Author Topic: Good luck, Carrie  (Read 4497 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Good luck, Carrie
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:52:39 pm »
Carrie -

I noticed that a few people wished you well on your upcoming surgery on another thread, but I thought it would be nice to give you a thread all your own - you certainly deserve it  :)

Good luck on Tuesday.  My thoughts and prayers will be with you.  I hope this is your final AN surgery.

I, and everyone else here I'm sure, will be anxiously waiting for your husband to update us.  Please let him know that we are so thankful he will be doing this.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

Re: Good luck, Carrie
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:37:39 pm »

Carrie -

I am with Jan in wishing you good luck and hoping this will be your final AN surgery.  It's bad enough you had to do this once before, I truly hope this time takes care of your AN once and for all.  Wishing you all the best.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 07:54:50 am »
Good luck, Carrie..  Thank your hubby for keeping us posted. 

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 08:13:23 am »
Best of luck, Carrie. I am hoping your surgery will go really well, recovery will be smooth and fast and your personal life will work out as well. We are all voting for you!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 08:23:48 am »
Blessings to you, your caregivers and most importantly your doctors and nurses who will use their skills with perfection giving you a successful outcome and bright future!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

cmp

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 08:30:32 am »
thanks so much for your support and kind words, everyone! (And I hope this is my last surgery too, Jan...  ;) )

I am amazingly jittery today--more so than earlier this month, when it was also 3 days before surgery. I guess now there's some added antsy-ness over the 1-in-a-1000 chance something will come up and I'll get bumped again! All in all, though, the extra time to organize hasn't been so bad. I had my mother over for a special Friday night dinner yesterday, went for a nice breakfast and yard-saling with my husband this morning, and will be hangin' with him and my kids (probably a movie and kayaking, as well as my son's requested "last meal" in a Japanese restaurant, before he has to put up with a month of sleepaway camp grub!)

This forum has been such a incredible help, so many times... Thank you all for being part of it--it's a truly one-of-a-kind community, and I'm so deeply grateful for it!

Carrie

5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 09:53:55 am »
Carrie:

I'm so gratified to learn that the forums have been such a benefit to you.  That validates their existence. 

I'll just add that, like so many others, my thoughts and prayers will be with you on Tuesday as you go into surgery (again). 

Enjoy the weekend with your family and we'll look forward to your husband's posts on your behalf, then yours as we see you on 'the other side' (of surgery) as a 'double-postie':)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 10:17:08 am »
Carrie~
We are leaving in a few minutes to go hang out in Branson and then pick our girly UP from camp so I'm glad that Jan started this thread early so I could wish you GOOD LUCK!  You will be in my thoughts and prayers (& all of your family & friends having to wait).

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:45:27 am »
Yes, good luck, Carrie!  Hoping with everyone else this puts an end to your AN for good.  Enjoy your family this weekend and that Japanese meal!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:58:20 am »
Oops, Carrie!  Almost forgot about your son being away while you are having surgery.

I hope that you, your son, and the camp director were able to come up with a solution that will work for all of you.  I think that you did, but sometimes there are so many posts on the forum that I lose track; my apologies.

Anyway, I hope your son has a great time at camp and that he doesn't worry unnecessarily about you.  Maybe your husband would be good enough to give us a little update on your son when he gives us updates on you.  Those of us with children - and even those without - would sure appreciate it.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and your son's "last meal" - very cute way to phrase it  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tamara

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 12:05:30 pm »
Carrie -
  I am finding it hard to find words to express how amazing and brave you must be to be doing this again.  May you experience peace and healing at a record pace.

Hugs,
Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 12:26:22 pm »
Carrie-

You will be accompanied by many, many prayers and good wishes as you head into surgery next week - and we'll all be waiting right here for you.  Be well, and try to be as peaceful as you can.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 12:29:10 pm »
Best of luck on your surgery.  I'm sorry you have to go through it again.  I'll be praying for you, your family and your medical team.  I have high hopes for a speedy recovery :)
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 01:20:08 pm »
More good wishes, Carrie. As the conductor says, once more with feeling. I hereby pronounce that this shall  be the last time. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cmp

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 09:33:22 pm »
thank you all, so much!

Jan--yes, we did work out the camp drop-off dilemma, thank goodness. The camp director (making a very helpful exception to the usual "no phone calls to campers" policy) has invited both my husband and me to call my son at camp with updates and reassurance; they'll page him whereever he is, and get him to the phone. So he won't be wondering how I am, and we won't be wondering about how he's doing with the wondering! The director also suggested we play it be ear, and if Dylan turns out to be overly worried on drop off day, not bring him for a day or two till he's had a chance to visit with me and be reassured I'll be OK (but so far it looks like he'll be ok with starting on the designated day). I will certainly ask my husband to include Dylan in his updates! (And thanks for asking about him...)

Tam--I'm many things right now, but I'm not at all sure "brave" is one of them!

though all the kind words and good wishes here are certainly making me feel stronger...  :)
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!