Author Topic: My consultation with the surgeon  (Read 2516 times)

lholl36233

My consultation with the surgeon
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:58:30 pm »
Hello,

My name is Laura.  I'm starting to feel like I know everyone here.

I had the consultation today.  I like the surgeon.  He was able to tell me the AN is 11.4 mm x 4.2 mm.  Of course, since I had the CT and MRI in a different hospital, nobody ensured the surgeon had them.  I have another appointment in 2 weeks after he has had the chance to see the CT and second MRI.  I have ensured they were put in the mail to the doctor today.

The interesting thing is the surgeon isn't 100% sure what I have is an AN.  The ENT told me for sure it was 3 weeks ago.  He admitted while it probably is, it might just be an inflammation.  He can't be sure until he sees the CT. 

The doctor was strongly in favor of radiation considering the small size and my young age.  I'm 35 so I like hearing I'm young.  He said I could wait but I'd rather do the radiation sooner than later while I still have some hearing to possibly save.

Stay tuned...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: My consultation with the surgeon
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:13:07 pm »
Laura -

thanks for the update.   

It's always a good idea to get a copy of your MRI and CT results and the related reports so you can take them to consultations with you.  Most hospitals will give you a copy of your films for free; others charge a minimal fee.

It's interesting to hear that you might not have an acoustic neuroma afterall.  I'm anxious to hear the solution to this mystery  ;)  Please keep us posted.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marymomof3

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 07:50:09 pm »
Hi Laura - You're the 2nd person I heard where the surgeons weren't certain if it was AN or inflammation.  How will they be able to determine which it is?

Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

lholl36233

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 05:25:48 am »
The surgeon sounded like he would know for sure once he saw the CT scan.  He did indicate it most likely is an AN but couldn't be 100% sure until he saw the CT.  I assure you the know it all ENT was 100% sure.

I guess I really am a newbie because I didn't know enough to ask for a copy of the CT and MRI before I left Mass Eye and Ear.  I will do that in the future.

I'm anxious for my June 27 appointment.  When the surgeon tell me it is an AN as I anticipate, we'll map out the schedule for my radiation...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 10:56:33 am »
100%? I'm not sure that ever happens.

If you read a radiologist's report on your MRI, it will probably contain a sentence like "most compatible with a vestibular schwannoma", which is radiologist-speak for "you have an AN". The radiologists will never say they are 100% certain. Of course, they would probably say "most compatible with a nose on my face", where the rest of us would just say "that's my nose."

I did hear of one case this year, where a woman was diagnosed with an AN, and went in for middle fossa surgery. When she woke up, they said they were sorry, but they couldn't find a tumor! I haven't heard more about it, other than that she is fine, so I can't tell you what the final result was. It is a scary thought, but it can happen - fortunately not very often, though.

Hopefully they will be able to make a confident diagnosis, and get you on the right path, whatever it is.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lholl36233

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 02:49:52 pm »
Hi Steve,

You'll love this.  On the first MRI I had 5/7, the radiologist called it normal.  The ENT found the growth and told me it was an AN.  There were 3 other doctors in the room at the same time so he preached to them, "Always read your own scans."

I'll be very interested to see the 6/9 MRI with the more detailed pictures to see if there is any change.

You can expect a long post from me on June 27.  Something to look forward to...   :D

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:51:43 pm »
Hi, Laura!

Which surgeon did you see?  Many of us around the forum have been treated in Boston (both surgically and/or with radiation).

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 02:59:52 pm »
Hi, Laura:

Well, according to your doctors, you may or may not have an Acoustic Neuroma.  Hmmmm.  This is similar to the Publisher's Clearing House 'sweepstakes' mailings that state, emphatically, that YOU may have won a zillion dollars!

Seriously,  I  hope this ambiguity can be cleared up by your June 27th doctor visit.  Like many others, I'll look forward to your post-visit message explaining everything.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lholl36233

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 03:17:30 pm »
I saw Mr. Moser at UMASS in Worcester.  I liked him alot.  I've been calling his office everyday to make sure he received the MRI and CT from Mass Eye and Ear.  If Dr. Moser doesn't have the MRI and CT tomorrow, Mass Eye and Ear is getting another call from me.   :D

I fully expect him to confirm the AN diagnosis on June 27.  On the remote chance it was just an inflammation, I want to make sure the ENT knows about it so he'll think twice before he tells someone for a fact their hearing will go even if it is just one ear...