Author Topic: staple removal  (Read 5259 times)

Tamara

staple removal
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:53:10 pm »
Ok, I'm not usually a wuss, but I've got about 25 staples in my head, not to mention numerous sutures AND a liberal (and I mean liberal) application of glue.  I THINK I'm getting the staples removed tomorrow by the otologist, and the neurosurgeon (seen on Tuesday) says he "thinks it might be quite a project".  Does it hurt to have staples removed??  My husband does a lot of woodworking and all I can think of is "staple puller".  The neurosurgeon suggested trying to pick off as much glue as I can, so I've been doing that, but even that hurts  :-\ as I'm pretty much pulling out my 1/2 " hair along with it....

Ouch,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

cmp

Re: staple removal
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 02:05:31 pm »
I hope you get a reassuring answer on this soon... I only had sutures, and getting them removed wasn't uncomfortable at all. Literally all I felt was a sensation of tugging.

Maybe the "project" comment referred mainly to the length of time the process is likely to take (25 staples is a lot!)

Keeping my fingers crossed for you,
Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Kathleen5306

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 02:07:15 pm »
Tammy

When I had staples taken out for my first brain surgery in 1996 I was very worried.  I told the neurosurgeon that I was scared and he said "Well, we've already taken out the first one while you were talking."  I was very relieved.  It went a-okay after that!

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 02:46:49 pm »
I had stitches (spitting and regular as it turned out) and was completely freaked out when I went to get them removed - I felt nothing!  Perhaps the overall head numbness serves a useful purpose after all.  Strangely, though, I could always feel my hair pulling when I took the dressings off my head.  Weird that I could feel hair being yanked out, but not stitches. 

If it turns out to be at all uncomfortable, though, he can probalby give you a shot of Lidocaine to numb the area.  My Neuro did that for me when he cleaned out the incision when I got the infection. 

Let us know how it goes, okay? 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 06:06:18 pm »
Hi, Tammy

I had 15 staples removed, and it didn't hurt at all because the area was numb. It hurt more to remove the rubberband that held up my hair during surgery. Relax, it'll be ok.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 06:49:48 pm »
I had dissolvable stitches, so I can't speak to that directly.  But, when I had my c-section, I was terrified to have my many staples removed--and I didn't feel a thing :)

I hope you don't either ;)
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

waypoint

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:49:58 pm »
It doesn't hurt hardly at all. If you remember how you feel when your leg falls asleep and the blood rushes back and you get that pins/needles feeling. At the worst it may feel like that for a split instanteous second. normally, it doesn't even hurt at all. I had alot of staples, I'm thinking around 40+ staples. Fretting over it was more stressful than the actual procedure. Bottom line, don't even worry about it.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

lori67

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:32:05 pm »
I had a lot of staples too, and I was worried about getting them out, but I have to say, if I ever have a choice when getting put back together, I'd would chose staples over sutures anytime.  I have always hated the pulling feeling of the sutures coming out but with the staples, I didn't feel a thing.  Now, mind you, I didn't have any crazy glue or other crazy stuff in there, but I'm sure they took into consideration when they patched you up that they'd have to eventually take the staples out.

Good luck!  You'll do fine!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Micky

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 11:45:24 pm »
Gday

I had 40 plus staples removed eight days after surgery did not hurt one bit, a little sting on a couple but nothing to worry about, i was more interested talking to the good looking nurse that was taking them out LOL take care

3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

Tamara

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 05:54:08 pm »
Staples, stitches, and glue are gone! :D  That's the good news.  The bad news is that, while the unglued staples weren't particularly painful, the glued stapled hurt like....well, like the d***ens.  Are any of you old enough to remember Dan Ackroyd's impersonation of Julia Child on SNL (Oh, that hurts like the d***ens!)??  Fortunately (or not, haven't decided), that was only about a third of them.  I think the glue was what made this a project (about 40 minutes) - sort of like a craft project in reverse...

Stapleless, Stitchless, almost glueless (a few remnants),
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 07:18:32 pm »
I'm glad it all (well, almost all) came out well for ya.  That must feel better.  I know it felt good when I had my sutures out finally!  It stinks that some of them hurt coming out, but you are best for it all.  Congrats on this milestone!  Continued healing!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

cmp

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 07:25:57 pm »
Sorry it turned out a bit more painful than you were anticipating, Tammy. Hope the upgrade to a shampooable head makes it worthwhile in the end, though, and that those glue remnants are soon a bad memory!

:)
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Tamara

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 07:32:57 pm »
Hey, what I typed in wasn't obscene - but I got astericks when I spelled out D I C K E N S - hope this comes through, otherwise what I wrote makes no sense...

Hmm, we'll see what posts this time
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08

cmp

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 08:43:51 am »
Are you saying that your computer censored your post when you didn't use caps for "d***ens"? (I just typed it in myself, experimentally!)

If so, what a highly proper machine!  :D

cmp

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 08:44:59 am »
I just got the asterisks, too, Tammy!

That is just hilarious...