Author Topic: Another update...  (Read 3994 times)

JHager

Another update...
« on: December 19, 2005, 06:01:30 pm »
Hey All!

Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement.  I wanted to take the time to give a more detailed post-surgery update, and perhaps paint a picture of what the experience is like for those awaiting surgery.

So... here goes!

The day of surgery (November 7) went smoothly.  In fact, the surgery itself took LESS time than anticipated.  (This is like, I guess, going to the DMV and not running into a line.  Or something as similarly joyous!)  5.5 hours and I was done!  The docs ran into one issue - after opening my head, the found that the blood vessles on that side of my brain were directly in front of the tumor, so they moved the sarabellum (sp?) out of the way and got the tumor out.  Weird.  The tumor itself was pressed against the facial nerve, but not intertwined with it, so the nerve worked perfectly after surgery.

I was in the hospital for 72 hours, and my treatment was fantastic.  The first night was a blur, but I do remember being parched.  I was given drugs to dehydrate me during surgery (makes the brain shrink slightly, which reduces the risk of brain damage.  Not that you can tell with me!  ;D )  However, I was a bit nauseous, so the ice chips made me sick.  That being said, I was on a morphine drip and anti-nausea medicine, both of which send you to dreamland in a hurry!  I had 5 IV's when I woke up, and all but one were out by the next day.  I also had a catheter, which was both uncomfortable and gratifying.  I couldn't have stood up to pee for the first few hours, but I didn't have to worry about that.  Getting the cathater removed, though, is an exercise in controlled fear.  Not as painful as I thought, though.  (Still, I'd rather have a root canal without pain meds before having tubes in that particular anatomical area again.)

After I went home, I felt like my recovery really began.  I had some troubles sleeping at first, and I was constantly chilly - both effects of the sarabellum move.  That has smoothed out.  My biggest trouble was/is the lack of tears in my eye - but I admit I didn't have it treated in as timely a fashion as I could have.  It's under control now.  That was the absolute BIGGEST annoyance!  :'(

Had the staples out of my incision on day 9 after surgery.  28, all told, and they come out much easier than stitches.  In fact, I only felt two of them being removed - the others just ended up in the 'catch' pan without my knowing they were gone.  The scar is impressive, but healing nicely.  It makes an interesting conversation starter.

My facial nerve function slowed due to swelling, but it has begun to recover.  Scary, but not overwhelming.  It's amazing how a little movement in positive direction means so much!  :)

Okay, I don't want to be too long winded.  ("Too late!", I can hear my friends, students, and relatives yelling!)  In summary: I am pleased with my result, although I wouldn't want to go through it again.  I envy those who had the option of radiosurgery, and have had success with that procedure.  Brain surgery is not a light experience!

If anyone had any further specific questions, or if I can offer more detailed advice, please let me know.

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

shoegirl

Re: Another update...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 07:58:49 pm »
Josh,

So happy that you gave us an update, I have been wondering how you are feeling.  It sounds like you are doing pretty good?  I see your sense of humor and positive outlook are still the same! ;D

Please take care and keep us updated!

Happy Holidays!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

cookiesecond

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 02:27:51 am »
Josh,
It is so good to hear from you as I have been thinking of you.I thank God for your progress and hope it continues.I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas.
Take care and welcome back.
Lynn

Sanddollar

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 09:37:18 am »
Josh,

So glad to hear that you are progressing well.  While the prospect of this surgery is daunting, having the benefit of others' experiences makes it so much easier to deal with.  Thank you for sharing!  I will be soaking up every bit of info I can before my "big day" the last week of January.

Sanddollar
1cm x 2cm, Left side -Translab
Drs. Vrabec & Trask - Jan '06
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

David707

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 01:02:54 pm »
Josh,
So glad you are doing well.  Thanks for sharing with us.   Wish you the best for the recovery.  You will contiune to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sanddollar,
Good to know you have scheduled the treatment.  You will also be in our thoughts and prayers.  Please keep us informed.  May you have a peaceful mind through the whole event !  Best wishes !

David
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

SuzeAN

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 10:21:41 am »
Josh, Great to hear your recovery is going awesome!  You sound well and very encouraging! Happy New Year to you, this has to be a better year than 2005..

Cheers,
Susan R.
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

Sanddollar

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 12:09:24 pm »
David,

Thanks a million for the thoughts and prayers and insight.  I am truly at peace with my decision, and with all of the support I am getting here and from family and friends I think that everything will be just fine.  It is time now to just let go and let the good Lord and good doctors do their work!

Here's to well-being in 2006!  Happy New Year!

Sanddollar
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

cookiesecond

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 12:22:39 pm »
Sanddollar,
You will be in my thoughts and prayers.There are many of us out here with sucessful outcomes.
I pray for wisdom and guidance for the doctors and a great outcome for you. Keep family and friends close by and let them take care of you.
Take care and keep us posted,
Lynn

Sanddollar

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 01:29:59 pm »
Thanks, Lynn.  I don't know what I would have done without this forum and those, like you, who post here and provide such love and encouragement.  There is no substitute for the wisdom of those who have "been there" and I feel truly blessed that so many folks have shared so much with me.  I hope you have a very happy and healthy 2006!

Regards,

Sanddollar
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 11:41:46 pm »
Sanddollar, Just wanted to add my well wishes and prayers for a great outcome for you. May 2006 become a wonderful year for you.

Josh, Always great to hear updates. You all feel a little like family and I do worry when I dont hear from you all. Sounds like your surgery went very well indeed. What a wonderful gift to have it over and be recovering.
Much love to you all.........Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Sanddollar

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 07:03:44 pm »
Hi Sherry -

Thanks so much for the support.  As I sit here at the beginning of '06 I am prepared for it to be a year of healing and introspection.  I was diagnosed just before Thanksgiving, turned 40 in December, and am now readying myself for surgery.  My AN has put a lot of things into perspective, and I've discovered that some of the things I've worried so much about really don't matter.  Worrying itself seems pretty silly, now, too.  Something I'd never even heard of before - AN - became my problem, not the things I spent so much time worrying about!    8)

I wish you all the best for the new year!

Sanddollar
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

luv2teachsped

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 09:31:36 pm »
sanddollar- 
    You'll do great, just keep your positive attitude!  Your post summed up my year also.  One year ago today I decided to walk out after 25 years of a verbally and emotionally abusive marriage.  The following week I filed for divorce, even though I had just came from the ENT with my AN diagnosis.  For the 7 months prior to my surgery was pure %$#@.  I knew there was nothing I could do about my AN and had to deal with the divorce and all its ugliness.  My divorce was final the day after my surgery, I had a personal protection order against my husband to keep him away from the hospital .  7 1/2 months later, after surgery, divorce, purchasing a house, a multitude of bills etc...I can honestly say it was a great year!  I've healed physically, emotionally and spiritually, and know I can do anything with God on my side!   Sorry to go on, but I am looking forward to a new year. Happy new year to everyone, this board has been a godsend!   8)luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Sanddollar

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 11:17:00 pm »
Thanks, Luv2teachsped.  Sounds like 2006 will be your year!

You are a very strong individual to get through the trials that have confronted you in the past year.  Funny how confronting one's mortality helps us understand what is/is not working in our lives.  Onward and upward!

Regards,

Sanddollar
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!