Author Topic: Surgery- August 6, 2008  (Read 3406 times)

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
Surgery- August 6, 2008
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:02:04 pm »
Hi to all,
     I have been on this forum, off and on, for about a year.  I was diagnosed with a AN in Feb. of 2007.  I went to Darthmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH and was followed every month with MRI"s, Audio, Neurologist, and ENTl  Recently after my MRI they decided that it was growing, and thought it's time to do surgery.  I'm scheduled for August 6, 2008 at 6AM. I have SSD on the left side, balance problem.

I read a lot of your stories and suggestions.  I feel that I am ready now with knowing all of the information.  Thank you for doing this forum, I have been a silent partner, but am grateful that you're here for everyone.

I'm 64 years old, widowed, my two daughters live in NY and Arizona.  They are both going to be with me the day of my surgery at DHMC in Lebanon, NH.  My surgeon have done a lot of AN surgeries and also went to China last fall to teach the doctors there how to do this surgery.
Today was my pre-op.  I live an hour from the medical center, so have to travel some.

I have  a very bad back, almost no discs left from neck down, fibromyalsia, osteoarthritis etc......Have been through many therapies etc.....
I made sure that they will be cautious during surgery to take care of my back also.....I'm on a lot of medications as of now. Have been on WC for many years and now on SSD. also on Long Term Dissability.  I have had a lot to deal with. 

Well I hope I haven't bored you all with this, but thought it was time to introduce myself after a year.  Marci, good luck tomorrow for your surgery, you're in my prayers.

Thank you to all of you who keeps giving us hope with dealing with our AN.  I'll keep you posted!

Sue L/NH 

SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery- August 6, 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:35:19 pm »
Sue -

glad you decided to introduce yourself.  It sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now and I'm glad you've found this forum helpful.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.  I see it's already been added to our AN Calendar.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

elliemae

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 05:38:49 pm »
Hi, Sue
Greetings from over the state line in MA.  I wish you all the best for you operation in August....coming soon!

My best friend since first grade (a veryyyy long time ago! And also named Sue...) works at DHMC, and since I know she would only work somewhere superb, I trust you're in great hands there!

We'll all be thinking of you.
Elaine

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:37:42 pm »
Hi Sue,

Welcome back on the forum, and thanks for the update on your surgery. We are super organized now, so David will be starting a topic on Sunday Aug 3rd, where we can all wish you well on your surgery. I hope you get to look in at least once before your surgery date. I also hope we stay organized that long.  ;)

Meanwhile, just in case, best wishes on your surgery, I hope they take care of your back, and that your recovery is gentle and uneventful.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kathleen5306

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 08:50:45 pm »
Sue-

My surgery is the week before you on July 30.  I will be putting all my best wishes to you and will share with you what I can on my experience.  I have been so strengthened to learn from my fellow AN-ers and to be inspired by their courage, focus and determination.  When I am feeling down and sad, I come here and I realize I will be okay.  I hope you get that same support and God-speed in your recovery. 

All the best,

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Jackie

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:46:13 pm »
Hello Sue,

May I take this time to wish you calmness, and happy spirit as you go through what we all hope for "an uneventful, successful" out come of your surgery. We'll be waiting to greet you with lot's of good cheer, as I am sure you'll be ready to move on in your life!
Best of luck to you always,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:56:37 pm »
Sue,
Glad to meet you.  I also have fibromyalgia,& osteoarthritis.  I just wanted to say to "make sure they give you all the meds you are currently on".
I had a problem while in the hospital, that they didn't give me all my nighttime meds.  I had to keep asking for them.  As you know, most people with fibro need the meds to be able to sleep.  When I was so out of it, my daughter helped remind the nurse.  As I got to feeling better, I could not remember a couple of the names of the night meds.  Drove me crazy!!!  ha.  They did have them down on the charts, but they told me, that one of the drugs, would only be given, if I couldn't go to sleep.
GRRRRRR.....I never did go to sleep without it......but just keep this in mind. 
I will be praying for you, and may God bless you. 
I hope your doctor is sensitive enough to all your illnesses', that they do what they can.
Keep us posted.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 08:15:46 am »
HI Sue-

Good to meet you, but sorry you have to be part of our little club.  :(

I want to second what Lacey said - make sure you take a list of all your meds with you so that you'll have it in your room.  And, make sure your daughters remind your nurses.  My husband was like a bulldog about reminding the nursing staff about the regular meds I was taking.  It pays to be diligent, no matter how good the medical facility is.

