without it.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

cmp

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 06:50:24 pm »
thanks for sharing this article--it's wonderful to think that there are still advances being made in how ANs are treated...

Good luck sitting tight in "limbo", and may your next MRI be an uneventful one!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 12:27:15 am »
Jeanlea, I asked and was told that the cochlea and hearing aparatus (little bones) were removed.  The tympanic membrane is there. The hearing nerve and that vestibular branch were severed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:29:57 am by Boppie »