Author Topic: Swelling around the incision after AN surgery  (Read 2896 times)

Curt

Swelling around the incision after AN surgery
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:04:31 pm »
Hello everyone. I'm writing for my friend, who had AN surgery a month ago, and in most respects has come through with flying colors.  However, about two weeks ago she noticed a swelling at the base of the surgical site - almost the size and shape of a small golf ball. She describes it as feeling like a baseball hit it - sore but not horrible pain. It came after she had exerted herself - going camping, taking a lot of walks, etc. When she woke up the next morning, the lump was gone.

She had no more problems until yesterday when it returned - this time after being at the beach all day. She went to bed last night hoping it would go away like last time; however, it it was still there this morning, and has stayed throughout the day. She's concerned because she feels like it might have spread a little down the neck.  In addition, there are two lesser swellings - one at the top of the incision point, and another at the back of the middle of her head where the head meets the neck. (These two are smaller, but have the same tender/sore feeling of the other one.) She is not having any dripping, which we've read is one sign of the spinal fluid leakage.

She plans to call her surgeon tomorrow to find out about this, especially because the first swelling came back and isn't going away that quickly this time. She is putting ice on the swellings to see if that will help.  But I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to them, or heard about it from someone else. 

Also, she's in southern Virginia now (Norfolk area), and if someone knows of a good AN group in the area that would be helpful too. (Her AN surgery was in Michigan.) She knows that you just don't go walking into an emergency room with something like this.

Thank you in advance for your responses - this is a very supportive and knowledgeable group on here, and your advice has always been very helpful.

Kaybo

Re: Swelling around the incision after AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:31:10 pm »
Curt~ 
You are a good friend to be writing for her...I'm glad that she is calling tomorrow - please make sure she does, even if the swelling is down - this is not something to mess around with.  It is always better to be safe than sorry!!  Let us know!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 06:55:49 am »
Curt,

I had an exact same situation you describe 4.5 weeks after my second surgery. He, unfortunately, was thousands of miles away. So, I e-mailed him the pictures of my incision. He prescribed an antibiotic (Cipro) which took care of mild headaches and fevers I started having. I eliminated all the activities from my schedule that required physical exertion including bending and lifting object greater that a couple of pounds so that I don't tax the area but let it heal instead. The approach worked and the swelling went away in 2 months. It was a scary and uncertain time. I hope everything works out for your friend. Needless to say, let your friend show the incision to the neurosurgeon instead.

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Curt

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 06:36:16 pm »
Kaybo and Eve, thanks for writing.

My friend called her doctor, and was told that swelling isn't unusual, even after a month. As it is, by this afternoon the swelling was going down in the main site, and has disappeared entirely in the other two places - which was a real relief. Since she doesn't have headaches and fever like Eve did, they don't think it was an infection, so no antibiotic - just keep ice on it and take it easy.

Thanks again for writing.  :)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:03:18 am »
Curt-

So glad your friend is doing better!  I'm just finishing (hopefully) four weeks of IV antibiotics due to an infection in my incision - so I am in that line with Kay and Eve to say that it is always best to have a surgeon look at anythign suspicious.  I think that, most times, swelling turns out to be somethign normal, but on the rare occasion when it doesn't, you want fast action.

Let us know how she's doing, okay?  You're a good friend!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com