Author Topic: Syl's surgery update  (Read 28972 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Syl's surgery update
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2008, 02:07:24 pm »
Syl-

I can't say I ever thought about where my vestibular nerve ended up!!  My skull, thankfully, was glued back together so I've still maintained possession of that!

Meanwhile, the heck with that - YAHOO for you and the hearing!!!  I am thrilled for you!!!  Please enjoy some stereophonic sounds for me, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2008, 03:42:33 pm »
Syl;

Congratulations on the return of your hearing!

O.K., I know it's not 100%, but that is such an exciting development that it's worth celebrating.  I'm sorry you continue to suffer with other post-op issues, but I hope and pray that they'll go the way of your initial hearing loss.  If Retrosigmoid approach AN surgery is a gamble, you just won!  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2008, 03:55:20 pm »
HI Syl!!!
I am so excited for you that your hearing is improving!!!  That is fantastic news and I am THRILLED for you!!!!!  My hearing is now completely gone in my AN ear but i am still looking forward to the day I can have the BAHA surgery.  I'm so glad it looks like your hearing is coming back.  Like Jan said, there's nothing like the real thing!  Ciongratulations!!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2008, 04:32:50 pm »
Syl;

Congratulations on the return of your hearing!

If Retrosigmoid approach AN surgery is a gamble, you just won!  :) 

Jim

I certainly do feel like a winner. Prayers, well wishes, and good vibes do work. Thank you so much to all for them.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

sgerrard

« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2008, 06:46:52 pm »
Hi Syl,

I don't know if you would wait this long after surgery, but after CK radiation, I waited 6 months for the hearing to stabilize, before getting a hearing aid. They are pretty adjustable, so it is okay if your hearing continues to change a little bit gradually, but it makes sense to wait long enough to see what your basic level is. I am pretty used to mine now, and it produces a pretty decent "new normal" level of hearing.

As far as I know, the bits and pieces left after a surgery (leftovers? ;D) are considered possible bio-hazards, so after the pathologists have checked them out, if they don't end up pickled in a jar for a med school class, they go up in smoke in an incinerator.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Syl

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2008, 07:20:32 pm »
Steve,

Dr. Kato had recommended I wait about a year after surgery before deciding on a hearing device. I didn't realize that hearing aids are adjustable. So waiting 6 months doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Thanks for the info on surgery leftovers. I can't see a med school class getting much use out of a small skull piece. But, then again maybe they do get some use out ot it.

Syl

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2008, 05:43:55 am »
Syl,

I am very happy to hear your good news with your hearing!  You certainly must be very excited to have even a little hearing in stereo.  I hope you have continued healing with regards to your headaches and continued success with your balance--which by the way, I hope you have looked into vestibular rehab if you can.  It really speeds things up. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Syl

« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2008, 08:13:57 am »
Arushi,

I will begin physical therapy for my balance next week. I'm looking forward to that in the hopes that it will speed things up.

Syl

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2008, 08:19:02 am »
Syl,

I'm desperately trying to stay caught up with everyone's recent developments... and I saw your's... and have to give you a hearty congrats! FAB news!  My congrats to you.... and continued wellness!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LADavid

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2008, 11:15:58 am »
Syl, Wow!  Congratulations.

As a hearing aid wearer, I guess it makes some sense to wait on getting one.  They are programable to suit your hearing needs -- but I guess the difference would be in the investment you would want to make
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Syl

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2008, 11:59:39 am »
LA David,

How expensive are hearing aids?

Syl

sgerrard

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2008, 12:59:04 pm »
Syl,

My hearing aid was 2500, bought through an audiologist, which is more expensive than off the Internet, but you get more support with it. The range is probably 1000 - 3000, and probably 1500 minimum for a digital one. Not cheap, but if you wear one for five years, the annual cost is pretty reasonable. People pay more for their cell phone in that amount of time.

There are some different types (behind the ear, in the ear, open receiver, power receiver, etc.). The amount of boost you need dictates which kind is most suitable, and you want one that can be turned up further, in case your hearing level declines over time. That is probably the main reason to wait a little while first.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Syl

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2008, 03:04:15 pm »
Thanks, Steve

It appears that there are many options. It's good to know.
Syl

Syl

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2008, 10:58:18 pm »
Hi, everyone

Good news! I went to Marine World on Saturday with a group of people. I didn't get on any rides--just walked around alot with my cane handy, saw some of the shows, and took lots of sitting breaks. I was out there a total of about 9 hours. I was fine until the very end when it was time for our group to gather before we headed home. While some of us waited a dj played very loud music that gave me a headache. I happened to have earplugs handy, but I still haven't got the hang of inserting them in my ears. So I had to go wait away from the music.

The trip to the park was about 1 hr 20 mins. Up until then, any car ride felt like rollercoaster ride. Well, not anymore. That car ride was the smoothest since my surgery. So I decided that I could begin driving, and the following day I did just that. I'm happy to say that it's a great feeling getting back my independence and not having to rely on rides from others. For now, I'm only driving locally but it sure feels great.

I have more good news. On Sunday and today I was out and about town and I haven't been using my cane. I also went walking my usual pre-surgery route of 3 miles with my sister and without my cane. I feel good right now, but will not be surprised if tomorrow isn't such a good day.

Syl

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2008, 11:04:58 pm »
Syl -

lots of very good news!  It sounds like your recovery is right on target. 

Small steps lead to bigger steps - and the progress you're making is wonderful  ;D

Thanks for sharing this with us,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways