Author Topic: post-surgery email to family and friends. copied here.  (Read 3233 times)

calimama

post-surgery email to family and friends. copied here.
« on: June 22, 2008, 08:07:33 pm »
Hi all...

I thought i would post here my first post-surgery email to friends and family. I sent it only yesterday...
This followed regular updates from my hubbie post surgery. I thought some of you might be interested in a long read.

BTW - i do seem to have some hearing still on the left side. I wonder if it will improve a bit still? It seems better today than 2 weeks ago?!

More soon...

Trish

dearest friends and family...

i am sorry it has taken me so long to get out this email... at least Fabian was in touch in the early days.

so i am doing pretty well considering... right now my key complaints are an eye that won't close and double vision. my mouth (lips really) is without movement on the left side, not attractive (and tough to eat a sandwich) but compared to eye issues, this seems minor at this point.my dazzling smile is gone (ok, i liked it) but should return once the facial nerve recovers from the trauma. this can take many months, a long slow recovery, but the doctors seemed confident that i will recover in good time. in the meantime, i have to put drops in my eyes (i think the tearing function is also affected) and since i cannot blink my eye is prone to drying out. right now i am wearing a horrible black patch (prirate style) because the does not seem to be such a thing as an eye patch that looks nice (or at least not black). the patch protects my eye (from Cali!) and blocks out vision on the left which eliminates the double vision. i have started to tape my eye closed at night which i think will help a lot to ease eye strain. i did see an opthamologist last week, but she was not very helpful so i am hoping to find another one soon. i understand there may be some kind of temporary eye weight that i can use til the eye closes on its own. i need to rest my eye a lot during the day... and the only way to keep the left eye closed is to close the right one and manually close the left. as soon as the right opens, pop, so does the left. it's quite annoying and a little sore, but this is a very common side effect from this surgery so i was mentally prepared to deal with this. basically it looks like i had a stroke, but thankfully i did not.

i am pretty sure i am deaf in the left ear, which was also very likely and as many of you, my hearing was not great in that ear anyway... a symptom of the tumor. this was the case for several years now. i also had/have tinnitus which is a kind of noise/ringing in the left ear. i actually think this might be a little better than before. i understand that many people who have this surgery actually end up deaf and get bad tinitus, which seems really unfair. i will adjust to the hearing issue, but will probably not be frequently night clubs etc where it is really noisy. luckily i have had my fill of these over the years!

ok, so for the good news... i am feeling quite fine, although i do rest a lot during the day and have the luxury as i am off work indefinitely, at least until my eye issues resolve enough that i can sit in front of the computer and drive a car! the doctors had said to plan for 3 months, and that i might have balance issues (the tumor was on the left balance nerve, which they cut when they remove the tumor). while the first few days in hospital i was dizzy and couldn't even roll over in bed without getting the spins, this seems to have totally resolved so this is good news. i had very little pain associated with the surgery or recovery. Of course i was on pain killers for a few days, and got sent home with a big bottle of percasets (sp?) but i took a few of those (even though advils do the trick) and the last one made me feel so light headed and sick i have sworn off them. i am not suffering from headaches which i understand can be a problem for people, and just take the odd advil or two if i feel any thing at all. i am not a pill popper generally but these seem like the times for it. i can now eat OK, the first few days in hospital i was on fluids and then ate yogurt and soft things. more good news, i lost about 8lbs over 7 days in hospital, and NO the tumor did not weigh that much. so i am now even a few pounds below where i was when i got pregs.

the surgery was long as fabian told everyone and i did end up with a sore spot on my hip and some numbness on right trunk. this will fix in time. it does not hurt so i pretty ignore it.

fabian was an angel over these weeks and took good care of cali while i was away. during the first week he would drop my mom (angel #2) off at the hospital, then drop cali to daycare and then go to work. at the end of the day he would get cali, mom, go home, and even came back to see me in the evenings a few nights. he slept in the chair in ICU the first night and held the tray while i vomitted (continously) nothing at all... i guess from the aneasthia (sp?). he stayed another night (in the chair) during the week when i got moved to a private room. despite my rather hideous appearance (cyclops, medussa, 2 staples in my forehead, etc) and lack of hygiene (it was several days before i got a decent wash!) he told me i looked good and was very sweet. even now i am doing much better but still have this half paralysed face and he does not seem phased. he puts eye drops in for me, eye ointment at night, antibots on my incision (which was much cooler before the doctor removed the 40+ staples), and got the bathroom all set up for me (shower chair and hand rail). I had a walker in hospital although i did not leave my bed much and he got me one for home, but i quickly left it in the corner even though i think he thought it was kind of cute. luckily we have a small bungalow so i get around pretty good and can just use the walls is i need to.

I would not have survived the hospital if not for my mom. she stayed two nights with me (second and third, shared room, then private). she has worked in a hospital so she is comfortable in the environment, perhaps a little too much even... the first night she decided the chair was no good and went off and found a pad from a stretcher in the hallway. at one point in the night i woke up and she was snoring. i figured out that she was sleeping on the floor. i didnt realize she was on a thick pad until the morning when the nurses came in and gave her **** (like she cared). she slept well! after 4 days of fluids and jello i was getting hungry and she got them to start bringing me food and brought up things for me from the food court. she helped me get to the bathroom, shower, walk around. around day 6 i was like mom i gotta get outta here they are trying to kill me (lack of food and help to eat, noisy, interruptions all night). i think i was the youngest person on the floor, but we were all in pretty rough shape. i feel bad for anyone going in there without the help of family. i am so grateful. when not on duty with me, mom was home helping with cali and cooking, cleaning laundry. an angel.

i had only a visitors in hospital which was fine as they were not my best days. i did receive many flowers, cards, emails, calls, texts, fruit baskets, books, even clothes for cali !! thank you all for thinking of me during these times. for those of you who said prayers (and i know some of you are well connected!) i thank you too.

my dad and colleen arrived from arizona a week before my surgery and also came to see in hospital and have been close by and have taken me here and there since i have been home.

fabian's parents arrived early last friday morning so they have been so helpful this past week. fabian has had to work and i can't look after cali on my own so they have been helping with her (happily!) and helping around the house. they will be here til July 24 i think. they were expecting warmer weather, but i am sure this will come. they are so happy with little Cali.

speaking of Cali, it was tough to be away from her for a week, but i really need the time for me. fab's brought her to the hospital on saturday and she looked so big and cute. i think she was a little scared of me (not surprisingly) and confused. in a week she became daddy's girl, but i am recovery lost ground fast. she has been sick these past few days (fever, bronchitis, ear infection) and not eating much. she had her 15 month appt on thursday but could not get shots cuz she was sick. she is on antibots now and doing better. never a dull moment. she started walking when i came from hospital and has somehow got even cuter than before. she is sooooo awesome. very spoiled.

what else....

well i am sorry it has taken me so long and there are many people who i owe calls to. i dont have access to the computer during the day and usually by the night i just need to rest my eye.

a few of the people on this list are new friends who i have met on the internet... girls who have had the same type of tumor as i had and have had surgery and/or radiation to deal with it. they and many others on the ANA forum helped me through the months before my surgery... and i am grateful for their wisdom and support in getting through this.

i will meet with the neurosurgeon again in a month and will hopefully be doing a little better by then. i understand he left a bit of the tumor (as we had discussed) as it was too adhered to the facial nerve and there was a real risk of permanent damage (paralysis) if removed it all. the bit that is left may not grow, but if it does, it will be very and i may or may not deal with it down the road. the tumor was actually quite large but did not really present any issues for me (other than hearing loss and tinitus) because it was in the space between my brain and ear canal. They "acoustic neuroma" tumors most often grow in the canal and create many other issues (balance, facial, headaches) before they get too big because they are in a tight space. mine had lots of room to grow! anyway, i feel quite lucky that it was benign, that i was able to have successfully treated by great surgeons, and that despite the issues i am having now, i should recover in good time. again, i am so thankful to fabian and mom and all of you who supported me in one way or another.

i will try to keep in touch better, but won't access this email everyday.

I look forward to hearing from you and hearing how life is going. Well i hope!

many hugs and kisses,

love from Trish, Fabian and Cali superstar angel.
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

elderbirds

Re: post-surgery email to family and friends. copied here.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:42:34 pm »
Trish,
So glad to hear things went well for you and basically uneventful.  I am two months ahead of you (surgery April 2nd) and glad to let you know things do get better.  I too have the whole facial thing and eye thing.  the double/blurred vision went away and I was able to drive and return to work.  I still use drops and patch the eye, and yes, this is the most annoying part.  My face is getting better SLOWLY.  I try not to let it get to me and keep on going with my summer!  Wishing you well and patience for your recovery.
Hope

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:46:46 pm »
Trish -

thanks for sharing this with us.  It's a great first-hand account of what you experienced post op and I found it very interesting.  Some of the things you went through were so familiar to me - like the dizzyness, double-vision and the spins - but some of it I've never experienced like the eye and face issues.  IMO this post will be a great reference point for newbies considering surgery.

It's marvelous how your entire family - husband, mom, in-laws, etc. - rallied around you and helped not only you, but Cali, get through this.  You are blessed to have such loving people in your life.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marg

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:02:38 pm »
Hi Trish,
I just read your posts and want you to know that the recovery period may be long.... but things continue to get better.  My surgery was  about 13 months ago.  I have some facial paralysis... and it continues to slowly get better.  My eye didn't close either - boy do I remember putting in gel, and drops all day, holding the left eye closed to 'rest it' etc.  My left eye still does not close all the way when I blink - but it is not hard for me to close when I think about it..... I was soooo glad when my eye would close enough for washing my hair...but it did take several weeks to get to that stage.  One day at a time.... some improvements will happen quickly - some you will hardly notice at all.  I can't do a full smile but my face looks so much better that many people don't even notice that anything is wrong (unless I laugh really hard...and my smile is crooked).
    I did find that taking B12 vitamins helped me (my facial paralysis)  improve  more quickly than normal - my neurosurgeon said I had lots of improvements at 3 months that he hadn't seen in others until the 1 year mark.

May your progress continue and be quick.  Life is good and we are blessed to still have it.
marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 09:15:03 pm »
Trish -
I'm glad to hear you are doing better.  It sounds like although you do have issues from the surgery to deal with, you have the right attitude and I'm sure that   will help you in your recovery.  Wishing you all the best.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cmp

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 05:17:04 am »
thanks for sharing this, Trish--it must have taken you quite an effort to get it all down, but I'm sure your family and friends (including us!) are glad to have the whole story.

I hope your healing will continue at a sure and steady pace, and between your wonderful family, beautiful daughter, and terrific attitude, I don't see how it can be otherwise.

What you said about Cali being confused/scared when she first saw you rang such a bell with me. My one year old daughter burst into tears when she first saw me in the hospital! I really wasn't prepared for that (especially since she looked pretty darn good to me and I was all smiles to see her--must have been the crooked smile that put her over the top...  :-\)

I didn't have double vision after the hospital, but I relied a lot on an eye patch the first couple of months, while we were still living in New Mexico and a dry, dusty wind is pretty much the daily weather forecast, and continued using it even after we moved to Ohio (where a little kid on my block one day tugged his father's sleeve and said "Look, Daddy, a pirate!)

Good luck finding a more helpful opthalmologist. If the dry eye continues to be a big problem, maybe you would consider a punctal plug? It is a temporary procedure to help your eye retain moisture by stopping the puncta, where the tears drain; after my nerve graft, when I knew my paralysis would be permanent, I actually had the puncta permanently cauterized, and it literally changed my life!

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

lori67

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:13:07 am »
Trish, I'm glad to see you are doing well in your recovery.  I'm sure it seems unbelievably slow to you, but your body usually has a good idea of what to do to get better - the hard part is listening to it!

It's good to hear you had help from your family and I'm sure Cali and her grandparents were thrilled to spend time with each other.  My kids were 4 and 10 months when I had my surgery.  My 10 month old was a little "concerned" at the big bandage on my head at first.  The 4 year old was more worried than anything, but once she realized it was still Mommy inside the bandage, she was fine.  Now she wants to check my BAHA abuttment every day to make sure it's okay and is constantly telling me that my mouth and eye are doing much better.  The 10 month old became a real Daddy's girl too, but I have a feeling that was bound to happen anyway, since they have the same personalities.  They may be Daddy's girls, but there's still no one like Mommy!

I hope things continue to go well and your eye issues get better soon!  Hang in there.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 02:25:20 pm »
Hi, Trish:

It's really encouraging to learn how well you're doing, even with a few post-op complications which I'm sure will resolve, in time.  The support of your husband, mother and in-laws is very refreshing to read about.  It's good to know that the folks who care about us are willing to step up and do what's necessary when needed. Sadly, not all do.  I'm so pleased to read how yours did. 

Your husband sounds like a keeper.  Although your mom may have seemed a tad bit assertive, it was obviously good for you to have her in the hospital, acting as your advocate.  Calli sounds as adorable as ever and I know she'll quickly re-adjust to mommy.  I trust she'll be feeling much better, soon. Surrounded by love and attention, it's no wonder she is thriving.  :)

Your next meeting with the neurosurgeon will be interesting.  I'm sure any residual tumor material can be treated with radiation, if necessary.  As you noted, you can worry about that if and when it becomes necessary.  Not now.

Thanks for the very explanatory message Trish and the effort it must have taken for you to write it.  Your hard work is appreciated.  Please rest as much as you need and post here when you're up to it and can spare a few minutes.  We understand.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

calimama

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 07:45:05 pm »
Finally reading these replies... sorry!!

A belated but heart-felt thank you for your replies here... I posted this and then i guess i got lost somewhere and couldnt quite remember if i had posted or not. And have not had so much time to be here... but finally finding your lovely responses to my post. Thanks guys. It's hard to believe it was almost a month ago already that i posted.

I am still suffering from the same issues, although i don't have headaches, fatigue, dizziness, etc. and my wound has healed nicely and has not given me any grief (so far). Being just 7 weeks from surgery, I know i still have to exercise patience that the things i have will improve in good time.

Anyway, sorry that this thank you comes so long after your messages, but i am grateful all the same.

and Cali is madly in love with me once again, so i am happy.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 11:40:28 pm »
Trish -

thanks for the update.

Anything new with the double vision?  Just wondering if the eye doc had any suggestions on what might help.  If you posted info on this somewhere else, I apologize.

Glad to hear Cali is madly in love with you again  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 07:17:36 am »
HI Trish-

Not sure how I missed this thread earlier...  but enjoyed reading it just now.  Notwithstanding the face/eye issues, it sounds like your recovery is going very well!

I know how frustrating the eye issues are - I still have them at nearly 3 months post.  However, I just got a Blinkeze (took me two opthalmologists to find the "right" one) and I really like it!  I can now blink my eye AND I can sleep without an eye patch for the first time since surgery.  That in itself is a blessing beyond words - and one that only others dealing with facial palsy and eye problems can fully appreciate.  And, I am using about a fourth of the drops and goo that I was using before.  So, I'm a big fan of the Blinkeze, for what that's worth.

Glad you have such a loving and supportive family - that makes so much difference.

Keep us posted, and keep healing.

Debbi, sending you a blink!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

calimama

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 11:58:01 am »
Jan,

I still have not had much luck with the opthamologist (same one as first time). She did say that my eye/cornea looked pretty good, a little irritated. She said the double vision problems are muscular and i have to wear the patch and wait it out. She said only solution if it does correct is surgery, but i should wait 6months before considering. Upon searching for double vision on this site, it seems that many who suffered from this (past the first few days) were advised of surgery as an option after 1 year. I am still hopeful that it will correct on its own (only 7 weeks post surgery as of tomorrow) but may consider getting eye glasses (which i dont wear now) with special prism as temp solution.

one day at a time...

Debbi, thanks for your thoughts. I was just checking out your blinkeze update and photos. Great stuff.

Trish

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 11:34:51 pm »
Trish -

thanks for the double-vision update.  I'm sorry you didn't have a lot of luck with the opthamologist, but I hope she's right and that the eye patch corrects the problem.

You are still in the early weeks of recovery, so hopefully the problem will solve itself.

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:05:57 pm »
Trish,
Glad to hear that you are doing better.  Patience is key in recovery from what I've seen here.  I hope things go smoothly for you.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

satman

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 03:44:55 am »
congrats,you did good girl !
now on to a speedy recovery.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !