Author Topic: Postie question for all about hearing, radiosurgery, Baha, transear, hearing aid  (Read 7150 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Mary -

was your doctor's appointment today?  Did you get to try the BAHA demo?  Any feedback?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Richey

Mary, I had gamma knife in 05 and lost my hearing on the left side gradually over a few months. I have been wearing a bi-cross system for over a year and a half and it is a great help. The hearing in my good is is very good and normally would not use an aid but with the cross system they programmed a little help on the good side too. It helps with the sounds that you miss on your deaf side but of course it's still going in that one side so it's no help with directional hearing and sometimes in crowded  rooms it just adds to the confusion of SSD but you can turn it off or lower the volume.

I have had some problems with am radio station interference in some places but it's manageable.

I also got a second set of aids from the VA which are suppose to be the best on the market, phonak but I have had trouble getting them right. they do have good sound quality but have had trouble with them being too loud all the time or not loud enough when changed. They are behind the ear models and are a little more hardware to carry around than my other which are in the ear and are made by Interton

I tried a transear too but was very uncomfortable and I got little sound transfer from it. Could be that with someone with more experience may have been able to get it to work better as the audio guy said that it was the first one he had ever ordered.

I have considered baha but never made the decision on that option

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Good information, Richey! Thank you!  :)

Jan, thank you for remembering my appointment, wow! I have had the demo at the ANA meeting. It was most impressive. Here is my update for all:

I had an appointment Friday with the surgical doctor. It was an information gathering appointment. I copied and pasted an emaii I sent friends and family:

Yin Yang, balance…..whatever you want to call it. Life is all about the balance. Without the unwelcome challenges how could we appreciate the surprise joys in life? So I am sitting on the curb watching for my ole friend joy. It is always there, sometimes it hides better than others. I do like to look at the world as my glass is half full, because it is!  :)

I very much appreciate all the people out there struggling with their own issues, many people have much worse problems and my heart and prayers go to them. They give me the gift of knowing and balancing the reality of my situation. I am blessed.

Yesterday was a difficult day. First, I was dizzier than normal. Then my doctor appointment with the surgeon was in the late afternoon when I usually get worse.

Here is what he had to say:

Hearing

• My varying hearing is not uncommon (between bad and worse). I have had this since pre-ck
• A BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) is an option for me and may be a good one. He really likes it and knows of many radiosurgery patients who have gone this route.
• He is not crazy about Transear. If I go that route, I will need to find someone else (of course, he is a surgeon, not a hearing aid dispenser.) He said many find it uncomfortable.
• He informed me the Cross Aid (sp?) may be another option. It requires hearing aids in both ears. In the bad ear the signal is picked up and transmitted to the receiver in the good ear.
• There is no hurry, we can wait until November to see where I at my follow-up MRI to see what we will do

Balance

• He witnessed how dizzy I am.
• He said because I have 24% left of my balance in the bad side, my brain is always trying to balance it with my good side through inputs from my vestibular nerves (one with the tumor). The signals vary so it is always adjusting, making me dizzy. This may get better, could get worse, could stay the same, could go almost away. That narrows things down for me – LOL. I have more issues with dizziness than the "average" AN patient, but at the same time it isn't unusual
• He wants me to continue with the balance exercises, push myself further (which is hard to do when you are not sure of your ability to stay upright, never mind trying to do something in addition at the same time!)
• I need to wait until November to have my balance reassessed to see what is happening then - sound familiar?
• When I asked about the labrinthectomy, he agreed it would get rid of the dizziness as being a major issue for me. He said it could be an option down the line. THEN the bomb dropped…..he said if he does it, what he would recommend is doing the Translab surgery and taking out the tumor! He is the same doctor that recommended CK before treatment. Surgery is just what I avoided by doing the cyberknife! He said it would be so close to the tumor if they do the cochlea surgery I could be free of the thing, in addition. The only big danger in that is the facial nerve. (AND the major surgery involved.) I think I like being dizzy and hearing is overrated. I did CK to try to preserve my facial nerve. That is one of the scariest side effects to surgery to me.
• He remarked, referring to my exceptional level of dizziness, and some worsening since CK that sometimes cybernife does make this worse. Without my dizziness, I wouldn’t have been diagnosed with my tumor as early.
• I may have more severe dizziness also because I had the entire dosage in one treatment instead of the three we were initially scheduled to do when I still had hearing to save.

I had heard from a wonderful little birdie that perhaps very low dosage valium twice a day would take the edge off of the dizziness. I was going to ask him about that and forgot!!!!!!! I feel DUMB! If I don't get relief soon from these exercises, I will call and ask. I can't wait until November. I will work like crazy to get on top of it, though.

My hero, Weldon took me on a date last night for a great dinner out. That was the medicine I really needed. Spending the evening with my sweetie! Today he is driving to Texas to see his Dad. He will return on the 29th. When he comes home, he will have the 2 grandkids with him!

Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

cmp

I think I like being dizzy and hearing is overrated.

:D

It sounds like it was a pretty emotionally confusing appointment for you, Mary--no wonder you forgot to ask about a low dose of valium to help with dizziness. (Why not follow up with a call? I got so discombobulated when my neurosurgeon, at my first visit there, suggested I investigate radiosurgery--not at all what I was expecting--that I forgot to ask the questions I had written down and couldn't even remember some of what he'd said clearly. I sent him an email the day after and he was quite gracious about clearing things up for me).

I really hope you are able to address your dizziness through vestibular excercises and perhaps medication and won't have to go the surgery route again. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Glad your dinner date lifted your spirits a bit!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Thank you, cmp....I really appreciate your input. I am back into sponge mode.  :)

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

janz

Dear Mary,
have been reading this thread for a couple days and very interested too in what people have chosen to do after CK or GK.
It will be 2 years in August when I had GK. I had 65% speech discrimination and at my last appt, it was down to 20%. Although I have lost hearing I am happy to report that no growth has shown on the followup MRIs. My ENT suggested BiCross or BAHA. He said it will be up to me when the hearing (or lack of ) becomes bothersome. It certain situations I do miss hearing and try to position myself so my good ear is available. At times I think it bothers my family more than it bothers me. I have thought about this fall after my next folllow up appt to investigate the hearing devices.

Sounds like you had an overwhelming DR's appt-my thoughts are with you.
Janet

2 cm AN diagnosed April 2006
Gamma Knife August 2006
Dr. Lunsford, University of Pittsburgh

cindyj

Hey Mary,

I sent you a PM yesterday...at least I think/hope I sent it...let me know if you got it.  It's highly possible I didn't hit the right button!

Thinking of you alot,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings