Author Topic: Scheduled my surgery and am shaking like a leaf  (Read 4107 times)

JerseyGirl2

Re: Scheduled my surgery and am shaking like a leaf
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 07:50:57 pm »
Hi,
I had trans-lab surgery at House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent Medical Center exactly 6 months and 2 days ago. Dr. House and Dr. Schwartz were my surgeons. Everyone with whom I dealt at House, St. Vincent's, and the Seton Guest Center were outstanding -- very professional and compassionate. I live in New Jersey and am delighted that I made the trip to LA. I was quite fortunate in that I experienced absolutely no nausea, dizziness, facial, or vision problems before or after my surgery; my only symptom prior to AN diagnosis was gradually diminished hearing. I don't know how unusual this is, but that's the way it was with me. My main post-operative issue was extreme fatigue. It improved gradually over the course of time; at five months post-surgery I was feeling almost back to normal. I can (almost) honestly say that now, 6 months out, I seldom think of my surgery except when I'm on this forum. I should also mention that I received my BAHA implant at the time of surgery. I started wearing the processor about a month ago (I have the Intenso model) and am happy with it. Since my brain had already adjusted quite well to my virtual SSD prior to surgery, it's taking a while -- probably a bit longer than those whose hearing loss was quite sudden -- for it to learn yet another version of hearing!!! Best wishes as you approach your surgery. Know that you are in very capable hands and will receive the absolute best of care.
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

cmp

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 09:00:31 am »
Welcome, Marci and JerseyGirl2. I hope you'll both consider starting your own threads, so as many folks as possible will be aware you've come aboard!

JerseyGirl2--It sounds like you did fabulously! So glad to hear it, and glad to hear that your adjustment to the BAHA is coming along. It must be wonderful to be starting to feel like your surgery was a long time ago, even though, of course, it wasn't very long ago at all! That's a really wonderful sign... I had surgery myself on 6/24, and boy will I be delighted when my energy level bounces back to its normal quasi-manic level...

Marci--I'm so glad you've found us and are finding these forums a source of strength and support. Glad to hear, too, that your husband and son are being so caring! Please do keep us posted, and do come back to ask any questions that may come up for you.

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 10:11:58 am »
Ok Carrie, I started my own thread.  Thank you for the support.  You've just recently had surgery.  How are you?
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.