Author Topic: HOME AND OK  (Read 3928 times)

calimama

HOME AND OK
« on: June 12, 2008, 05:07:22 am »
THANKS FOR PATIENCE AND PRAYERS.

Just finally have access here and a second. Has been keeping me up at night thinking of all the things i need to say.

i am working with one eye covered here as i still have double vision. balance is ok though. no real pain to speak of and no headaches (so far). do have paralysis but supposed to be temp so at 10days post surgery am hopeful, patiett. i was prepared for many of my issues thnaks to those who share before me, so i am just fine.

my hubbue and mom have been so supportive, busy, tirerless care and love and acceptance. i think last monday surgery day waa hardest for him as 6hrs ended up being 11. he stayed in the ICU chair all night. i remember being so thirsty, vomitting (nothing) constantly. i was 1 night in ICU, then 1 night in shared room (interesting!) and the rest in private (nice). mom stayed 2 nights with me (on the floor with pad from stretcher - the nurses loved that), and fabian stayed another night with me in chair. i thought i was less capable than i was until i got home and started moving around without walker (now in the corner). I think i have become one of "debbi's people" (SSD) despite a bit of hope with RS surgery, but know that this will also be ok in more time. 5 months ago i would not have imagined myself like this (i was NOT going to have surgery), now here i am, a bit beaten but OK. feeling grateful and resilent. I really appreciated the thoughts echoed before surgery that i would not find the  world AFTER so different because you can't take away what's inside. I may not look like myself, but I'm still me and as long as Cali is OK, I will be. Funny that.

i got my hair done the day out of hospital which did wonders. i warned the guy about 'the zipper'.

so i see my doc on friday for staple removal. opthamologist next friday. eye drops are my friend.

so good to be home. having capaccino. hospital stay was 7 noghts, but the last 2 were probably just a waste of time. i think i got a litle stuck there cuz it was the weekend. i got sprung on monday afternoon, and am feeling the walls, relaxing.

i guess my brain will take some time to work out what my eyes see. feeling drunk. who needs wine! (later).

anyway, Fabian tried to keep up with all my demands and i will hopefully be around here a bit more in the coming days and weeks.

i have not been able to write all that is in my mind, heart, but was speaking to you all in spirit these days. i felt lots of love, prayers, wishes, thoughts during these past few weeks so please accept my deepest thanks. i have to help with cali's breaky but there will be lots more from me...stay tuned.

on the road, one day at a time, smiling on the inside.

hugs,

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: HOME AND OK
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 05:52:37 am »
Trish-

This is the first post I saw this morning - and it was so wonderful to read it!  I am so glad you are doing well - or at least as well as anyone could be after 11 hours of surgery and all the related "new" sensations.  I had a little tear in my good eye when I read that your mom and Fabian stayed at the hospital - I am so glad you have such a wonderful, loving and supportive family.  I know from my own wonderful parents, friends, and especially Willie how much that means. 

I am sorry that you seem to have lost the hearing in the AN ear, and that you are having the dreaded facial numbness.  Not to mention dizziness and nausea (which I somehow avoided.)  However, Trish, with your attitude and the love of family, you will find your way through all of these things with grace and style.  And, when you have the occasional bad day, we will all be here to cheer you on, empathize, commiserate.

I am sending you huge hugs and many, many well wishes.  Continue to feel better and come "see" us when you can.

Oh, and if you need any recommendations on eye drops - .let me know!  I think I've tried them all by now!   :o

Debbi - winking at you with my good eye
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 06:37:32 am »
Trish~
So good to hear from you - I am glad you are home & doing OK.  Sounds like you have been thru the ringer, but I promise, when it is all over, you will be a stronger, better person!  Keep up that great attitude and keep us posted when you can and feel like it.  Remember, take it slow - this can be a LONG healing process and requires some patience on everyone's part.  If you have a day where you don't feel as well as others, its OK!!  Keep up the good work!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 07:42:32 am »
Your recovery sounds like it is on the normal track.  Your spirit sounds very positive and keeping a positive outlook on your recovery definately helps!  Often I would look back at my first days home to remind me I am moving forward.  As long as I was moving forward I kept positive, no matter how slow the forward motion seemed.  You sound wonderful, your family sounds wonderfully supportive and the fact you are typing so soon is amazing.  Stay rested, as rested as you can!  Congratulations there's is no place like home!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

oHIo

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 08:45:16 am »
Trish...welcome to the other side.  Being home can be very healing.  While recovery may be slow, you may notice subtle differences every day.  These are a sign that you are healing.  Rest when you can.  Don't overdo.  Come to us when you need support for those not so great days but don't forget to share your triumphs as you recover.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:45:54 am »
Trish -

SO good to see you back here.  Thank Fabian for us - it was wonderful that he updated us during your hospital stay.

It sounds like you've been in good hands with your mom and Fabian taking care of you - families can be a very vital part of the recovery process.  I'm sure that it's a wonderful feeling to be home again; Cali is probably happiest of all  :)  I bet she missed you.

What you are experiencing and feeling is very normal.  Give yourself time and things will improve.  I'm sorry to hear you are one of "Debbi's people", but give yourself time to adjust and remember there are a lot of us here who are SSD also.  You'll get lots of support from us.

Please keep us updated on your recovery.  Wishing you the best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cmp

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:45:33 am »
Trish--

How wonderful to hear from you that you are back home and on the road to recovery, taking everything in stride even if you wobble a bit as you do so! So glad the amazing support of your mom and Fabian has been there for you, and that you have felt supported by us as well... 

I'm sorry your hearing seems to have been sacrificed--hope this adjustment will not be too difficult for you, and you certainly will have lots of folks here who can help with it (I'm one of them, so feel free to pick my brain for tips...). Hopefully any other post-surgical issues will resolve themselves slowly over time.

Take things as slowly as you can (a tall order, to be sure, when you have a small child to care for!), and may every day find you a little stronger... :)
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:55:40 am »
Hi Trish,

I saw Dr Rutka a week ago and asked how you were doing.  He was surprised that I know you.  I told him I know you thru the forum.  I asked how long he was actually operating on you and he said a little over an hr. 

I am so HAPPY to read your post.  I've been thinking of you.  Gosh, your post really brought tears to my eyes.  Listen to your body and continue to heal.

Take care,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:03:17 am »
Hi Trish

Welcome to the postie world!  Glad to see you're back.  I can only repeat what others have said, get plenty of rest and know that things do get better.  And as always, if you have any questions or concerns, ask away.  Someone here has the answer or knows where to find it.

Have a speedy and healthy recovery.

Best wishes
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 01:38:45 pm »
Hi, Trish!

Welcome back 'postie':)

It reads as though you had a bit of a long surgery and an occasionally tough hospitalization but are on the mend, now.  The facial numbness and double vision should be temporary, which can be a relative term where an AN is involved, but of course, many will continue to pray for you and otherwise send you our thoughts and hopes for a rapid and complete recovery. 

It was refreshing to read about the support you received from your immediate family (husband, mother) and their stalwart presence during your surgery and immediate recuperation period.  My wife never left the hospital during my 9-hour surgery.  While I was in the ICU, she slept in a chair by my bedside or, as I improved, in the nurse's lounge.  I've never forgotten how grateful I was for her presence, even if I was only party conscious of it most of the time.  Family support is very special and I'm so pleased that you had the benefit of it, Trish. 

We understand that this is a time of recovery and recuperation and while we welcome your messages, we know that you'll be tired and have other priorities (is that a baby I hear?)  Post as you're able and keep your positive outlook.  Next to God and family, it's your best asset as this will be a time requiring patience and courage, both of which I know you possess in large amounts.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

er

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 02:10:20 pm »
Glad your back home Trish.
Awesome that you didn’t have to much to affect you and that you are fine Thank goodness for family always there to love and take care of you. For me that is important.
And yes you are on your way to recovery. I am surprised you are able to type your thoughts. Congratulations again.
Hugs and Prayers for you
eve

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 03:11:35 pm »
Hi Trish:  HMMMMMM   everything you wrote sounds so familiar yet so far away.    So glad to know all went well.

Continued healing my friend.   Always good thoughts,  Nancy

ps  REST, REST & MORE REST ! !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 04:12:06 pm »
Trish -
Glad to see you back and on the road to recovery.  I was very sorry to hear you lost you hearing in your AN ear.  I always hope those with decent hearing will fare better.  Although It's certainly not the end of the world, it's still a loss.  Hopefully the facial paralysis will resolve soon, and it's not unheard of for some hearing to come back after an apparent loss.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  It's great that your parents and Fabian have been so supportive and responsive to your needs.  I'm sure  they are very concerned and are doing what they can to  make your recovery easier.  Looking forward to seeing future posts from you  and wishing you all good things.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

TP

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 05:59:36 pm »
Trish, you sound wonderful. Within a short time this will be behind you and you will have energy and will be back to a normal routine. My suggestion is to rest. Your body went thru a lot and sleep will do you wonders. Then one day you will realize you don't need to sleep that much anymore....My prayers are with you for continued healing.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 09:52:03 pm »
Welcome home, Trish.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.