Author Topic: Jan's BAHA pictures  (Read 36904 times)

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
Re: Jan's BAHA pictures
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2008, 09:03:34 am »
Jan,
Here ya go. I am the sweat-hog!  :D 
My son is imitating a chimp. I guess he is pretty sweaty too. But seriously I hope that my sweating does not hamper the function of my Baha in a couple weeks now.
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2008, 11:51:51 am »
sabuck -

you look too young to have a son that old  ;)

I don't think the sweating will be a problem, just use the little jar of microbeads you'll receive compliments of Cochlear when you get your processor and your nifty "gift pack".  The microbeads are to suck moisture out of the processor.

I just got back from the doc's office where I was telling him and the audiologist about not wearing my processor outside for the past week due to all the heat and humidity we were having.  They both said that shouldn't be an issue for the processor.  I even mentioned to the audiologist how I took mine off to mow the lawn and she said I probably didn't have to. 

So, I'd just say take things as they come.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sabuck

« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2008, 12:25:56 pm »
Jan,

Thanks for the information. I am a little more relieved to know that they are not super-sensitive to mositure. I guess that common sense and a little extra effort with the nighttime moisture absorbing beads should keep it running in tip top shape.

You are way too kind. That picture was about 4 years ago so I am sure I look, and many times feel each one of my 53 years.  :P ;)
I do try to have fun though.  ;D -other Steve
SSD post op - left side

lori67

« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2008, 01:40:26 pm »
other Steve -

I love the picture!

I've worn my BAHA while on the treadmill and outside when it's pretty hot.  The processor itself isn't actually up against your head, so there is some room for air to circulate around it and if you sweat, it would probably just run down your skin behind the processor.  Unless your hair sweats...that might be a problem.  :D

The handy-dandy jar of beads probably does a pretty good job of drying things up overnight.  I haven't shorted mine out yet.  Knock on wood....

Jan, I don't think I would have worn mine to mow the lawn either - why listen to all that noise if you don't have to?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sabuck

« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2008, 03:20:56 pm »
Lori,

I don't think that I want to chance shorting it out while at the gym or doing outside work. Why take a chance? I think that my hair may sweat.  :P As for the lawn mower, we need to protect our good hearing ear as much as possible. Wear ear protection to save what we have left!  ;)

I can't wait to show off my Baha like Jan!  ;D
SSD post op - left side

lori67

« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2008, 05:05:23 pm »
Well, chances are you work out harder than I do...and Jan and I don't sweat anyway - we glow!   ;D

I don't think I'll be taking my chances with the lawnmower again - you're right - gotta protect that good ear.  I better just step away from the mower!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2008, 08:02:26 pm »
Lori -

thanks for the reminder - I forgot that women "glow"  :D

Good point about the skin under the processor - I didn't remember that.  Actually most days I totally forget I have a screw in my head - unless I'm showing it off as sabuck said.  And BTW, sabuck, you picked up on that fairly easily - I do like showing it off  ;D

In addition to being a little concerned about the heat & humidity while I mowed, I took the processor off because I thought it would be just my luck to have it fall off and then I'd run over it.  Definitely something I would do  :D  When I mentioned this to the audiologist today, she reminded me that I have that "handy dandy" safety string (aka fishing line) compliments of Cochlear that I could have used ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sabuck

« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2008, 08:51:41 am »
I have to tell this story that happened yesterday. I was out to eat with some buddies at lunch yesterday. The female server (politically correct for waitress) saw me sitting back with my hands folded behind my head in a relaxed position. She was kidding around with me I guess and said that I was "touching" my head too much. I don't think that I was and that's not the point. I think that she had seen my abutment and associated scars. I said right back to her "Gee I think that something is in my head. Would you have a look?" So of course she looks closely with mouth agape. I said " Do you see anything there? I feel like I have a screw lose or something." I sure had some fun with that and of course my buddies were all laughing.  ;D I can see some great fun ahead with the Baha. Yeah Jan...I can't wait to show it off! - just call me by my last name - Buck so we don't confuse with original Steve. His posts are way better and more informative than mine.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:27:44 am by sabuck »
SSD post op - left side

sgerrard

« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2008, 09:04:34 am »
just call me by my last name - Buck so we don't confuse with original Steve. His posts are way better and more informative than mine.  ::)

Maybe, but you've got a BAHA and I don't.  :(

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sabuck

« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2008, 10:31:45 am »
HA! Good one!  ;D Hey Steve I really like your AN calendar btw. Very cool! Also I like the "can I knit you a hat?" reference. Good stuff!  :D -Buck
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:55:45 pm by sabuck »
SSD post op - left side

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2008, 11:08:43 am »
Great story, Buck  LOL

This is definitely something that I would have done - Lori, too  ;D

We can be serious when we have to, but we definitely enjoy a good laugh!

Forgot to ask you, in your picture with your son you appear to be "on safari" and in your profile picture I'm noticing headphones of some type.  Are you an outdoorsman?

As for Steve, he'll be more than happy to knit you a hat.  I hear that BAHA users get to move to the front of the line - so you're right up there behind me and Lori  ;)

Jan

lori67

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2008, 11:28:17 am »
Alright - Buck it is.

That is hilarious!  I wish I could have seen the look on her face!  I had to fly up to Philly last week for my Mom's surgery, and as luck would have it, I wound up with an infection around my abuttment - my doctor wanted to take a look at it before he decided if it was okay for me to go out of town (which I was going to do anyway, no matter what he said).  He said he wanted to make sure it was something that could be treated with oral antibiotics because he didn't want me to be far away from home and have some serious problem.  I told him not to worry, as I was planning on spending most of the time at the hospital anyway.

His concern was that they might not be familiar with BAHA's at that hospital and he could just see me walking into the ER saying "my head hurts" and them saying "well, here's the problem - you have this screw in your head.  Let's just pull that out".

Lori

sabuck

« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2008, 04:07:55 pm »
In answer to your questions Jan... My oldest son was in Uganda serving in the Peace Corps. My wife and I thought after the first year we needed to go and see what he had gotten himself into. That's a whole other story in itself. But yes we are indeed on a real safari in Uganda and saw a troop of wild chimps. Very cool...but EXTREMELY hot  :D Must be because Uganda is sort of on the equator or something like that.  ::)
By trade I am a horticulturist and we've been in the "Green Industry" as long as I can remember. Mom & dad had a garden center and florist while growing up. Then we started a landscape contracting business that we've had for the last 38 years.
One of my passionate hobbies is flying. I have a set of aviation headphones on there. I've been flying since 1982. I am only hoping that during my next flight physical that the FAA doc passes me.  :-\  We'll that's not fair that I know so little about anyone else. I do know that you are some really great souls here! :)

SSD post op - left side

Kaybo

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2008, 04:20:12 pm »
Buck~
I'll be more than happy to tell you about me - but it is not NEAR as exciting as your story!  I used to teach school - PE teacher turned classroom and now I stay home and chase after my own 3!  You can learn more than you ever want to know on my blog - www.threecurlygirlies.blogspot.com!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sabuck

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2008, 04:23:27 pm »
K,

Your daughters are absolute dolls!  ;D Very nice blog too!  I love the music! How cool!  ::)
SSD post op - left side