Author Topic: How can you drive?  (Read 5111 times)

LADavid

How can you drive?
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:51:10 pm »
I'm starting to think this is just me.  I've been reading posts by all the new posties and how they've started driving.  I'm amazed.  Here I am 6 months post and I have a hard time just riding in a car with my disorientation.  It seems like I'm watching a movie instead of being involved with things around me.  I tried driving once and it was actually frightening what little control I had.  I'm beginning to think I had a frontal lobodomy as opposed to a translab.

Is there anyone who has had a major issue with driving?

David (the Public Transportation expert)
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: How can you drive?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:14:05 am »
Yes, David, after almost three years (7/28), I still have major issues.  My resonses aren't like they used to be, my neck doesn't turn like it once did and only being able to hear out of one ear is a real disadvantage.  My grand daughter drives me around.  I only drive when I absolutely have to.  My license is now restricted to daytime driving and driving with two side mirrors and or a hearing aide.  The hearing aide cracked me up!  I use a radar detector to advise me when an emergency vehicle is near and the lights it puts out does a great job!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 06:24:57 am »
Wow!  and I thought I was the only one!  It took me far longer than I had planned to feel comfortable but now am back to driving, feeling confident, and long distance.  The night driving is still scary, it can tire me just going a few blocks, so I stay home in the evening.  All I can say is you need more time, and don't compare yourself to others who are doing more than you.  As you know each of us is special.  Now isn't that good news!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 06:59:13 am »
Hi David,
  Have you tried Vestibular Retraining with a Physical Therapist? Your treatment team would know who to see.   Many people have found this to be very helpful with disorientation or "wonkyhead" issues.  All the people who still have both vestibular nerves and balance systems have no idea how much that helps them move around.  Vestibular Retraining can help the brain with the plastic relearning it needs to do now that it only has balance input from one side.  One of the things I found to be surprising is how much the vestibular system helps with vision, and eye tracking with head movement.  Vestibular Retraining helps your brain to depend less on visual input for orientation, and more on all the positioning nerves we have across the body.  And it can help retrain the brain faster, with various exercises, than the time it takes for the brain to adjust by just walking around.  As infants, it took our brains a couple of years to learn have to interpret positioning and balance input so that we could walk.  So it can take a while to relearn these things with a "new" vestibular system.  I know you have been running, I would imagine that that is helping.  It does get better with time.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:00:52 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:53:36 am »
David -  I've driven in LA - I don't think the problem is you!  I'm pretty sure the best driver in the world would feel overwhelmed there.   :D

It took me a little while, but eventually, after many small, local trips, I can handle the interstates and congested areas now.  I rely a lot on my mirrors, as turning my head can get disorienting and I'm more careful when changing lanes.  I also have trouble if i try to adjust the radio or A/C while driving, so I don't do that until I get to a stop sign.  I recently had to rent a car at Philadelphia airport and drive to downtown Philly and then an hour to my sister's house, and surprisingly, I did fine.  Anyone who is familiar with downtown Philly and the airport knows what a challenge driving there can be.

Is there a neighborhood that's not congested that you can practice driving in without having to worry about other cars?  Maybe a little practice will help and give you the confidence you need.  And we've already determined on another thread that parking within the lines is not absolutely necessary!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:14:51 am »
David -

I've been driving since about 6 weeks post op, so I don't have a lot of input on this thread.  But reading Lori's post just now reminded me of something.

When I first started driving, I couldn't listen to the radio, deal with my kids talking, etc., I needed complete and total concentration just to be able to drive at all.  I also remember that I needed to start slowly - short local trips on less-traveled roads before finding a comfort level to attempt longer trips on busier roads.

Therefore, my advice is take things slow and try to have as few distractions as you can.  Once you get past that hurdle, try longer trips with a little more noise, etc.  I think it's just a matter of getting used to your new "normal".

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 02:32:39 pm »
David:

I'm dismayed to learn of your problems with driving at six months post-op.  What an inconvenience that must be in L.A.!  You've received some good advice about Vestibular Retraining from Rob ('HeadCase 2') and the general advice to take it slow, which seems perfectly logical.  As the previous posts indicate, you're not alone with experiencing obstacles to resuming driving.  I trust that the advice you've received is helpful and will further your quest to become a respectable, motorized Los Angeles citizen once again - just as the California DMV intended.   ;)

Seriously, although I didn't experience driving problems post-op, I can certainly understand your frustration (and that of others in the same situation) and I hope your disorientation issues can be resolved, soon.  Don't give up!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lainie181818

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 06:56:13 pm »
Hi David,
Yes its terrifying at the beginning, but I actually feel a lot less dizzy when I drive. I live in the LA area so I can meet you and give you some help with this, if you need it.  Now when i drive I get all my old independence back and it feels great. I feel like I have retained some of my old life and don't even think " can I do this " anymore. I drive on the freeways, in the dark and just about everywhere. You just have to take that first Baby step.
Lainie.

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:36:33 pm »
Hey All

Thanks for the advice.  I really am trying to sort things out.  I am in vestibular PT and have been for the last month and a half.  And actually, the disorientation is getting worse.  I can't seem to get much help from my clinic.  So I thought I'd give the forum a shot.  I've been spending a lot of time on Public Transportation to get around.  With gas prices the way they are, maybe that's a good thing.  Today I travelled over 80 miles on 4 train routes and 5 bus routes for $5.  But I really shouldn't be in a car.  It's that bad.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 06:15:34 am »
The disorientation worsening for you doesn't sound right as you should be getting some relief with continued PT?!  I'm scratching my head here.  I'm wondering if you experience a bouncing sensation of your visual field while walking outside indicating oscillopsia.  Sounds like a phone call to your doc is in order.  Hoping for better days for you David. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 06:58:55 am »
Have you told your PT how you feel?             I remember reading that the PT can make you feel  worse for a while before it really started working.              I have never went to any of that type so can't compare.             I would be curious on what they think.
                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Lainie181818

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 11:30:45 am »
I always felt worse after vestibular therapy, that is normal. i also thought I was going to throw up. I was told by the therapist that this is normal and part of the healing. To me the biggest trigger is stress and not enough sleep. When I spend too much time on the computer that also makes me dizzy.so does too much caffeine. David where is your facial therapist located and are you seeing results?
Lainie.

LADavid

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 04:24:31 pm »
Thanks all.  I have a PT appoinment next Tuesday and I will address it with her then.  On the last visit, she didn't seem to think anything was unusual with me not being able to drive.  I explained it to her as a detacted disorientation.  The only time I don't have it is when I'm sitting still at home. It's not that noticible to others -- except to my daughter who is really aware of it.  She thinks it's brain damage since I can't focus and talk slow and forget what I'm saying.

And Lainie, I am seeing Theresa England in Garden Grove.  I started in May primarily for the synkinesis.  I think I'm starting to see some improvement but there are so many odd things going on with my face that it's tough to figure out what is good and bad.  And too, Theresa did say that this is at least an 18 month process so I'm not expecting any overnight miracles.  But she did say that since there is some movement, there is hope for an eventual recovery.  I'll keep you posted.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 04:42:39 pm »
David,

I couldn't even get out of bed for the first week. Week two and three I was hobbling with a cane. I took physical therapy for a vestibular\balance deficit. The therapy, and of course the passing of time did wonders for me. I'm glad to hear that you have PT set up. It is a specific therapy program that not all PT's are familiar. I didn't think that I could ever drive again.

I can't remember the first time I tried to drive but it was towards the end of my PT. I finally I mustered enough courage and confidence to go around my neighborhood very slowly. I was freaking out. The turning of the head from side to side looking for obstacles was very difficult. I walked everyday outside too. Although it felt like my eyes needed shock absorbers, I pushed on. Keep on challeging yourself, your brain, your balance muscles and you'll get there. Don't give in or up!  :)
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 04:59:51 pm »
I haven't had microsurgery, so don't know if my experience is the same...but I find that I drive better than being a passenger.  Now I know what was causing this "car anxiety" that I've had for the past several years.  But when I'm driving, that's not really the case.  Weird, but there you go.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode