Author Topic: living on your own with facial paralysis  (Read 2727 times)

flgi

living on your own with facial paralysis
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:24:06 am »
Hi, I'm the new member who posted about my mum(63) a few messages back.
Thanks so much for everyone's replies.
(Tony, haven't heard about Dr Johnson at the Radcliffe but will look him up. Did you have your op done at the Radcliffe?)

I have a few more questions- the main one being: do you think my mum will be able to live on her own after the facial neuroma surgery ( we have been told she will have the facial nerve cut and therefore have complete paralysis) She does currently, but i am concerned about things like applying eye ointment on her own, driving with blurred vision etc

Also, this may sound like a really odd question, but I read somewhere that having high cheekbones might help the face to droop less if paralysed?? Does this sound like rubbish or has anyone heard anything like this before. My mum does have high cheek bones and good bone structure-so any chance this may help?

Also, to those who've had the T3 surgery, do you know if there's any age limit to this surgery?

Thanks v much

Flora

Cheryl R

Re: living on your own with facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:38:03 am »
Flora, Did you see my post about asking your dr if he has the experience to take the nerve from by the ear and put in at the same time of the facial nerve surgery.                  My surgeon always tells residents who are in listening to him to do this with facial nerve surgery.
After surgery I felt no different than with the regular AN surgery and you have the usual recovery time.              it does take around 8 months when the nerve is grafted in  to have it improve but I now look ok when you look at me.     I only have some movement and not complete but is no big problem.
                    Good luck to all of you,                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

tony

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 02:44:20 am »
Some of the work was done at Bristol (Frenchay)
but the most recent was at the Radcliffe
Confusingly there are TWO oxford radcliffe`s
Mine was the big new hosp nr the Oxford ring road
(other isin the centre)
Best Regards
Tony

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:26:54 am »
Flora~
My mom is 69 now and if she had a paralyzed face (like me) and was at her current level, she would have NO trouble living by herself.  I think that, of course, she will need to be with someone right after surgery and you will just have to play it by ear.  Remember, sometimes these take a LONG time to recover from and everyone has to be PATIENT!!

I had the T3 on March 28th and LOVE it!  I really don't think that there is an age limit. but I go back to Baltimore next week so I will try to remember to ask Dr. Byrne - I really think it would be a patient by patient thing and how well she responds to surgery.  I was REALLY questioning having it done that 1st day or two and I don't even have feeling on the AN side!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:45:12 pm »
Flora:

Hi.  I have no idea whether high cheekbones help diminish the effects of facial droop if the nerve is damaged or compromised.  It sounds possible, if not probable.  I would suggest you ask the doctor.

Your Mum's being able to live on her own should not really be affected by facial paralysis issues but as K suggested, she would certainly need some assistance immediately post-op, say, for a few weeks, depending on whether she experienced any complications and how quickly she healed/recovered. 

I was 63 when I had my AN surgery and was driving again in two weeks and resumed normal activity within 4 weeks of my surgery, then went for radiation treatments a few months later.  Every AN patient is unique as are surgical outcomes and the patients recovery time. 

Sorry, no information on the T3 surgery but I doubt being 63 years old would preclude the operation, unless your Mum had other negative health issues.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.