Author Topic: Question on Symptoms  (Read 17774 times)

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
Re: Question on Symptoms
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 08:50:47 pm »
I must be the only one who actually enjoys my MRI's. 

I have 4 kids - to be able to lie down quietly and listen to music for 45 minutes is almost like a day at the spa!  Ok, well, maybe not that good, but close.   :D

Lori

Only one kid here, lori, but feeling the same way!! relaxing, quiet time...about fell asleep....
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Tamara

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 05:18:22 pm »
OK, do you guys have more comfy MRI tables than I do??  I'm fine with being inside the machine and could probably fall asleep were I not stuck flat on my back on a hard table.  They put rolled up towels under my knees but that did little to help my back.  I actually had a back muscle cramp while on the table, being told not to move.  I'm thinking they should let us lie on that swedish foam that they make matresses out of.  I also think that would be a good idea to lie on during surgery - it would mold to your body and let you lie on your side without wrenching your head for 8 or so hours.

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

AMD

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2008, 08:01:57 pm »
hi tammy,

The MRI table I was on had a soft little foam padding and a big pillow for under your thighs to your feet.  And, in the surgery dept. I work in....we do have those mattresses made out of the tempur-pedic foam.  Still doesn't make  it fun to go to surgery, but much better than the past  ;)
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2008, 02:35:48 pm »
I'm with Lori on ther relaxation attributes of the MRI tube, but, since my only child is almost 29, probably for different reasons.  :)

I approach the MRI scan as a necessary chore that is painless, so I take it in stride.  It helps that I'm not claustrophobic, so I don't require any drugs to tamp down anxiety.  I don't use the music because I like to think a bit while encapsulated.  Actually, the time in the MRI capsule (about 40 minutes) goes very quickly. It's kind of boring, in some ways.  Don't get me wrong...I'm quite happy to be taken out of the machine and be done with it.  It just isn't a big problem for me.  I can understand why it is for many folks, especially if you have even a hint of claustrophobia.  If Valium is needed to make the experience easier, I see nothing wrong with that.  I would take it if I needed it. I'm just glad that I don't and wish it was as easy for everyone, since MRI scans are a part of the AN patients life.

The MRI table in the facility I use is not especially supportive but they put a wedge under your thighs and knees and the head pillow is adequate.  I've never experienced any real discomfort on the table or later, because of it.  Maybe some MRI centers actually attempt to make patients comfortable while others don't try very hard...or maybe I'm just oblivious.  Could be.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2008, 05:21:06 pm »
As a musician I was fascinated with the sounds (however muffled by ear plugs) and found that as long as I concentrated on listening I was fine.  I had four of them in one week.  Don't ask.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cindyj

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2008, 05:27:51 pm »
Had my MRI follow-up MRI today - took a Valium (first one I've ever taken) - I will definitely take one for any future MRI's I may have.  I am not really claustrophobic, but just the anxiety of needing to lay that still (always get an itch, etc) does me in a bit.  I did keep my eyes closed the whole time so as not to even see that I was in very close quarters - my last MRI was an open one and this was quite different, but I did "almost" take a nap. 

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2008, 05:54:27 pm »
Paul and Lynne,
I was just rereading this thread, and it struck me that the one point that none of us made, but that we all emphatically KNOW, is that there are LOTS of doctors who have very little knowledge about or experience with acoustic neuromas.  In addition, it's my anecdotal experience that ENTs, for some reason, are particularly unknowledgeable about them and, probably because they deal with so many 'head' symptoms, they often lean towards a sinus problem, or something like Meniere's. 

I'm saying all this just to encourage you to be avid patient self-advocates and really push for an MRI with contrast if the diuretic isn't alleviating anything.  You might even have to go to a different ENT, or find an AN team near you (especially if you live near a large city) and go directly to them to get an insurance-approved RX for an MRI.

Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2008, 06:42:11 pm »
I'm with Dana on this one.  If your doctor won't "prescribe" the MRI, find a doctor that will.  Look for a neurotologist or someone who is familiar with AN's.  Be pushy if you have to.
 Good luck.
Marci (pushy by nature)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

tenai98

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2008, 02:56:48 pm »
Hi.  I have seen this term several times on this forum...What is BAHA????
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

AMD

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2008, 07:36:21 pm »
BAHA is a bone anchored hearing aid.  It can be useful for certain people with single-sided hearing loss.  From what little I know, it is kinda like a small titanium screw that goes into your mastiod bone (right behind the ear) and by bone conduction, it carries sound to your "good" ear and gives you the sense of hearing from your deaf side.  A lot of people with AN's can be good candidates.  Your neurotologist would be helpful in explaining. 

Amy  ;)
Left SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2008, 09:00:52 am »
tenai98 -

Amy is right.

Here's a link to pictures of my BAHA http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.0

And another link that explains what it is and how it works in detail.

http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NL

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2008, 03:17:58 pm »
Hi Paul and Lynne,

I have to agree with others that it would be good for your doctor to order another MRI at this point. You mentioned that your 2004 MRI was done with contrast, but I believe it's also important for the MRI to be done with a focus in the IAC (internal auditory canal).

I also have to agree with what others have said here in regards to ENT's being apprehensive about considering AN's as the source of many AN-like symptoms. Whether it be by either their lack of experience with AN's, or just a hesitancy to mention this as a possible diagnosis, I had this exerience with two different ENT's that I saw over the course of a year before I was properly diagnosed.

My initial symptom was fullness in the ear, followed about 6 months later by tinnitus. I consulted with both ENT's at the oneset of the ear fullness, and again when I got the tinnitus. Both did hearing tests at the first consultation and again 6 months later. (I had gone to see two hoping at least one could find a reason for my symptoms.) I mentioned to both at the 6 month visit that maybe it was an acoustic neuroma, since I had started doing research. BOTH of them responded that it couldn't be because my hearing was still perfect!

It was only by talking to my primary care physician that I was able to get an MRI ordered. She initially thought it might be Meniere's, but when I presented her with my packet of AN research (which she appreciated), she felt strongly about the MRI, which revealed a 1.6 cm AN. (Needless to say, both ENT's were shocked when I shared the news with them - which I did in an effort to save someone else from having a similar experience.)

I really hope that you will be able to get another MRI, and also really hope that it doesn't turn out to be an AN. But either way, know that you have found a great support system here.

All the best,

Nancy L

(Jan - I'm a little late for my nap today because I was enjoying reading the 10 page thread that starts with your BAHA pics! I may have more questions for you and other BAHA wearers out there - but that will be another topic!)
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2008, 07:33:34 pm »
Nancy L -

glad you enjoyed the BAHA reading, there are lot of other posts on the forum about BAHAs also, but feel free to start a topic and ask your questions, or PM me if you'd like.

I have to say that I continue to be amazed by my BAHA on a daily basis and think it's one of the best things I've ever done.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2008, 12:18:47 am »
I must be the only one who actually enjoys my MRI's. 

I have 4 kids - to be able to lie down quietly and listen to music for 45 minutes is almost like a day at the spa!  Ok, well, maybe not that good, but close.   :D

Lori

I know this thread is a bit old, but I happened to look at it and I'm wondering what kind of MRI do you have, because when I have mine, the darn thing is so noisy, I don't know how you can sleep or enjoy music???  I have the ear plugs in, and mine is not that uncomfortable to lay on, but the new machine they use does the procedure quicker, but it's louder, if you can believe that.  Clang, bang, thud, click, and I don't know what else goes on, but not very good for listening to music, I don't think.  I am one of the lucky ones that it doesn't bother me to have one done.  At least I can have that small victory, I guess you'd say. 

Curious Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Kaybo

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2008, 06:20:10 am »
Sue~
I'm am totally with Lori - and YES, it is VERY noisy, but just being by myself and laying down...those two things add up to relaxion and sleep!!!!!  ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!