Author Topic: radiation for residual tumor after surgery  (Read 2394 times)

Barzini

radiation for residual tumor after surgery
« on: July 14, 2008, 03:29:13 pm »
First post for this newbie, whose been lurking for hours. Amazingly helpful forum!

Anybody have radiation (ck or gk) after microsurgery because of residual tumor left behind by choice to save facial nerve? Would be grateful if you shared your story.

--Barzini (It was only after surgery that I realized it was Barzini causing all the trouble all along...)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: radiation for residual tumor after surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:14:55 am »
Wanted to respond to your post as I'm up early this a.m.  I know Jim Scott has had surgery to debulk his large tumor and radiosurgery to qwell the leftovers and as of today is doing well.  Do a "search" for him and I know you will be hearing from him shortly too.  There are others on the forum who have had similar treatment and will be popping in shortely with a response. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 12:04:28 pm »
Barzini:

Hi and welcome.  Glad the site and forums have been useful to you.

As Arushi indicated, I had a 4.5 cm AN and the approach was to debulk (cut down) the tumor and avoid damaging the facial nerve.  That was successful and I came through the 9-hour surgery basically intact with no real complications.  So far, so good.  Then, after a 90-day 'healing period', I underwent carefully plotted FSR treatments.  Basically low-dose radiation (26 20-minute sessions) aimed directly at the remaining tumor.  No problems there, either. Now , two year post-op, my symptoms are gone and I'm fine.  I have my 2-year MRI on Friday and expect continued good news (tumor shrinkage/necrosis).  We'll see. 

I had a very good experience with this 2-stage treatment and on that basis, I recommend it - but the decision must be made between you and your doctor.  I hope this info helps.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Barzini

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 05:54:46 pm »
Hi friends,
Can't thank you enough for the valuable info. The cyberknife support site is fine--got quick answers to my questions from the docs! I see the way: have appt with radiation therapist recommended here in 3 wks.
Hope you've gotten good news, Jim!
Barzini