I'm very glad you'll have family there with you - that makes such a big difference and I do feel it helps speed recovery. 

We'll all be praying for you and sending you lots of good thoughts next month.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

satman

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 11:21:41 am »
even though we dont know each other i guarantee you have me praying for you,all will be fine.
looking forward to having a new postie.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Lamsue23

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 11:25:28 am »
Thank you all,
     I'm just checking in for a few minutes and was quite overcomed by all of you.  It's quite soothing to know that others who are going through the same thing  are there for you.  Again, a big thank you. 
     I'm also glad you told me to remind them of my MANY meds I'm on.  My daughter from NY is a Cystic Fibrosis and knows what it is to stay on top of your own meds, I'm sure she will be the sargeant on this.  When I did my pre-op yesterday, the nurse did tell me to remind them before they put me to sleep to be extra careful of how they move me during surgery.  She also told me to take all my meds till that morning except for one. I guess with being in such pain all the time we need to take it one day at a time and only deal with that day.  I will try to have my daughters let you know on my outcome.
     Kathleen, good luck on the 30th.  We will all have a lot to talk about like all the others.   My prayers are going your way.......

SueL/NH   
SueL/from NH

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 11:52:31 am »
Hi, Sue:

Welcome back and thanks for the introduction and update.  Please accept my wishes and prayers for a successful outcome to your pending AN surgery.  From your message, I believe you'll benefit from very competent doctors/staff and with your daughters present, I trust you're practical needs will be met while you're in the hospital.  As you know, having an advocate is very important...and you'll have that, in duplicate!

My wife suffers from maladies similar to yours; (fibromyalgia, major spinal problems) and also needs myriad medications on a daily basis just to function somewhat normally, so I can relate to your concerns, which I know will be ably handled by you and your daughters.  I was 63 at the time of my surgery (Retrosigmoid approach).  Fortunately, I had an outstanding neurosurgeon with over 30 years experience operating on AN tumors and I was blessed with overall excellent health going in.  I had a splendid outcome (no complications) and a fairly rapid recovery, all things considered.  I pray that you'll have a similar experience.  :)

So pleased you find these message boards helpful and informative.  Please stay connected with us.  Thanks.

Jim   

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 05:28:04 pm »
Sue,
Welcome to this forum.  I too am having my surgery just before you, well really about two weeks before you -- thiis Friday to be exact.  It sounds like you'v been through adn are going through a lot.  I;m sure I'll be posting again before your surgery but just in case, I wish you good luck and hope the hospital staff takes excellent care of you in every way.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Lamsue23

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 05:49:09 pm »
   Wendy,

Good luck to you on friday, all my prayers are with you.  Is it me or are they're more of us having surgery lately.  Pretty soon we will be all recouperrating.  I happen to mention to the nurse that did my pre-op about the suggestion someone had on glasses.  She thought that using an old pair and removing the side you have your tumor on was an excellent idea.  I need my glasses to read so I will diffinately use that idea.

Having had this forum to research I know I'm going to feel better with the knowledge I have accumulated from all of you.  Thank you to ALL!!

SueL/NH
SueL/from NH

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 06:20:53 pm »
Is it me or are they're more of us having surgery lately. 

For some reason the surgeries seem to go in spurts.  But lately there have been a lot of weeks that are very full.  I think the AN Calendar is making us all aware of who is doing what when.  Actually the calendar was an excellent idea.  Many thanks to whoever thought of starting it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 12:23:34 am »
Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.  Take your meds, relax and start healing!  I wore my glasses over my bandage, but my glasses are hinged in such a way that they expand quite a bit too.  If that doesn't work, then take off the arm.  I can't see without mine either!  Just take the recovery one day at a time.  Be patient.  We'll be thinking of you on your day.  All will be fine.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager